123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just wondering what everyone thinks about "Windows 7&qu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your thinking on WIndows 7
Will get Windows 7 the first day it comes out (Will you run it virtually, Boot Camp, other computer?)
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Will wait to get Windows 7
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No thanks, I run XP and like it (virtually or Boot Camp?)
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No thanks, I only run Mac OS's
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Will get it along with a new computer (PC/Mac?)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'll be sticking with the Mac OS, even if Windows 7 is amazing.

I'm more confident that the Mac platform will always be a couple of steps ahead.

I don't blame you. I will always be a Mac user first. I just like playing around with other operating systems for fun. I'm also using the same quad-core box for most of my ripping these days. I can crank out a movie with the Windows GUI version of HandBrake in no time at all.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone past the tinkering with various OS's stage now.

I just want a computer that works and that I can use without having to fiddle with all the time to keep it running. I also don't want one I have to keep relearning how to use, which seems to be happening every time Microsoft update these days. Why do they have to mess about and move everything so you can no longer find your way around. Embarassed

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I just want a computer that works and that I can use without having to fiddle with all the time to keep it running.

Ditto! I only use XP for a couple programs.

Cypher wrote:
Why do they have to mess about and move everything so you can no longer find your way around. Embarassed

The move from OS 9 to OS X was a little messy, but Vista is the all-time champ in that department. I had to Google about a couple things for my wife. Well, like making the shutdown button actually shutdown the darn computer. It just seems like Microsoft always shows you more than you need to see. Some of the menus in Vista are just crazy. Once you get it running though, it's pretty stable. That's about that best thing you can say about it.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shutdown button just about sums it up. It was always a laugh, that to shutdown windows, you had to press START. Now you press whats clearly an OFF button to not shutdown Razz I've just bought both of my lads new laptops and they have already complained about that one.

The new Microsoft Office is another of my pet hates, the redesigned menu's are a nightmare, I knew my way around Office but the new version is awful.
I still save everything in the old formats to be compatible with work so office runs in compatibility mode, however it still lets you use all the things that make it not compatible and then only tells you when you try to save that your document contains "X" number of incompatibilities. Evil or Very Mad

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
That shutdown button just about sums it up. It was always a laugh, that to shutdown windows, you had to press START. Now you press whats clearly an OFF button to not shutdown I've just bought both of my lads new laptops and they have already complained about that one.

It's totally crazy. You need to like go into the power options and assign what the power button does. It will then shutdown immediately, but that option is like totally hidden. I couldn't imagine someone like my mom setting it up.

Cypher wrote:
The new Microsoft Office is another of my pet hates, the redesigned menu's are a nightmare, I knew my way around Office but the new version is awful.

We're on the same wavelength. I hate those ribbons in Office. It didn't even bother with Office 2008 for Mac. I just stuck with iWork '08, which is a sweet little office suite when you think about it. It's just simple and elegant. That's all I need.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Cypher wrote:
That shutdown button just about sums it up. It was always a laugh, that to shutdown windows, you had to press START. Now you press whats clearly an OFF button to not shutdown I've just bought both of my lads new laptops and they have already complained about that one.

It's totally crazy. You need to like go into the power options and assign what the power button does. It will then shutdown immediately, but that option is like totally hidden. I couldn't imagine someone like my mom setting it up.

Thanks, I'll sort it out for them, I couldn't find out how to do it myself, and to be honest I couldn't even be bothered to google it. I'm still sulking Razz that they picked Windows Laptops and now expect me to fix all the problems with them. I've spent more time on their laptops fiddling to fix problems in the short time they have had them than I have on my iMac in the last 18 months. Evil or Very Mad

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm on her laptop looking at Christmas pictures here this morning.

Here's what you gotta do Cypher....

Open the Control Panel.

Go to Power Options.

Select the plan being used and click change plan settings.

Click on where it says Change advanced power settings.

In that window go down to Power button and lid and open with the +.

Select Start menu power button and change the setting to shut down.

The click ok.

See, that's the difference between Vista and Leopard I'm talking about. Nothing is hidden that deep in Leopard.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks devo Cool

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I've gone past the tinkering with various OS's stage now.

Really that's a stage, I just thought it was fun, at SILUG everyone there tinkers with Windows, OS X, and a few distros of Linux it seems, made me feel out of place only messing with XP, Ubuntu, and Puppy Linux.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Really that's a stage

It is after 20+ years of tinkering, I just can't be bothered these days. Razz

MacScout67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the beta, I will buy Windows 7 the first day it comes out. It's a huge improvement over XP and Vista. I"ll probably run it with Boot Camp and Fusion. Hopefully, Apple will have a new Mac mini by that time. My 1.66GHz Mac mini is starting to feel a little long in the tooth. That being said, it's doing surprisingly well with the beta.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacScout67 wrote:
Based on the beta, I will buy Windows 7 the first day it comes out. It's a huge improvement over XP and Vista. I"ll probably run it with Boot Camp and Fusion. Hopefully, Apple will have a new Mac mini by that time. My 1.66GHz Mac mini is starting to feel a little long in the tooth. That being said, it's doing surprisingly well with the beta.

I downloaded the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, the 32-bit version works great on VMware Fusion, and was really easy to install and set-up. ...according to a VMware forum, it works best if you select "Windows Server 2008".

I got the 64-bit version to install, but doesn't start up, it keeps giving me an error message. I'll try to install it on my work PC, and if that doesn't work, than it might be a corrupt download.

So far I do like it, it's like the best of Vista with an Ubuntu/OS X touch to it. It even has apps like OS X, like Grab, even though they call it something else. I'll probably end up running it virtually though, i don't see anything wanting to make me go back to Windows (unless, maybe. if Apple, stops making 3lbs or less laptops, and doesn't release a new Mini soon!! ....I NEED A MEDIA CENTER COMPUTER!! Laughing ...I mean want)
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
So far I do like it, it's like the best of Vista with an Ubuntu/OS X touch to it. It even has apps like OS X, like Grab, even though they call it something else.

Yeah, the snipping tool is pretty cool. I also like the new dock like taskbar with the "Aero Peek" feature. That would be cool to have in Leopard. Shake and snapping windows to full or half screen is cool too. I also like the new Explorer window, even though they ripped the look from Apple.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

DOS
Windows 3.1
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows NT
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

I think you missed out Windows 95. It was released on August 24 1995. My Dad is 90 and he's still using it !
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Texark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this, but Windows 7 is freaking awesome. Snow Leopard better be killer or else....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: