123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPU upgrade advice needed. cache related question..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: CPU upgrade advice needed. cache related question.. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a heavily upgraded G4 AGP graphics (sawtooth) which I use as my 2nd computer. I use it as a music server, home workstation media center and file server. It currently has a Sonnet G4 1GHz (7455) upgrade with 2MB L3 and I feel the need to upgrade again. I know that upgrading is often not the best idea but I simply love gear slutting too much

On to the question.. I have narrowed my upgrade choices down to either the OWC G4 1.5GHz (7455) with 256KB L2 and 2MB L3 or the Newertech 2.GHz (7448) with 1MB L2 and no L3.

Here are my key thoughts..

L3 really helps out macs with a slow bus and my Sawtooth only has a 100MHz bus. The OWC option has L3 but is 500MHz slower and has an L2 only 1/4 the size of the 2GHz Nwertech. My current 1GHz CPU upgrade has L3 and it certainly feels faster than my friends 1GHz eMac which has the 7447 with 512KB L2 and no L3.

The Newertech is 500MHz faster but has no L3. Even though 2GHz would be great.. how great can it be on a 100MHz bus with no L3? It does have 1MB L2 which is 4x larger than the OWC 1.5GHz but L2 is used more for dealing data crunching right at the CPU where as L3 deals more with the transfer between the CPU and RAM which like I already mentioned is ideal for a system with a slow bus. Having L3 is literally like overclocking your system bus. The good things I have heard about the 7448 chips is that they use less power than other G4 upgrades and that they are up to 40% faster than the 7447. The 7447 can be found in the current Sonnet upgrades and its the most gutless version of the G4 ever made. So for me its either a 7455 with L3 or a 7448.

Will the extra 500MHz and 4x the L2 make up for no L3?

Also.. the 2GHz upgrade is $120 more. OWC sells the 1.5 for 259 and the Newertech for 379.

If you had my mac.. which upgrade would you want crunching your bits?

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm a pretty serious geek and understand all this tech very well but I always appreciate the thoughts of other geeks to add to my choice making.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one has the cooler looking heatsink? Cool Wink

I would more than likely go with the chip from OWC. I always heard that the chips with L3 did better on older machines with the slower bus speed. Enough so to overcome or equal a chip with a slightly higher clock speed. So I wouldn't necessarily get caught up in the 500MHz difference. The chip from OWC also costs less. I think once you get up around four bills, you should probably start looking at yourself in the mirror. Maybe it's time to put that hard-earned money towards a newer Mac. That's just my humble opinion though. It's also fun messing around with upgrades.
zen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Which one has the cooler looking heatsink? Cool Wink

Here is the OWC 1.5GHz:

The Newertech2GHz:

I know you were joking but I thought what the hell Smile

I think the Newertech looks cooler but I also think the OWC would be a better choice. I will use the $120 I save on upgrading the RAM from 1GB up to the 2GB max.

I already have a 4ch SATA PCI card and 2x 1TB HD. After this 1.5GHz i'm going to add a Radeon 9800 and a 10,000rpm Raptor to use as a boot drive. Before I add the 9800 though I need to modify an ATX power supply to give the Sawtooth more electric juice. I'm also going to add a 3.5" slot fan controller in the zip drive slot. Its a very high end one that comes with 2 temperature probes you can place anywhere in the case. It has 2 knobs to control fan speed and an LED display that displays rpm and temperature. I am even getting the zip drive face plate laser cut so that it will fit around the fan controller. Here is the controller:

Also, my Sawtooths case plastics have been painted white and very dark brown. I also plan on pulling out all the innards and painting the inside of the case black. This is going to be the most tweaked out pimpin' mac ever Smile

Here is a pic of my painted tower. It was painted with car paint BTW and also has car clear coat on it. Its like a mirror.. especially on the dark brown areas.

I'm going to make this old Sawtooth squeal Smile haha
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you have checked which version of the UniNorth chipset you have, and can not use a dual CPU set up?

In theory the 7448 should lay the smack down on the 7455, but I'd rather not trade in my 7455Bs for anything. Well, maybe since my Giga Dual 1.33 burned itself, maybe a dual 7448 would be nice!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
zen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I presume you have checked which version of the UniNorth chipset you have, and can not use a dual CPU set up?

In theory the 7448 should lay the smack down on the 7455, but I'd rather not trade in my 7455Bs for anything. Well, maybe since my Giga Dual 1.33 burned itself, maybe a dual 7448 would be nice!

SC

I have ran that test app and my Sawtooth IS dual CPU compatible.

But.. why does it matter when neither of these upgrades are dual? I would never spend 600-700 on a CPU upgrade. Maybe if it also fed me for a year Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the Newertech has the better looking heatsink. Laughing

I've actually seen bigger and better pictures of the OWC. I get a catalog from them in the mail about once every three months.

Dude, that looks like a really nice paint job. You can tell by the clean reflection on top. It also looks to have a little metallic flaking in the brown. Cool

zen wrote:
I am even getting the zip drive face plate laser cut so that it will fit around the fan controller. Here is the controller:

I'm sure that will look nice. I did something similar a couple years ago with a VFD on an Antec case. I used a faceplate from a 3.5" floppy. I just had to make the opening a little bigger. It looked really nice because it matched the rest of the case.

Post some more picures when you're done. I would like to the inside as well.
zen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

Dude, that looks like a really nice paint job. You can tell by the clean reflection on top. It also looks to have a little metallic flaking in the brown. Cool

Thanks! Yes it is metallic. Good eye Smile

The dark brown comes from my love of coffee. In fact.. the macs name is "coffee" hehe

Here are a couple shots of the plastics after they were painted but before they went back on the tower.

Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

SC

I have ran that test app and my Sawtooth IS dual CPU compatible.

But.. why does it matter when neither of these upgrades are dual? I would never spend 600-700 on a CPU upgrade. Maybe if it also fed me for a year Smile

Maybe the better performance of a dual?

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
zen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:

I have a C2D mini. I will use it when I need dual CPU power.

Do you think a its OK to spend 600-700 on an outdated CPU module? I don't..
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Thanks! Yes it is metallic. Good eye Smile

The dark brown comes from my love of coffee. In fact.. the macs name is "coffee" hehe

The credit really goes to my 20" Cinema display. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

zen wrote:
Here are a couple shots of the plastics after they were painted but before they went back on the tower.

I love spraying stuff like that. I got pretty good in my early twenties spraying metal equipment at work and cars. I also do a lot these days with my RC hobby. The trick... don't rush, apply thin coats and never stop moving the sprayer. And never, ever, ever paint outside on a windy day. Laughing
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

I have a C2D mini. I will use it when I need dual CPU power.

Do you think a its OK to spend 600-700 on an outdated CPU module? I don't..

To each their own. Considering the high performance video card and the high performance drive you plan on using, it just seems like you are shorting yourself with the CPU.

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: