123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

display out of sync in upper right hand corner of lcd tv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acmccl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: display out of sync in upper right hand corner of lcd tv Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been adressed before or if I'm just being a dumb noob. It seems like something that would come up a lot, but I searched here, google, and mac support with no luck.

Over the holidays I purchased a 1.83 c2d mm that i immediately upgraded to 4 gb ram. I'm using it as a media center connected to a 37 inch 720p toshiba lcd tv with a vga cable and the included dvi to vga adapter. When I am watching movies in full screen mode (either in vlc or boxee) there is a variably-sized rectangle in the upper right hand corner of the display that is intermittently a split second ahead. This happens most noticeably while watching a movie, but also happens sometimes in the finder if i'm just moving windows around. Just to be clear, it's tied to the physically location on the tv. It doesn't happen in a movie playing in a window (unless i move the window to the upper right corner of the display).

I'm suspicious that this has to do with something pretty fundamental like the vram and not some peculiarity with any of the hardware outside of the computer because I've also had this problem when, before I got the mini or the lcd tv, I would occasionally hook my macbook (2.13 gHz c2d, 2 gb ram running 10.4.11) up to my old tube tv with a video cable and a mini dvi to video adapter. The only seemingly relevant similarity between the macbook and the mini is the Intel GMA 950 graphic chip using a paltry 64 mb of shared system memory. This seems like the obvious culprit except that, if it were, I would imagine that more people would be having the same experience, and I wouldn't be having so much trouble finding a tread about it.

So anyway, if anybody has any info on this problem, or knows of a good place to learn about changing the vram allocation (a quick search of google suggested that it's not straightforward), I would really appreciate it.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can change the allocation of vram in OS X. Any chance of using an HDMI port instead of VGA?
BSteely

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the TV have anything like a game mode that can be toggled on and off? I realize your experience suggests a computer issue but I would not rule out a problem with the display.

Alternately, do you have any other computers around that you can try with the TV over the VGA interface? That would be another thing to try to isolate the problem.
acmccl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, the problem was fixed by using a DVI to HDMI cable. The color looked terrible at first with HDMI, but after a bunch of fine tuning with the advanced color controls, everything looks great.

I guess it's some sort of general issue converting from digital to analog. As I mentioned before, I had the exact some problem with two, fairly different set ups: 1) MacBook to CRT TV via mini DVI to video adaptor and video cable (i.e. the white cable of the old school red, yellow, and white), and 2) Mac Mini to HDTV via DVI to VGA converter and VGA cable. I'm still surprised that more people haven't been discussing this problem. My only guess is very few people connect a mini (or any other dvi output) via VGA.

In any event. Problem solved. Thanks for the input!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I connected my mini via VGA to my Toshiba, and have never had any think like that happen to me. So that might be why people aren't discussing it....

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I connected my mini via VGA to my Toshiba, and have never had any think like that happen to me. So that might be why people aren't discussing it....

SC

I Agree.
acmccl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I guess along the way I conjured some bad VGA karma.

In any event, I'm just glad it's solved.
vead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: reply to original post Reply with quote

I am actually having the exact same problem, this "mis-sync" appears as a rectangle in the upper right hand corner of the screen, always a fraction of a second behind the rest of the video, and this only happens when I am using the TV as my primary display, connected to my notebook by VGA cable... Seeing as we both have Toshiba 37" LCD TVs, what are the odds of this being a coincidence?

I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro, and now somewhat relieved to know its not just my notebook, but not exactly comforted by the fact that it has something to do with the tv as well... I also wondered if i was the only person having this problem, and actually had to reword my search terms a few times to find a post with similar symptoms... So maybe others have had the same issue and just haven't described it the same way in their post, or searched using the same words...

Anyways, i will try using a VGA to HDMI cable, see if that helps, and will probably contact Toshiba, as my TV is new and still under warranty, let you know...
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: reply to original post Reply with quote

vead wrote:

Anyways, i will try using a VGA to HDMI cable, see if that helps..

There is no VGA to HDMI cable. Vga is analog, HDMI is digital.

You can go from DVI to HDMI, but not from VGA to HDMI, without using a signal converter.
falconer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got here via Google search; it's the only topic I could find about this. I've experienced a very similar problem:

MacBook white, Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz, 2 GB RAM
--> Mini-DVI to VGA adapter from MonoPrice.com
--> 25ft VGA video and 3.5mm audio cable from MonoPrice.com
--> PC input on Toshiba 26" HDTV (26AV500U)

When watching a full-screen video, in the full 1360x768 resolution, I get the out-of-sync jumping rectangle in the upper right corner of the TV screen. Same thing happens when anything is moving around quickly on the screen. It comes and goes every minute or so; starting bigger and getting smaller, moving off the screen, and then repeat.

However, I've changed the resolution to 848x480, and now the problem no longer occurs. I'd rather have 480 lines of perfect video than 768 lines of maddeningly out-of-sync video in the corner.

Maybe if I get a new MacBook one of these days, the problem won't happen at all.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falconer wrote:
I got here via Google search; it's the only topic I could find about this. I've experienced a very similar problem:

MacBook white, Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz, 2 GB RAM
--> Mini-DVI to VGA adapter from MonoPrice.com
--> 25ft VGA video and 3.5mm audio cable from MonoPrice.com
--> PC input on Toshiba 26" HDTV (26AV500U)

When watching a full-screen video, in the full 1360x768 resolution, I get the out-of-sync jumping rectangle in the upper right corner of the TV screen. Same thing happens when anything is moving around quickly on the screen. It comes and goes every minute or so; starting bigger and getting smaller, moving off the screen, and then repeat.

However, I've changed the resolution to 848x480, and now the problem no longer occurs. I'd rather have 480 lines of perfect video than 768 lines of maddeningly out-of-sync video in the corner.

Maybe if I get a new MacBook one of these days, the problem won't happen at all.

DVI to VGA does work fine, when using a 4-6' cable. 25' of VGA can lead to problems.

There are a few things you can try:
A shorter VGA or DVI - HDMI cable (to see if thats the problem) Try ALL HDMI inputs!

The OP was able to get his HDTV working with a DVI-HDMI cable, but posted "The color looked terrible at first with HDMI, but after a bunch of fine tuning with the advanced color controls,everything looks great"
I dont know if thats his TVs controls he used. You have to calibrate the mini to the TV for the best picture. Did you do that?

Where did you get the resolutions ex. system preferences Or the display icon in the menu bar?
FWIW, the display in the menu bar can be set to TEN, this could give you more resolution options, (i think its set to three) change it to 10! There is a chance your resolution could be in the menu bar.

You can see the different resolution options between system preferences & the display icon in the menu bar.

falconer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tales wrote:
DVI to VGA does work fine, when using a 4-6' cable. 25' of VGA can lead to problems.

A shorter VGA or DVI - HDMI cable (to see if thats the problem) Try ALL HDMI inputs!

The OP was able to get his HDTV working with a DVI-HDMI cable, but posted "The color looked terrible at first with HDMI, but after a bunch of fine tuning with the advanced color controls,everything looks great"
I dont know if thats his TVs controls he used. You have to calibrate the mini to the TV for the best picture. Did you do that?

Where did you get the resolutions ex. system preferences Or the display icon in the menu bar?
FWIW, the display in the menu bar can be set to TEN, this could give you more resolution options, (i think its set to three) change it to 10! There is a chance your resolution could be in the menu bar.

You can see the different resolution options between system preferences & the display icon in the menu bar.

Yeah, I did the calibration and I made sure it was set at the native resolution. There was another similar resolution (1360x765) but it made no difference. I basically tried all the combos. It would only stop flickering in the top-right corner when the horizontal resolution came down to 480 lines.

I figured I might run into a bit of trouble with such a long cable, but according to some of the other replies here, the problem might be in the VGA output, period, no matter the length of the cable.

It would be nice to try a DVI->HDMI cable, but I don't have one on hand, nor do I feel like buying one and having it shipped just to try it out. I'm not sure how I would get the audio from the computer to the TV in that case anyway, as my TV doesn't have any option to specify a separate audio source for an HDMI input.

Although it's unfortunate I can't go any higher than 480 lines without the flickering in the corner, I think it's OK. I mean, my MacBook isn't exactly a powerhouse. It stutters playing 720p video, even when no external monitors are connected, so it's not like I'd even be able to enjoy 720p video if I got the better output to work.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falconer wrote:
tales wrote:

Yeah, I did the calibration and I made sure it was set at the native resolution. There was another similar resolution (1360x765) but it made no difference. I basically tried all the combos. It would only stop flickering in the top-right corner when the horizontal resolution came down to 480 lines.

I figured I might run into a bit of trouble with such a long cable, but according to some of the other replies here, the problem might be in the VGA output, period, no matter the length of the cable.

It would be nice to try a DVI->HDMI cable, but I don't have one on hand, nor do I feel like buying one and having it shipped just to try it out. I'm not sure how I would get the audio from the computer to the TV in that case anyway, as my TV doesn't have any option to specify a separate audio source for an HDMI input.

Although it's unfortunate I can't go any higher than 480 lines without the flickering in the corner, I think it's OK. I mean, my MacBook isn't exactly a powerhouse. It stutters playing 720p video, even when no external monitors are connected, so it's not like I'd even be able to enjoy 720p video if I got the better output to work.

DVI doesn't carry audio DVI - HDMI will be video only. I guess you can try
http://www.madrau.com/ That could help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: