123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Appletv stuffed into a gutted G4 Cube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrain63

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Appletv stuffed into a gutted G4 Cube Reply with quote

I'm sure you say why? I just think it would be cool sitting in my media
center. Never performed this kind of mod before, any idea's or tutorials or am i on my own? Like to gut the AppleTV and just put the components
inside the cube.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a guide for gutting the Apple TV:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Apple-TV/Disassembly/201/1/

So you can see, it's not hard to gut the thing. I would have to think about a method to cool it though. The case of the Apple TV sort of acts like a giant heatsink for cooling some of the internal components. A big fan would probably work just as well though. The rest should fit into the new case without any trouble. You just need to use your imagination. Smile
gbrain63

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Here's a guide for gutting the Apple TV:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Apple-TV/Disassembly/201/1/

So you can see, it's not hard to gut the thing. I would have to think about a method to cool it though. The case of the Apple TV sort of acts like a giant heatsink for cooling some of the internal components. A big fan would probably work just as well though. The rest should fit into the new case without any trouble. You just need to use your imagination. Smile

That great thanks.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have been putting minis into Cubes so you might want to give that a check and see what all they did.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that someday everything will be modded into the case of a G4 Cube. What hasn't already? Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
SmegHeadzz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Appletv stuffed into a gutted G4 Cube Reply with quote

Hi All

This is my first post.

I had bought a Cube a while back after years of wanting one since their release, but I found that due to it's age it didn't satisfy my needs of using it as a media server and I didn't want to ruin the case moding the cpu.

My thought's turned to AppleTV since seeing the post here of the macmini in the cube. A couple of months back, after months of worrying about starting, I started my mod early July.

I still have a few small bits to fiddle with, tweak and some lights to add but it's in good working order, I have named it CubeTV. I plan to make a light from the AppleTV case (just waiting on alcohol rub) and to buy some bright LED's.

On a separate note I also bought a second Cube shell and plan to turn that into a fish tank (I'm waiting on the perspex), My girlfriend also wants her Macbook re-coloured purple which may be my next big project

If anyone's planning to do the same feel free to ask any questions, thought I'm sure there are much better ways to do it than the way I did.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for cooling SmegHeadzz?
SmegHeadzz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Appletv stuffed into a gutted G4 Cube Reply with quote

The AppleTV has a fan over the cpu for cooling so I've left that alone, I also figured it'll use free-flow cooling like the Cube did. I've also read that it uses the base of the case as a heat sync so I cut off the piece that the motherboard screws to and stuck that to the cube chassis. I haven't removed anything from the cube chassis except the airport card holder.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pun intended, but cool. Post some pictures of that sucker when you're done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: