123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French v. German?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

French or German?
French
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
German
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 17

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
French is sexy...but as someone mention, spanish may be one to look into also.

I'm on my second year of it and hated from the start, but it's all my school has.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livenstak wrote:
As for silent letters and French pronunciation: you'll get what is called an 'exotic accent', and that will be fine with the ladies too. Wink (sorry I get a little bit too centered on that one)

Never had much of 'em, but couldn't say I wouldn't mind 'em.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another old poll, but n it's fun reading through them.
As a practically native speaker and teacher of both it wouldn't be fair for me to put one before the other. As one poster said, it very much depends what you want to use the languages for.

I'll also consolidate some of the other comments:
German pronunciation is easy for English speakers, and its also a phonetic languauge - WYSIWYS - What you see is what you say. For anyone who has not learned Latin, the Grammar can be quite a challenge. It's a nice language for being formal in.

French is sexy but the pronunciation is is difficult for English speakers to get right, and French with an English accent sounds awful. It takes a while to learn all about the mute suffixes too. The grammar is easier but has a complex system of conjugations.

If you need a dictionary for either language for your Mac, get the Ultralingua dictionaries.

If you want to get your head around something really different, try Thai
Very Happy Very Happy
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:

German pronunciation is easy for English speakers, and its also a phonetic languauge - WYSIWYS - What you see is what you say.

Easy huh...?

Get yer chops around this one... Very Happy

"Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz"

As for me, my grasp of languages is about as good as a one legged man in a kicking contest...

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into travelling, French will get you a lot further.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

Get yer chops around this one... Very Happy

"Rindfleisch/etikettierungs/überwachungs/aufgaben/übertragungs/gesetz"
Law for the transfer of supervision duties for labelling beef .

However, under the post-reform rules it would probably be more usual nowadays to say something like :
Gesetz für die Übertragung der Aufsicht Aufgaben für die Kennzeichnung von Rindfleisch.
Aquafire wrote:

As for me, my grasp of languages is about as good as a one legged man in a kicking contest...

About the same as my grasp of Information Technology Very Happy

BTW: That was just a compound noun - in Thai ALL the words in a sentence are joined together !

Fox wrote:
If you're into travelling, French will get you a lot further.
Quite right. It's even still used (a little bit) here in Asia in Cambodia and Laos. There's a large block of countries in Europe that use German though, and it's widely used in parts of Poland and one or two odd enclaves.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"

Last edited by jazzman on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter just completed an immersion course in German for her Winter term, a full semester in 3 weeks, so my vote would be you should take both. Maybe you'll select German over French..... no, I won't go there.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With enough exposure to them, the human being is capable of learning several languages - even the average US expats here in Thailand can get their lips round a few words of Thai after 5 years or so, and the majority of the world's population is bilingual, and certainly code-shifting is very common.

Being really good at languages, however, needs a natural talent, like being a good artist or musician (or web designer Cool ) etc., and discovered early enough can be decisive in choosing a career; otherwise learning several languages simultaneously can be a tad daunting for many people.
lumberjack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Blackadder once said, the German empire consisted of a hamburger stall in some remote corner of Europe.

German is easier to learn and the French can't spell so my vote goes to German.

That is very stupid. I learnt German and have never been there, whereas I have been to France countless times.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjack wrote:
As Blackadder once said, the German empire consisted of a hamburger stall in some remote corner of Europe.

In Germany there is a hamburger stall on every remote street corner Very Happy

Having mastered one foreign language, and getting used to thinking in in, learning others usually come much easier.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjack wrote:
I learnt German and have never been there, whereas I have been to France countless times.

Same here!

Although, the reception you get when you speak another language varies from country to country. The Spanish are very pleased if you try to speak their tongue, the French are sarcastic and the Swiss just answer in English. Rolling Eyes
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
lumberjack wrote:

In Germany there is a hamburger stall on every remote street corner Very Happy

And a Kebab stall & a Pizza stall & a Roast Chestnut stall & a Sauerkraut & Sausage stall.... Wink

& don't forget the beers..... Very Happy

Aqua

Which would you choose?

jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An the Thais just smile stupidly at you like village idiots because they couldn't figure out your awful Thai pronunciation or wouldn't take the gum out of your mouth when speaking Western Atlantinc English.
One of the most important features of their culture insists that must avoid at all costs admitting they can't understand something.

That's the main flaw in Education in Thailand.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by a French foreign exchange student from two years ago I should minor in french in college (she also said to major in political science, move to France, and become a politician), though that might be a biased vote.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
An the Thais just smile stupidly at you like village idiots because they couldn't figure out your awful Thai pronunciation or wouldn't take the gum out of your mouth when speaking Western Atlantinc English.
One of the most important features of their culture insists that must avoid at all costs admitting they can't understand something.
Well thats pretty much a description of most of South East Asia..including Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma, Indonesia...etc....

jazzman wrote:
That's the main flaw in Education in Thailand.
Our Western flaw....is quite the opposite. So many smart arse, street wise kids think they know everything about everything.

With those sorts of students; teachers often become punching bags... or worse...

Trust me when I say (as an ex teacher/lecturer)......I've 'been there...done that'...

Jazzman...(not that you don''t already know...)

Whatever you do or say......Don't Insult the King of Thailand......Crying or Very sad

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: