123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD Intros New My Book World Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: WD Intros New My Book World Edition Reply with quote

WD Intros New My Book World Edition
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

WD today introduced its newly redesigned My Book World Edition network storage drive for Macs and PCs. The drive features Gigabit Ethernet and a USB 2.0 port for additional storage expansion, as well as an integrated UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) media server and iTunes server for streaming all of your music, photos and videos. Users can also securely access and share their centralized files from anywhere in the world where they have access to the Internet, using the My Book World Edition drive's Web remote access service. The new My Book World Edition is available in capacities of 1TB and 2TB, with prices starting at $229.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1137.html
Billistics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: DRM? Reply with quote

Is this world book crippled with DRM?

Here's a line from their first world book offering:

"Due to unverifiable media license authentication, the most common audio and video file types cannot be shared with different users using WD Anywhere Access."

By popular they mean MP3, Divx, all the good stuff.

Here's an article on the register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/

Buyer beware.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's between different users though. You can still get to your own stuff.

"Please note that Mionet/WD Anywhere Access does not restrict access to your own media locally or remotely"
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with a MediaSmart server at the end of the month. Beyond the Drobo (with DroboShare), I think it's the best NAS product out there right now for the money. Plus, we're talking was more redundancy.
Krametash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting they lost the dual drive model.
Also, I never knew they make 2TB 3.5" drives Shocked
I have to say, I'm starting to like WD's stuff - The sutomatic backups and stuff look like a good solution for unfortunate PC users who don't have the gift of time machine Wink
Our family recently got one of their media players, and it works like a charm!

Kramer Smile
20" Samsung Widescreen display
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krametash wrote:

They just came out a few weeks ago. In fact, I think WD was first to market with their drive.

Krametash wrote:

Personally, I don't like the idea of putting all of my data on a single 2TB hard drive. I would at least want another 2TB for a mirror. WD's 2TB drive is crazy expensive though. I'm talking like triple the price of most 1TB drives.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krametash wrote:
I have to say, I'm starting to like WD's stuff - The sutomatic backups and stuff look like a good solution for unfortunate PC users who don't have the gift of time machine Wink
Our family recently got one of their media players, and it works like a charm!

Kramer Smile

WD does make a 2TB drive, it's slow though.

I've always been iffy about WD, and lately, from personal and friend experiences, I've learned to never trust WD (at least for the time being).
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I'm going with a MediaSmart server at the end of the month. Beyond the Drobo (with DroboShare), I think it's the best NAS product out there right now for the money. Plus, we're talking was more redundancy.

The HP MediaSmart Server rocks, it's the best thing out there, and HP now supports PC's and Mac's.

I don't have one, cause I built my own Windows Home Server, but the HP perhaps makes more sense cause of size, warranty, and someone you can call to bug if you have issues. I built my own only because I wanted to use the WHS OS (It's Server 2003: Small Business Edition), to it's full potential.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: