123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Discontinues 20-inch Cinema Display

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Apple Discontinues 20-inch Cinema Display Reply with quote

Apple Discontinues 20-inch Cinema Display
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Posted by: Fran

Apple has discontinued the 20-inch Cinema Display from their product line. In a worldwide bulletin sent to its sales and service channels today, Apple said the 20-inch Cinema Display had reached its End of Life. As a result, the company would be canceling all pending orders. This news doesn't come as a giant surprise though. Apple said they would be moving all future products to the Mini DisplayPort when the new unibody MacBooks and 24-inch LED Cinema Display were introduced last fall. Now, when exactly are these products coming? The Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro are long overdue for updates and now there's sort a hole in the display lineup. I don't know about you, but next week sounds good to me.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1139.html
Fazzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this means the new stuff is ready to go. I am so tired of waiting around. Mad
jrt1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they come out with new displays and Mac minis next week. AppleInsider just posted a picture of the new Mac mini. It looks kind of fake, but you never know.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/19/photo_of_next_gen_apple_mac_mini_in_the_wild.html
RobbyM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope they don't replace this with a 20" glass display. I don't care for the glare on the 24" model.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes more of the shiny shiny. Crying or Very sad
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobbyM wrote:
I really hope they don't replace this with a 20" glass display. I don't care for the glare on the 24" model.

It doesn't make sense to keep the 20" displays in production with newer LCD technology coming out, and decreases in LCD costs. Many seem to purchase 22"+ displays. They just upgraded most of the displays at work to 22" or 24" displays.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
It doesn't make sense to keep the 20" displays in production with newer LCD technology coming out, and decreases in LCD costs. Many seem to purchase 22"+ displays. They just upgraded most of the displays at work to 22" or 24" displays.

I think 22" is the new 20". That's what most of the stores seem to be selling these days. They also rate higher in online sales.
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame to see this things go. They were awesome displays. I've been totally happy with my 20". It has served me well over the years. I just hope they replace it with something as nice. And when I say nice, I mean something with a matte screen. That new 24" is a little too shiny for my tastes. Coming in at a lower price point wouldn't be shabby either.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad very sad!!!

I look at this as a bad move for apple most people purchased the 20 inch monitor because of price.

Now with stoping production of this monitor does this mean apple monitors are going to get cheaper. If not. Users are just going to purchase ibm monitors and apple's monitor sales are going to take a hit.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Sad very sad!!!

I look at this as a bad move for apple most people purchased the 20 inch monitor because of price.

Now with stoping production of this monitor does this mean apple monitors are going to get cheaper. If not. Users are just going to purchase ibm monitors and apple's monitor sales are going to take a hit.

I really don't think Apple will go cheap in quality, but it wouldn't hurt to go cheap on price. We buy Apple displays for their top quality in all aspects, and they know that. Technolgy only gets better and less expensive, so what we used to pay years ago for a 20" now gets us a few more inches.

Most of us seem to want bigger when it comes to TVs or monitors as well, so like g5g5 said, 22" is the new 20".

...but yes, with fierce competition, and an aching economy, a lower price, even a rebate or bundle discounts would not hurt anyone.
somefreak90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this means there will be some remaining ones on clearance for cheaper prices... I've been looking into getting one of those...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somefreak90 wrote:
Hopefully this means there will be some remaining ones on clearance for cheaper prices... I've been looking into getting one of those...

I'm not sure you'll be able to find one with a big discount. You won't be sorry if you do though. They are awesome displays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: