123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Next generation to support dual displays?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would actually not shock me at all if Apple did it. You can't really even buy a GPU now a days that doesn't support dual displays. Even at the very low end.

Would be a nice feature for sure.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Rightondamark wrote:
Maybe someone caught a sneak peak and confused it with a FW port. That's what I'm thinking. Smile

It could also be HDMI. Wink

I was going to use a new Mac mini for HTPC, but if it gains support for dual displays, I'll probably use it on the desktop. This Mac mini will then become the HTPC in our house. Unless the new model has HDMI and something specific that makes it a true Apple media center. That would just make my head explode. I would head straight out and buy two of them. This sucker along with an Apple TV would then go on eBay.

Ya, my AppleTV would go on Ebay too. If it is HDMI, it would mean AppleTV is likely getting dropped, and they would do a better job marketing the Mini as not only a computer, but also as part of a home theater.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda doubt they'll give up on or replace the Apple TV because of its price point. In fact, most people seem to think the Apple TV is overpriced in its current form. This is still such a niche division of computer/device sales. If they can't sell the Apple TV at $200, how are they going to sell more of something at $800? No, I believe the Mac mini will stay a personal computer first. The remote functionality and Front Row are probably as good as it will get. Maybe they'll come out with a better media center application though. They could also bring the Apple TV software over to Snow Leopard. That would be the Front Row replacement. Apple also doesn't care for HDMI, Blu-ray or TV tuners when it comes to media center type features. They just want to sell downloads through iTunes when it comes to the last two. That's their business model. Oh well, those are my random thoughts on this subject.
MunsterMac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
With all this talk, its almost definitely sounds like something is coming. I just hope we're not getting our hopes up for nothing. Shocked

Gosh, I hope it gets updated. I'm starting to get a little worried about it though. I thought there would be a few leaked spy pictures out on the tubes by now. They sure couldn't keep the new MacBooks under wraps.
Sadidas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple will stick with a regular DVI port since that's what most people have. The second port with be a Mini DisplayPort. It will take the place of firewire on the I/O panel. The rest of ports will stay the same as the current models. That's my best guess.
urzakat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an HDMI port to output to your big screen LCD/Plasma TV or a AV Receiver?
Pinnacle TV for MAC Stick w/ Elgato eyeTV 3.0.4
zen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urzakat wrote:
How about an HDMI port to output to your big screen LCD/Plasma TV or a AV Receiver?

As long as it comes with a DVI adapter also I would love that.
TalkenRain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:

Will this change allow the new mini to support the 30" cinema display at all?
zen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TalkenRain wrote:
zen wrote:

HDMI won't.. but if they use the new mini display port that the new macbooks use then it will support the 30".
TalkenRain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
TalkenRain wrote:
zen wrote:

HDMI won't.. but if they use the new mini display port that the new macbooks use then it will support the 30".

WOW, then I'm sold Smile
Fazzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadidas wrote:
I think Apple will stick with a regular DVI port since that's what most people have. The second port with be a Mini DisplayPort. It will take the place of firewire on the I/O panel. The rest of ports will stay the same as the current models. That's my best guess.

AppleInsider now says the new Mac minis will have FW800. That's what will be replacing the FW400 port. They're also adding a 5th USB port.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/04/sources_17_inch_macbook_pro_nvidia_mac_mini_due_shortly.html

Cool
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazzy wrote:
AppleInsider now says the new Mac minis will have FW800. That's what will be replacing the FW400 port. They're also adding a 5th USB port.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/04/sources_17_inch_macbook_pro_nvidia_mac_mini_due_shortly.html

Cool

Firewire 800 would be fantastic, but I'm a little skeptical.
Huff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Apple comes out with a Mac mini with all these specs, my patience will be rewarded. I could have never imagined that support for dual displays and FW800 would be on the books now for this update. I was going to be happy enough with an updated graphics card and 802.11n. Don't let Steve know about this though. Wink
Zuma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GeForce 9400M with support for dual displays + FW800 + 802.11n = My Visa card being charged. Smile
NRecob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn. I will be so underwhelmed if the new Minis claim to fame is support for dual displays (a completely worthless "feature" for me).

And I could care less about "N" or FW400/800 (I'll take 2 more USB 2 ports thank you).

An NVidia graphics processor would be nice but not a must have (I have no interest in playing video games).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: