123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum spec for file server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Minimum spec for file server? Reply with quote

I was thinking of picking up a G4 PowerMac and putting a few drives in there to use as a file server but was wondering what sort of spec I will need to be able stream big video files from it. Would an old PowerMac have any problem sending high bit rate stuff across a network?
Cheers in advance

Edit: and what is the oldest PowerMac that doesn't have the 128gb HDD limit on the motherboard?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Texark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Minimum spec for file server? Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
Edit: and what is the oldest PowerMac that doesn't have the 128gb HDD limit on the motherboard?

I think you need a Quicksilver from at least 2002 to be 100% sure. So that's going to put you in the 800 MHz range. You'll probably need a controller card for something made before that.
Ryder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what server, i can run a server on my g4 sawtooth 500mhz no problem. Theres alot of different servers.
Here check this one out, google this server.
Mac OS X Server 1.2v3
Ibook G4 1.33ghz
2 - G4 PowerMac Sawtooth's, 20'' monitors
Blue & White G3, & old Crt
Ipod Touch
4 500gb external drives
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you decide to go to leopard server on a g4 look into leopard assist it will help you install leopard on any g4 computer without needed to mod your disk.

look for leopard assist on google.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: