123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning iBook G4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gts116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Cleaning iBook G4 Reply with quote

So long story short, I have my iBook G4 in pieces. Since there's no electronic materials of any kind touching the outer shells (top and bottom), what is a good cleaner to use to get rid of 5 years of dirt/oil?
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"dirt and oil"

Really...?

For the dust I'd recommend an air gun......but watch out for static...it's a killer..

For the 'grease'...try carefully cleaning the surface with Cotton buds..

Don't rush.

Take your time to pick through the gunk and roll the bud to lift the crap off the surface..

Again....be careful about static build up...

Especially don't do this work while standing on carpet of any kind. Also avoid plastic or metal surfaces. a wooden table (static neutral) is best.

Also wear a static discharge strap..

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
gts116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was initially talking about the shell where your palms rest (dirt and oil) and the rest of the white casing. But your right, since its open, might as well clean up the boards.
usarcher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clean magic erasers work pretty well for the case. If you can get ahold of some speedball and combined that with the erasers, you can pretty much remove any grime from the case. I used this at work to clean the palm rests of our Elementary art teachers iBook, looked brand new afterwards.
gts116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy. Thanks
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the mix up...

But am glad you got the answer you needed...

cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

gts116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aqua, the boards look fairly clean. A little dust here and there but no real dirt that I can see. Is there anything that you would do for preventative reasons to the boards? I can't really imagine anything besides removing the dust, but I figure, just ask and maybe I'll learn something.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gts116 wrote:
Aqua, the boards look fairly clean. A little dust here and there but no real dirt that I can see. Is there anything that you would do for preventative reasons to the boards? I can't really imagine anything besides removing the dust, but I figure, just ask and maybe I'll learn something.

No not really. If they're clean then they're clean.

That said, some of the Pc & Mac computers that I have worked on in the past (for friends & clients) had layers of lint and greasy oil in them.

The worst belonged to guys who were chain smokers... Shocked

Only other thing I reckon you might do, is check the air vents at the back. Just give them a gentle wipe over with a fine cloth to get rid of anything that may impede the airflow.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
gts116 wrote:

No not really. If they're clean then they're clean.

That said, some of the Pc & Mac computers that I have worked on in the past (for friends & clients) had layers of lint and greasy oil in them.

The worst belonged to guys who were chain smokers... Shocked

Only other thing I reckon you might do, is check the air vents at the back. Just give them a gentle wipe over with a fine cloth to get rid of anything that may impede the airflow.

Aqua

At work we have some network gear in a janitor's closet that we have to blow out ever couple of months, biggest infestation of dust bunnies I have ever seen Wink

While you are checking the vents, check the little fan. Just a blast of air is really all it needs if there is any dirt build up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: