123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PyStar Wins a battle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
The iPod and iPhone sucess was due only to Apple being in the right place at the right time with the right product. It was this that saved their entire Macintosh computer division, and nothing else.

I thought that the iMac 'Bondi' series did that...along with OS X.

>> Ten Years since the iMac saved Apple <<

Both were Jobs' initiatives.

That along with his firing the Coca Cola rep...

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
jazzman wrote:
The iPod and iPhone sucess was due only to Apple being in the right place at the right time with the right product. It was this that saved their entire Macintosh computer division, and nothing else.

I thought that the iMac 'Bondi' series did that...along with OS X.

>> Ten Years since the iMac saved Apple <<

Both were Jobs' initiatives.

That along with his firing the Coca Cola rep...

Well Aqua, I know I rushed out and bought 3 bondis for the office to replace the tin 4400, but it took me a while to migrate to OSX.

I think Jobs is overrated as a person - If I remember rightly, he and Woz never even went to college (or if the did, they didn't graduate). They may be super-geeks, but it doesn't make them successful marketeers. They have to buy that kind of advice, but according to reports, they don't take it when they get it.

As I've mentioned many times on this board, I'm an OS fan of Mac, and am not particularly bothered what kind of a can it comes in. However, I will probably still buy original Mac HW - I'm not a poor student on a tight budget.

Anyway, it looks as if Apple is in for a shake up this year. Apparently, according to German law, Hackintoshes are not illegal.
https://www.pearc.de/index.php?osCsid=7f07333ce696154680d6560bae0a0f58
Purchase onliine - Shipping fee to UK: 31,00€ .
If anyone needs any help with the Kraut - i'm bilingual Very Happy
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:

I think Jobs is overrated as a person - If I remember rightly, he and Woz never even went to college (or if the did, they didn't graduate). They may be super-geeks, but it doesn't make them successful marketeers.

I may be sticking my neck in a noose here; but from my background in Psychology I'll say this much and no more...

Why Sociopaths do well in business.

You can decide to whom I am referring to, if anyone at all.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon Bigham ? (Her favorite genres are are contemporary fiction, literary fiction, historical fiction, chick lit, romances, thrillers and mysteries).
Or all the regular members of 123MM ? Confused
jazzman wrote:

Purchase online - Shipping fee to UK: 31,00€ .
BTW: RyanAir will probably get you there and back personally for less Wink
They're in Wolfburg, (where the Volkswagen factory is), just a short train ride from Hannover airport.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
Shannon Bigham ? (Her favorite genres are are contemporary fiction, literary fiction, historical fiction, chick lit, romances, thrillers and mysteries).

And .....?

Unless your wanting to conflate...Otherwise I am not sure of the relevance.

Maybe you'd like to explain the relevance...?

You know what a dumb Colonial I am.Cool

jazzman wrote:

Or all the regular members of 123MM ? Confused

Sorry mate.

Too obtuse for me.

Clearly my brain is asleep. Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

Aqua

I did - well, I made some suggestions Wink

Bigham wrote the article you linked to.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

That book was released the month before my father died. Pity it hadn't been released a lot sooner - that review gave an alarmingly accurate description of his behaviour.

Anyway, back on topic - like I said in another thread, the key to the legal mass-adoption of the Hackintosh will appear when computer makers produce machines that are capable of having OS X installed, without actually bundling it with the machine. Then it'll be up to Apple to try to enforce their EULA on thousands and thousands of individuals - which is going to be a hell of a lot harder than taking down a single PC builder...
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Anyway, back on topic - like I said in another thread, the key to the legal mass-adoption of the Hackintosh will appear when computer makers produce machines that are capable of having OS X installed, without actually bundling it with the machine. Then it'll be up to Apple to try to enforce their EULA on thousands and thousands of individuals - which is going to be a hell of a lot harder than taking down a single PC builder...

It's my guess that for starters, the German (and maybe the European) market is going to be flooded with Hackintoshes very quickly. So getting back to Jobs's 'insight', maybe palling up with Intel wasn't such a good idea...
On the other hand, Apple has had several chances over the years at becoming the #1 OS platform and has ignored them all - maybe ironically this will be the breakthrough they need.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
Aquafire wrote:

Aqua

I did - well, I made some suggestions Wink

Bigham wrote the article you linked to.

Ahhh...

Now I understand...

You were thinking of her on terms of matching those sociopathic tendencies.

Whereas I was dropping broad hints concerning certain famous person in the Apple community...aka SJ rather than SW.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

I may be sticking my neck in a noose here; but from my background in Psychology I'll say this much and no more...

Aqua

Bernard Madoff comes to mind...but theres hopefully no relation to Apple there.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Aqua was refering to a senoir exec at Apple who has taken a leave of absence, and after reading Bigham's article, i'm not left in much doubt.

Strange how this so conveniently coincides with the Hackintosh issue. Knowing Apple's reputation for enormous secrecy, the 'health' could be just a blind in order to let appear that others will be making major policy decisions, while continuing to micro-manage the whole shebang from wherever he has retreated to.

I remain confident in my personal assessment that while he may be a brilliant geek, even after all his experience as a CEO his decisions in company product policy (if indeed he makes them personally) do not demonstrate a talent for evaluating the market information he is fed with by his subordinates, and the feedback from users and potential switchers - particularly in the 40 odd % that are outside the USA; and that Apple needs a lesson in spreadsheet summarisation rather than computer code.

I would suggest that Apple's successes have been more due to their innovations coming just at the right time rather than to any stratagem; once again leaving us wondering if their marriage of convenience with Intel was such a good move.

Nevertheless, still waters run as deep as machine code, and only time - not rumours or speculation - will tell.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Aqua was refering to a senoir exec at Apple who has taken a leave of absence, and after reading Bigham's article, i'm not left in much doubt.

If it helps to us to stop speaking in code, Robert Cringely openly describes Steve Jobs as a sociopath and Bill Gates as a megalomaniac in his book "Accidental Empires". I'm not sure which one escapes lightly there...

(The book was re-written as a three-part documentary called "Triumph of the Nerds". http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=triumph+of+the+nerds# )
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

If it helps to us to stop speaking in code, Robert Cringely openly describes Steve Jobs as a sociopath and Bill Gates as a megalomaniac in his book "Accidental Empires". I'm not sure which one escapes lightly there...

Ahh...that's what we wanted in this thread.

Something of the same sort of directness that Rchard Feynman possessed.

Your a chip off his block JB...Wink Cool

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: