123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mac mini and tv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAKE DW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: mac mini and tv Reply with quote

ok well ive seriously been thinking of switching to a mac and i want to get a mac mini.....but i was just wondering can i hook my mini up to my sony waga tv??? and since i want to switch i was wondering what i should get....1.42,1g,combo,80ghd....or should i get something less exspensive?
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the new 1.5 mini with 64VRAM when it comes out. You will need the Apple DVI to Video Adapter if your TV doesn't have DVI.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9267G/A
JAKE DW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
I would get the new 1.5 mini with 64VRAM when it comes out. You will need the Apple DVI to Video Adapter if your TV doesn't have DVI.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9267G/A

dosent it come with the mac mini Question
ba747heavy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAKE DW wrote:
slickrick wrote:

dosent it come with the mac mini Question

It comes with a VGA to DVI adapter (VGA = old monitor connection), while the adapter linked is a whatever-they-call-a-tv-connecter to DVI connector.

FC
chameloncholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has anybody here actually done this? Can you easily set up the resolution for a widescreen mode? How readable is small text for example? And is there an adapter for it to run through a SCART socket? Also what about sound, correct me if I'm wrong but no audio will ever be coming out of a DVI port?

And if it's at all usefull, some info about the TV.

Tuner:
NTSC • PAL • SECAM

Front Connecttions:
S-Video x 1 • Composite x 1 • Audio (RCA) x 1

Rear Connections:
Scart 1: RGB, Composite AV, and S-VHS (all in and out)
Scart 2: RGB, Composite AV, and S-VHS (all in and out)
Scart 3: Composite AV, S-VHS

I'm thinking that if you can get the VGA to S-Video one of the convertors pictured to towards the bottom of this page, might do the rest?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No audio comes out of a DVI port, it is merely for video. As for reading text on an SDTV, forget about it, especially using composite. I would only recommend S-Video out to a TV as it really does make a difference. You can run the TV up to 1024x768 if I remember correctly. I posted elsewhere on these forums about this, but I can't remember where.

I wouldn't recommend using a TV as your main output from the Mini unless it's HD and accepts HDMI or DVI (from a computer). There should be adapters from DVI to HDMI, though they're expensive. Watching a DVD or video on an SDTV from a computer is fine, but you can't really read anything.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: