123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iBook Outer Case 'Marks'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3mw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: iBook Outer Case 'Marks' Reply with quote

I had a carrying case I was using for my 12" iBook and recently I noticed some strange dark looking marks showing up on my ibook's pure white outer case. Upon investigation I found that the marks on my ibook corresponded with some raised edges in my carrying case. I've tried everything to ward away these marks, it's almost as if they are 'under' the white case itself. I did some snooping online and found out that the ibook's outer case is more absorbent and prone to discoloration-- and that a wonder solvent: "simple green" found at anyone's local wal-mart would help the issue. Before I go buy my own personal bottle of simple green I wanted to run my issue by my pals here at 123MacMini to see if this has happened to anyone else, and ask what was done to get the addicting white glow to return to their ibook outer case.

Have any of you iBook owners had a similar issue?
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone at work told me about iCleaner for iPods and iBooks a while ago. You might want to look into it or ask around. I think you can only use it on the back of the iBooks display. *I'm not 100% sure*

http://www.ipodcleaner.com/
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For scratches Brazzo has been reported to work wonders.

I would use Spray Nine instead of Simple Green it is a much, much, much better product.

I would try WD40 or isopropyl alcohol before you spend money.

Whatever you do be careful not to dull the glossy finish.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
For scratches Brazzo has been reported to work wonders.

I would use Spray Nine instead of Simple Green it is a much, much, much better product.

Good advice. I would stay away from Simple Green. A lot of people are using Brazzo on nano scratches. What ever you do, try a little spot first.
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bottle of "iCleaner" that I used for my ipod back in the day. But I'm not sure if that will remedy my problem, since it's geared more towards an iPod's finish, and mostly for fixing scratches -- and my problem is mainly a discoloration of the outer case of my iBook -- but heck it's worth a try, next time I am home I will try it out.

I have looked into getting iKlear if whatever I try to do to fix this dulls the glossy finish. Hell, my problem might even be the fact that my case has already rubbed off the gloss on the iBook, and iKlear would solve my problem. iKlear reportedly keeps ibooks as shiny as the day they ship, and even protects the case from static/friction.

http://www.theistore.com/iklear.html

Look what I found on MacNN, seems to be someone with my exact problem:

Quote:
I recently had an experience where case stained my iBook (seems the G4s are made of an absorbent plastic).

I couldn't get it off with the standard approved iBook cleaners, so I took it to the Apple Store.

They tried a product called "Simple Green", and it worked great! They used it in it's concentrated form, and it couased no damage. it was a wee bit sticky afterward, but I just used a bit of iClean, and it was as good as new. I think it's probably a bit extreme for everyday needs, but for those emergency situations, it worked great.

Whaddaya think? What would be its 'concentrated form' I wonder ?

EDIT: Oh wait, this guy hits the nail on the head! Same exact problem! This one is from the Apple Forums:

Quote:
My iBook has developed about 4 very odd horizontal, faint, black lines on the top of the case. They started out being faint black marks on the side, and have since grown to stretch all the way across the iBook.

I tried a paper towel with Windex on the case, which cleaned it very well, but did nothing for removing the black lines.

Someone suggested to this guy that he get the outside polished to fix the problem. Some help that is, any more suggestions guys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:

Whaddaya think? What would be its 'concentrated form' I wonder ?

They probably mixed it themselves from Simple Green concentrate.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=86866&cmArea=SEARCH

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/05_dilutions_consumer.pdf
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray Nine could likely remove the silk screened label off of the Simple Green bottle.

It's the best industrial cleaner that is readily available. Every drilling rig in Alberta use 3 products for clean-up. Spray Nine, Sunlight dish soap and diesel.

Simple Green is a good product. It is the environmentally friendly solution to Spray Nine and thus doesn't work as well.

You can pick Spray Nine up at any hardware store. You'll be glad you did because you'll end up using it on everything. Just don't breath it too much it's pretty harsh.
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a few things to report.

Upon a recommendation by someone with this similar problem. I bought 2 Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, used one of the bottom to see if it left any scuffs, It seemed to work and left extremely miniscule scuffs so I used it on the top on the affected area (where the four horizontal lines are. After about 6 passes and re-dampening the eraser with water, I began to notice a very slight difference. I held the iBook up to the light and the lines were still visible, as well as some very minimal scuffs from the Eraser. (The packaging on the eraser warns not to use it on polished surfaces.) I began to notice that the lines on my case were getting a little harder to see. However, holding it at a certain angle to the light reveals the dark lines again.

By rubbing my finger across the part of the case that I used the eraser on, then rubbing the part of the case that I did not use the eraser on, I could tell a difference in the polish, the eraser had scuffed it off. Luckily, I have some "iCleaner" and its forte is correcting minor scuffs with ease. I polished the case with iCleaner, the scuffs are gone, and is as smooth as the rest of the case.

Ultimately all this work paid off the lines are much harder to see, I am willing to bet that the iCleaner in and of itself did a great deal of the work. The lines are still there, However, and to get my iBook looking like the day I unboxed it will take several more tries. So I am here to say with some confidence, if anyone else has this issue, that it is indeed possible to fix it, but with lots of time and patience.
ufauxreal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your experience, do you have any advice on what to use (or not use) avoid the marking problem?
What type of case were you using? What will you use now?

Thanks.
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as I'm concerned, any case can cause these marks on a purely white iBook outer case. I was using a case that had many raised ridges to keep the laptop from moving when I walked. But apparenly that ended up creating the marks. Now I'm using a tucano 12" bag, and I am carrying it around with that.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like iCleaner kind of worked out. I wouldn't apply it again because it might take away more of the gloss. BTW, those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great on ink marks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: