123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros iWork '09
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros iWork '09 Reply with quote

Apple Intros iWork '09
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced iWork '09, the latest version of their popular office productivity suite. Keynote '09 introduces advanced object transitions, which automatically animate objects with a choice of effects and Magic Move, an innovative way to create sophisticated animations just by applying a simple transition. Pages '09 features a new Full Screen view that helps you focus on your writing and an outline mode to organize your thoughts. Numbers '09 introduces a quick way to group and summarize data and a dramatically simplified way to create complex formulas. Apple also announced iWork.com public beta, a new service Apple is developing to share iWork '09 documents online.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1110.html
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Keynote Remote app for iPhone/Touch. Once that's all released I may take the plunge.

I'll be buying the "Combo Deal" Leopard, iLife, iWork for $169... that seems like a great deal to me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
I'll be buying the "Combo Deal" Leopard, iLife, iWork for $169... that seems like a great deal to me...

I don't see that as such a good deal really, I can understand people upgrading to iLife09 & iWork09 but I'm not sure about Leopard being in the mix Confused Snow Leopard isn't too far away and you could end up with another upgrade again in a few months.

BTW Do Apple never offer a cheaper upgrade path for people who have already purchased iWorks 08 ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for Snow Leopard to come out. And then "boom", I'll buy the box set. That "boom" was in honor of Steve Jobs.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm waiting for Snow Leopard to come out. And then "boom", I'll buy the box set. That "boom" was in honor of Steve Jobs.

That's a great idea, thanks for mentioning it. I guess I'll wait a bit to upgrade. I can't wait though, I love iWork and haven't missed Office for about a year now (Even though I have it).
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
That's a great idea, thanks for mentioning it. I guess I'll wait a bit to upgrade. I can't wait though, I love iWork and haven't missed Office for about a year now (Even though I have it).

Yeah, I love iWork. It replaced Office for me a while back. I particularly like Pages, which looks to have received a couple of neat features today.

As for buying the box set, I'm assuming they will keep it around once Snow Leopard comes out. They could probably pull the offering just as easily.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

Yeah, I love iWork. It replaced Office for me a while back. I particularly like Pages, which looks to have received a couple of neat features today.

As for buying the box set, I'm assuming they will keep it around once Snow Leopard comes out. They could probably pull the offering just as easily.

That's true. It's not such a long wait, and perhaps it'll be worth it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
That's true. It's not such a long wait, and perhaps it'll be worth it.

That's my plan. I'm not really in a rush to buy the '09 versions of iLife or iWork anyways, even as sweet as they look. That being said, I can't wait to play around with the new iPhoto and take some private lessons from Sarah McLachlan in GB. Don't tell my wife though. Wink
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

I don't see that as such a good deal really, I can understand people upgrading to iLife09 & iWork09 but I'm not sure about Leopard being in the mix :

Here's my justification:

Leopard = $129
iWork = $79
iLife = $79

Grand Total = $287

Combo Pack = $169

I will nearly get a copy of Leopard for free, if I wanted I could turn around and sell it and make money on the deal.....

Or as Devo has stated, they may offer it with Snow Leopard as well.

I might by two if they do!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this might sound dumb, but I haven't been through a Mac software upgrade yet, I've been using Mac's for less than a year. Would I uninstall/remove iWork and iLife to install the new versions, or would the new version cause the old version to upgrade?

Since I'm already asking about upgrades, might as well ask about Snow Leapard too, once that comes out, will it just be a matter of putting the disc in, and OS X will upgrade itself?

Thanks in advance for your help !! Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I know this might sound dumb, but I haven't been through a Mac software upgrade yet, I've been using Mac's for less than a year. Would I uninstall/remove iWork and iLife to install the new versions, or would the new version cause the old version to upgrade

You just put the '09 disc in and it will overwrite and upgrade your older iLife or iWork applications. You don't need to do anything else.

ESUNintel wrote:
Since I'm already asking about upgrades, might as well ask about Snow Leapard too, once that comes out, will it just be a matter of putting the disc in, and OS X will upgrade itself?

It's really just that simple. You can also do an Archive and Install or Erase and Install. I assume these options will remain for Snow Kitty. I usually wipe the drive when it comes to an update like this. I like a complete fresh start.
iLife's a Bitch!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
I know this might sound dumb, but I haven't been through a Mac software upgrade yet, I've been using Mac's for less than a year. Would I uninstall/remove iWork and iLife to install the new versions, or would the new version cause the old version to upgrade

You just put the '09 disc in and it will overwrite and upgrade your older iLife or iWork applications. You don't need to do anything else.

ESUNintel wrote:

It's really just that simple. You can also do an Archive and Install or Erase and Install. I assume these options will remain for Snow Kitty. I usually wipe the drive when it comes to an update like this. I like a complete fresh start.

Thanks!! Sounds pretty easy to do. I usually start fresh with Windows upgrades, only cause their upgrades leave so much junk behind.
wingers99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

ESUNintel wrote:

Not quite true. Iworks 9 is a seperate package so youz end up with both on your HD. 9 can open 8 stuff so after checking all your old stuff opens correctly in 9 you can throw 8 away.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingers99 wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

ESUNintel wrote:

Not quite true. Iworks 9 is a seperate package so youz end up with both on your HD. 9 can open 8 stuff so after checking all your old stuff opens correctly in 9 you can throw 8 away.

+1

I have iWork 06' and iWork 08' installed

Some iLife apps will upgrade. iTunes and iPhoto will. While you can have both versions of GarageBand, iWeb and iMovie. I currently have iMovieHD 06' and iMovie 08'..... the other two I upgraded.

As far as the OS is concerned, it's an automatic upgrade deal. Most would recommend you do a clean install though... so that throws yet another wrench into the works....

Man, now that I think about it, it can be a painless or painful process depending on what you want....

My 2 cents...
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Cypher wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

I don't see that as such a good deal really, I can understand people upgrading to iLife09 & iWork09 but I'm not sure about Leopard being in the mix :

Here's my justification:

Leopard = $129
iWork = $79
iLife = $79

Grand Total = $287

Combo Pack = $169

I will nearly get a copy of Leopard for free, if I wanted I could turn around and sell it and make money on the deal.....

Or as Devo has stated, they may offer it with Snow Leopard as well.

I might by two if they do!

I'd think it was a good deal if Snow Leopard had been included, but as it stands with Leopard about to be replaced, it looks to me like they are just trying to push extra copies of Leopard out just before its superseded by Snow Leopard

Cypher wrote:
Snow Leopard isn't too far away and you could end up with another upgrade again in a few months

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: