123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Store Display ! Restore Default Settings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Apple TV Store Display ! Restore Default Settings Reply with quote

OK, so I bought an Apple TV that was in a store display kiosk. It has the demo loop on it. I read you can just restore default settings and do a System Recovery (Restore). I can't try it being my TV has no Component or HDMI Inputs. (Yea I Know, I'm a Dinosuar AKA Dino). I'm going to hook it up to my Monitor just for testing. Has anyone ever bought a demo. It seems like a real easy process, hoping that everything is OK with the demo model. It's the 40 GB Hard Drive Apple TV). I read a lot about it, and how it can be done on other forums, I was just checking with the expertise & knowledge of the members I know on 123macmini. Thanks Guys !
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grover Time

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A factory reset should clear everything. Then you can update the software in the setting menu. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the demo?
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've tried all that already! I've been researching this for a couple of days now. I bought it at Circuit City !
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what I do, it comes back to the Question Mark.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are places online where you could find the original image of the AppleTV's hard drive Wink
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
There are places online where you could find the original image of the AppleTV's hard drive Wink

That may be his only hope. I would try unplugging everything (power and video) from your Apple TV for a couple seconds and plugging it back in Dino. Do this several times. If that doesn't work, you probably need to take action with the HDD or find a service center. I was on the verge of calling TechRestore when my Apple TV died. They have a repair program for the Mac mini and Apple TV.

http://techrestore.com/mini/
iLife's a Bitch!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not up to finding a restore image online, you may be able to plead your case to a local Apple Store and have them restore it for you, at no charge. It's worth a shot, if there's a store nearby....

While the AppleTV runs a version of Tiger, it has some unique partitions on it, so restoring it could be a bit involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Like I said I spent the better part of the evening unplugging & pressing the Remote in every possible combination trying to trick it into booting. But none of it worked. I would love to be able to get the image online. I'll look. So far I have not found it. Does anyone on here have it ?

If there was an Apple Store less than 300 miles away, I'd probably bring it there. But there isn't. I'm in the Panhandle of Florida.

If I'm getting the Question Mark, is it possible the hard drive got disconnected inside ? Like I said, I'm not it's first owner.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking for smallatv.rar
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You.
I took the Apple TV apart. It's really easy to open & there's not very much inside. A couple of people mention a bad "ide Hard Drive Ribbon Cable" was there problem. I don't think that is the problem in my case, but it's worth a try. So I'm going to try it. If that's not it, I guess I'll give the full "Science Project" Smile a go. But I need a Laptop Hard Drive Enclosure for that project.

I also have an Apple Certified shop by me. I know the guy. Maybe he could just do it for me there. He should be able to, right? How much do you think they would charge for something like that?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Mac Migs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just replace the original drive with a 250GB drive with the AppleTV image(software) already on the drive...?

250GB NEW Hard Drive for Apple TV with Instructions

Trust me, the original 40GB hard drive fills up REALLY fast. You're going to want more storage space. I bought one of the 250GB drives on Ebay myself but I think it was from another seller and paid a little bit more. The link above is a great price.. $118 shipped.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Did not realize they sold the hard drive pre loaded with the Apple TV Software. Thanks.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Mac Migs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Wow. Did not realize they sold the hard drive pre loaded with the Apple TV Software. Thanks.

Ya, I think that'd be the best way to go for you. And since you've already opened up your AppleTV, it shouldn't take you long to upgrade the hard drive if you decide to get one of those on Ebay. I think it took all of about 15 minutes or so when I upgraded mine.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't I be able to Watch anything I have on iTunes on the Apple TV ? I have a 500 GB External Firewire MyBook which is home to my iTunes and it is plugged into my Mac Mini. I really don't see myself buying or renting many movies from iTunes, so in my case 40 GB would not even be used. My external MyBook (my iTunes) would be what I would be watching and listening to most of the time.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't I be able to Watch anything I have on iTunes on the Apple TV ? I have a 500 GB External Firewire MyBook which is home to my iTunes and it is plugged into my Mac Mini. I really don't see myself buying or renting many movies from iTunes, so in my case 40 GB would not even be used. My external MyBook (my iTunes) would be what I would be watching and listening to most of the time.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: