123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understudy Brings Hulu and Netflix to Front Row

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Understudy Brings Hulu and Netflix to Front Row Reply with quote

Understudy Brings Hulu and Netflix to Front Row
Friday, February 13, 2009
Posted by: Brian

I was browsing through the forums earlier this evening and noticed a new thread mentioning Understudy. It's a relatively new plug-in for Front Row that allows users to access video from Hulu and Netflix through the application. All you need do is download and open the package installer, subscribe to (or copy in) a couple feeds, and you're ready to roll. It's really that easy. And if you're logged into your Hulu or Netflix account through Safari, you should be presented with a few more simple options. I say "should" because Understudy is still a work in progress. That being said, most of what I saw worked really well. I would definitely suggest that you give it a try.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1135.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get it working with my Hulu queue or subscriptions. It sees them, but nothing loads up. It doesn't seem to play 480p videos either with Safari running. That what they suggest doing on the in the issues section. I was able to manually add a couple feeds though. Is anyone else having trouble with Hulu?
dswhite85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't get anything with Hulu to work =(
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswhite85 wrote:

Just manually add your feeds from the clipboard. It seems to works okay that way.
dswhite85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I uninstall this?
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswhite85 wrote:
How do I uninstall this?

Remove build/Release/frUnderstudy.frappliance from /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/. Restart or type killall Front\ Row in Terminal. Then fire up Front Row again.

http://code.google.com/p/understudy/wiki/install
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and installed this last night. It's pretty rad for Hulu. Cool
ardielola

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: understudy on external display Reply with quote

Having trouble getting Understudy to play on an external display. When using Front Row on my plasma tv, if I select Understudy and try to play content, it reverts back to the iMac display. Interestingly, if I activate front row again using the apple remote, I get back into the Front Row interface on the external display AND maintain the use of the iMac screen (i.e. it doesn't go blank).

This may have something to do with another plug-in that I have installed to automatically route Front Row to the external display (TV Row 2.0).

I guess the question is: Has anyone tried/succeeded in running Understudy on an external display?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: understudy on external display Reply with quote

ardielola wrote:
This may have something to do with another plug-in that I have installed to automatically route Front Row to the external display (TV Row 2.0)

Try trashing your com.apple.frontrow.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences and then reset the display number in TV Row. You may need to have Understudy running properly before TV Row can do its job.
rudieob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
dswhite85 wrote:

Just manually add your feeds from the clipboard. It seems to works okay that way.

how do i do this?
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudieob wrote:
scooper wrote:
dswhite85 wrote:

how do i do this?

Right click the RSS button for the feed you want in Hulu. This will give you the http:// link for the feed. Then go Understudy -> Manage Feeds -> Add -> URL in Clipboard in Front Row. After that, you can rename, move it, or whatever back in Manage Feeds.
rudieob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: