123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: Next generation to support dual displays?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Mac mini: Next generation to support dual displays? Reply with quote

Mac mini: Next generation to support dual displays?
Friday, January 2, 2009
Posted by: Brian

AppleInsider is reporting that the next-generation Mac mini might have the ability to drive dual displays. According to their sources, "those familiar with the company's plans say the small form factor desktop will have both the Mini DisplayPort connector first introduced on unibody MacBooks but also a Mini DVI connector. The reason for the addition is unclear, though it would potentially give the budget Mac dual display support that it has lacked since it was introduced as a PowerPC G4 model in 2005."

The ability to drive dual displays would come as welcome news. Until this point, Mac mini users have been relying on the DualHead2Go from Matrox or DisplayLink technology to drive more than one display. As many of you know, the Mac mini has only included a single DVI connector since being introduced in 2005.

That being said, I can't confirm the validity of this rumor about the next-generation Mac mini having more than one display port. It could still come with a single Mini DisplayPort connector though. Apple would then more than likely include a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter in the box with the Mac mini. This would make it compatible with most displays on the market, and eliminate the need for a DVI connector or second adapter. I mean, if the focus hasn't moved to adding support for dual displays.

Hopefully, we'll find out soon enough.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1103.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so buying one if it supports dual displays. Cool
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it includes a DVI adapter for a single display, I'm fine with that. Wink
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why a Mini-DVI connector? That really doesn't make a lot of sense. It would make more sense to include a regular DVI connector plus Mini-DisplayPort. Maybe someone caught a sneak peak and confused it with a FW port. That's what I'm thinking. Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
As long as it includes a DVI adapter for a single display, I'm fine with that. Wink

Agreed! BYODKM is fine and dandy. BYODKMA might be pushing things. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Fazzy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These new Mac minis keep sounding better and better. It looks like Apple may have finally come to their senses. I just hope they don't pull the rug from underneath us.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Maybe someone caught a sneak peak and confused it with a FW port. That's what I'm thinking. Smile

It could also be HDMI. Wink

I was going to use a new Mac mini for HTPC, but if it gains support for dual displays, I'll probably use it on the desktop. This Mac mini will then become the HTPC in our house. Unless the new model has HDMI and something specific that makes it a true Apple media center. That would just make my head explode. I would head straight out and buy two of them. This sucker along with an Apple TV would then go on eBay.
jrt1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If true, this would totally rock!

I don't understand the reasoning behind Mini-DVI though. Anyone have a good reason other than size? Confused
TimD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fit onto an iPhone or iPod touch or even a thinner Macbook air. The air ditched the RJ45 socket because it was too big.

Cheers,

Tim.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to believe the Mac mini will stay with one display connector. Mini-DVI is pretty much dead, so it would have to be two Mini DisplayPort connectors. It's also possible that someone confused this connector with a FireWire port like someone said before. That wouldn't be the first time this happened.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Why a Mini-DVI connector? That really doesn't make a lot of sense

Sure it does.... The Mini-DVI has been used on the iMacs and Macbooks for some time now, no point in taking up space they don't need to.

Apple most likely thinks most new Mini buyers will be buying their display to be used with the new DisplayPort connection, other buyers having their own display would simply use the Mini-DVI to DVI or VGA connector....

It actually makes a lot of sense to me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Rightondamark wrote:

Sure it does.... The Mini-DVI has been used on the iMacs and Macbooks for some time now, no point in taking up space they don't need to.

Apple most likely thinks most new Mini buyers will be buying their display to be used with the new DisplayPort connection, other buyers having their own display would simply use the Mini-DVI to DVI or VGA connector....

Yeah, but Apple dumped the format on MacBooks and the new Cinema. It looks like they washed their hands with the format. I believe Steve Jobs also said that all future products would have the MDP. The "other buyers" could just use one of the new MDP to DVI or VGA adapters. So why even include the Mini-DVI? They also made the MDP standard open source for other vendors to use. You know I have your back Hackers, but it doesn't make much sense to me either.

I could be talking out of my butt though. I have a wicked head cold starting. Laughing
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
Rightondamark wrote:

Yeah, but Apple dumped the format on MacBooks and the new Cinema. It looks like they washed their hands with the format. I believe Steve Jobs also said that all future products would have the MDP. The "other buyers" could just use one of the new MDP to DVI or VGA adapters. So why even include the Mini-DVI? They also made the MDP standard open source for other vendors to use. You know I have your back Hackers, but it doesn't make much sense to me either.

I could be talking out of my butt though. I have a wicked head cold starting. Laughing

Still current on the iMacs....

It's probably the head cold... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:

I was going to use a new Mac mini for HTPC, but if it gains support for dual displays, I'll probably use it on the desktop. This Mac mini will then become the HTPC in our house. Unless the new model has HDMI and something specific that makes it a true Apple media center. That would just make my head explode. I would head straight out and buy two of them. This sucker along with an Apple TV would then go on eBay.

Thats exactly what I want. With full support for HDMI, this could make it almost the perfect HTPC, but could kill Apple TV. I'd still like to see a Mini/Apple TV hybrid. With all this talk, its almost definitely sounds like something is coming. I just hope we're not getting our hopes up for nothing. Shocked
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Still current on the iMacs....

Current until Tuesday. I bet the iMac gets updated with a MDP at the same time.

hackersmovie wrote:
]It's probably the head cold... Wink

Yeah, I just chugged down a bunch of children's Dimetapp about an hour ago. It's all we had around. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: