123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shopping at the Apple Store
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Shopping at the Apple Store Reply with quote

I just wanted to pass along my latest experience shopping at the Apple Store. Some time ago, they removed the checkout station and replaced it with the personal and training station. I went in last night intending to do an in and out purchase of iLife '09. I went in, took a quick look at the new 17" MacBook Pro and then the new MacBook and proceeded back to the software rack to get the item. After that I stood around holding the item waiting for someone to come over and see if I needed anything. I then had to seek out someone to pay for my purchase. Not easy for someone who just wanted to pick up one item and get out. I know this might seem like meaningless venting to some, because if you shop in a grocery store, the slowest cashiers they have work the express lane, but I'm sure there are some who might agree with me. Usually I purchase things online, but nothing beats instant gratification. Cheers.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Bobaloo. As you know, I've just moved to the south of England and was pleasantly surprised to discover an authorised Apple stockist in a neighbouring city (Chichester). No doubt I'll be spending some money in there in the near future... especially when Snow Leopard is released! Cool

Edit: Just found their website! http://www.solutions-inc.co.uk/storelocator/
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the move went well. I do most of my Mac shopping at the Apple Store. In my local store, they used to have a place to checkout with real cashiers. I'm sure you'll be happy with one so close.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bobaloo. The Apple Store's great, but sometimes I like to see what I'm getting in person.

I've recently been playing with iMovie (after all of these years, I still don't know how to use it... Embarassed ) so the next purchase might be a memory upgrade for the Mini. 1GB has been fine up until now, but if I make a regular thing of learning my way around iMovie, then I think that's an app that will appreciate the extra gig.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was referring to, JB, was the Apple Retail store where you do touch the stuff before you buy. I went there because I wanted iLife '09 and didn't want to order it online.
You should have fun with iMovie, it's been awhile since I worked with it, probably '06 was the last version I used, the new one is different. Right now I don't have a video camera that works with it. You should get another GB of RAM, your mini will thank you.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
What I was referring to, JB, was the Apple Retail store where you do touch the stuff before you buy. I went there because I wanted iLife '09 and didn't want to order it online.

My mistake, Bobaloo. After living for so many years in the part of the country without any walk-in Apple Stores, I'm having to re-train my brain. Rolling Eyes
Bobaloo wrote:
You should have fun with iMovie, it's been awhile since I worked with it, probably '06 was the last version I used, the new one is different.

Yeah, '06 is the version on my Mini (still using 10.4.11). I seem to remember that there was a lot of hullabaloo when Apple brought out a new version that scrapped the time-line. Also, the tutorial I downloaded is absolutely first class, but is written for the '06 version.
Bobaloo wrote:
Right now I don't have a video camera that works with it.

I didn't think that I did either, until I recorded some 640x480 video clips using my £50 Samsung digital camera (which saves them as AVI files). Just out of curiosity, I dragged one of the clips into the iMovie window to see what would happen. iMovie spent a few seconds converting the file... and then it appeared in the 'Clips' pane of iMovie. Wow!
Bobaloo wrote:
You should get another GB of RAM, your mini will thank you.

I checked the price at Crucial, and they are selling 2GB for just over £20 including sales tax. I don't think that it's ever going to get much cheaper, so perhaps it's time to get the old bank card out! Smile
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JB,

You'll like this, my wife bought me this t-shirt:

AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like it Bobaloo! I just can't believe that TopGear has made such a big splash in the US... Smile
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping at the Apple Store Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
I just wanted to pass along my latest experience shopping at the Apple Store. Some time ago, they removed the checkout station and replaced it with the personal and training station. I went in last night intending to do an in and out purchase of iLife '09. I went in, took a quick look at the new 17" MacBook Pro and then the new MacBook and proceeded back to the software rack to get the item. After that I stood around holding the item waiting for someone to come over and see if I needed anything. I then had to seek out someone to pay for my purchase. Not easy for someone who just wanted to pick up one item and get out. I know this might seem like meaningless venting to some, because if you shop in a grocery store, the slowest cashiers they have work the express lane, but I'm sure there are some who might agree with me. Usually I purchase things online, but nothing beats instant gratification. Cheers.

Yup. Same frustration here. Although, it's nice if you pay with a credit card. Nearly any employee with those hand held thingy's can swipe your card and your on your way. Heck, they even email you the receipt so as to keep it "green" of course! It's kinda cool to be able to check out while drooling ON the latest notebooks.... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shopping at the Apple Store Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

I agree, it's just frustrating that I had to seek someone out just to pay for the item. I stood there holding the copy of iLife for a few minutes before I fianlly went over to a concierge and said, I liked it better with the registers because I would have been out already. When I checked out with the register station, they could email you the receipt. As I replied to the survey, it's not going to stop me from shopping there, but I wish they'd get that together.
Yup. Same frustration here. Although, it's nice if you pay with a credit card. Nearly any employee with those hand held thingy's can swipe your card and your on your way. Heck, they even email you the receipt so as to keep it "green" of course! It's kinda cool to be able to check out while drooling ON the latest notebooks.... Wink

AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I do like it Bobaloo! I just can't believe that TopGear has made such a big splash in the US... Smile

Only with those who have BBC America channel and others who rely on torrent downloads. We do both. The show is great and there is talk of an American version which will of course F*** it up as when they tried to do an American version of Fawlty Towers with Maude in the John Cleese roll. Saying that the bellman was from Toronto is not the same as from Barcelona.

BBC America is behind, we just finished season 11 of Top Gear but from torrents we've seen season 12 at home here. I love that show. They will be showing Ashes to Ashes on BBC America, I liked Life on Mars, so I will tune in.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What store were you shopping at Bobaloo? I don't get into the city much anymore, but I don't think the service is what it used to be in general. The stores are just so crowed these days. SoHo and the Fifth Avenue stores are basically tourist attraction. That said, I bet your shopping out at the Garden City store. I've never been in there before.

Last edited by devo on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
What store were you shopping at Bobaloo? I don't get into the city much anymore, but I don't think the service is what it used to be in general. The stores are just so crowed these days. SoHo and the Fifth Avenue stores are basically tourist attrations. That said, I bet your shopping out at the Garden City store. I've never been in there before.

No, it wasn't the Garden City store, devo, not Roosevelt Field, I was at the one in Walt Whitman Mall which is near me in Huntington. It's a smaller store, very crowded, but they used to have a counter in the back with registers to pay, they took that out and put the personal training section there so you have to seek out someone to check out if you are buying something unless it's a computer that they have to get from the back.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot about that store. I just don't make it over that way anymore. Like how many people do you think they have working in there? It sounds like they need to add some more people on the floor.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping at the Apple Store Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Ahhhh, trust Hackers to come in and move this thread back on topic!!! Wink Smile Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: