123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini to PC with ethernet crossover cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monty77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Mac Mini to PC with ethernet crossover cable Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a PC connected to a wireless LAN. I'd like to connect the Mini to the PC using a crossover ethernet cable so I can use the internet connection. Does this work? Do I need to enable ICS on WINXP?

Thanks!
Adam
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a firewire cable to connect both of mine. There are builtin firewire adapters on both Mac & XP. I just gave them each static ip's and no gateway.

The cross over cable should work though. I've not used ICS on Windows as I have a gateway.

Perhaps a usb wireless adapter for the mini? No way to get a cable to your router from the mini?
monty77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
I used a firewire cable to connect both of mine. There are builtin firewire adapters on both Mac & XP. I just gave them each static ip's and no gateway.

The cross over cable should work though. I've not used ICS on Windows as I have a gateway.

Perhaps a usb wireless adapter for the mini? No way to get a cable to your router from the mini?

I've not found a USB adapter that's mac compatible...cable across room is worst case scenario Smile

Cheers,
Adam
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I wired my house with a Cat-5 in every room, so the mini just plugs in. The cross over cable with connection sharing should work though. You would have to enable it on Windows though.

You'll need to setup the ethernet adapters on each with static ip addresses outside the range your router/modem uses and leave the gateway info blank. You should then see the Windows computer show up in the Network list on the Mac. That'll tell you the connection is working.
Courthold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:

Hi, could you tell me a bit more about how you set up file sharing using a firewire cable? I had heard that OS X did not support firewire "netwoking". Thanks
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
Fortunately I wired my house with a Cat-5 in every room, so the mini just plugs in.

Me too. I used to drag cable for a living, so I'm pretty anal about it (as well as, typically, going way overboard). I've got probably 25 runs of Cat5 in my house (with an equal number of Cat3 (phone) and RG-6 (cable)). The only reason I even OWN a wireless AP is because I bought a Tungsten C a while back. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nalenb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than me, I've only got about 8 runs of cat5/3/coax. I've actually got 2 wireless routers running and nothing uses wireless Smile

I plugged the firewire into each. Then on Windows, I setup a new network adapter with ip of 10.1.xxx without a gateway or dns info.

On the mini I went into networking and created a new adapter based on firewire with another static ip and no gateway or dns info.

On Windows I've shared out the C drive and on the mini I've setup sharing of the printer and home directory through samba.

I then connect to the XP machine using Remote Desktop from the Mac mini by putting in the XP ip address. This forces it to use the firewire connection for remote desktop so I can have millions of colores Smile

Now I haven't explicitly checked the file access over firewire alone (both are on the same ethernet hub as well), so I can't really answer your question. I can't see why it wouldn't work though.
lilrabbit129

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work fine. Just go through the wizard in XP and select the proper NIC. I know my PB has an auto-sensing ethernet ports, which means I don't need to use a crossover, but I'm not sure about eh mini. I'd probably just go with the crossover, just in case.
Courthold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb: what type of firewire cable are you using? New to this whole firewire thing, the windows pc has a IEEE1394 firewire port, and the mini has.. whatever it has.. Smile
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular firewire cable I picked up at Staples. The Mac mini uses the regular firewire connector (not the miniture one) and my Windows box uses the same connection. All I did was make sure the connectors fit. Firewire for the network connection made sense to me since I don't have any other firewire devices that would need the port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: