123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action? Reply with quote

Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Posted by: Brian

One of the more fascinating rumors about the next Mac mini (assuming it retains the name plate) is about Apple switching the optical drive connection from IDE to SATA. Not only would this increase the performance of the optical drive, it would allow you to swap out the optical drive itself for a second 2.5" SATA hard drive. Based on what's on the market today, this would bring up to 1TB of internal storage to the Mac mini. In fact, rumor has it that Apple will offer the Mac mini configured this way as a build-to-order option. So, that leads me to my question. How would you order your Mac mini, with an optical drive or two internal hard drives? Now don't forget, you might be able do this upgrade on your own and save some money. However, there may be cosmetic (like a case without an optical drive slot) and internal (like including a real drive cage) features you can only get from Apple.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1102.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably order it with the two internal drives. You can always go external with the burner just as easily. Plus, I would be using this new Mac mini as a pure play digital media center computer. I don't really need it for playing DVDs or ripping.
jrt1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the dual hard drives over a SuperDrive. It would be nice if Apple enabled the DVD/CD sharing feature like the MacBook Air has though.
Fazzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my fingers crossed for Blu-ray. I know Steve thinks it's a bag of hurt, but I'm more than willing to take a beating. Razz
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cut a second slot and go with two optical drives. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I'd cut a second slot and go with two optical drives. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It sounds like someone got a new Dremel for Christmas. Smile
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm old school, just a red hot razor blade. Wink
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny how most Apple TV owners want an optical drive for playing DVDs and USB expansion for more storage. Some Mac mini owners are willing to sacrifice the optical drive for a 3.5" drive or another 2.5" bay. Can't we find a middle ground here Apple? Maybe something like the Mac mini with two drive bays, an optical drive and include the Apple TV 2 software on it instead of Front Row so it can be used as a more complete media center. Just call it the "Mac" and slap an $800 price tag on the system. I'll be first in line buying one.
edmetric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action? Reply with quote

admin wrote:
How would you order your Mac mini, with an optical drive or two internal hard drives?

That depends on still having a firewire port.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be buying one of the new Mac minis, but I believe that I would still get one with a SuperDrive. Even maxed out, internal storage only gets you so far these days. At some point you're going to go external. It's also a better method for backing up or storing your data. I mean, from a massive failure standpoint. You still need to make backups of your backups, backups on an external. Wink
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action? Reply with quote

edmetric wrote:
admin wrote:
How would you order your Mac mini, with an optical drive or two internal hard drives?

That depends on still having a firewire port.

This. No deal if I cant use the external hard drives I already own.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Huff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy that a new Mac mini appears to be coming. I've literally been waiting since last summer. I'm not new to the Mac though. Well, I'll be new to Intel Macs. It's a an old eMac that I'm looking to retire.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't bring out a new Mini Razz I might be tempted to buy one Crying or Very sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
don731

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
I think it's funny how most Apple TV owners want an optical drive for playing DVDs and USB expansion for more storage. Some Mac mini owners are willing to sacrifice the optical drive for a 3.5" drive or another 2.5" bay. Can't we find a middle ground here Apple? Maybe something like the Mac mini with two drive bays, an optical drive and include the Apple TV 2 software on it instead of Front Row so it can be used as a more complete media center. Just call it the "Mac" and slap an $800 price tag on the system. I'll be first in line buying one.

Bingo! That's exactly what I'm looking for in a new mini. We still play DVDs on the mini, and want to experience the Netflix streaming on a mini (current mini is an older PPC). We have a Roku box that will move to another room with the purchase of a new intel mini.

Don in Chicagoland
don731

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:

Bingo! That's exactly what I'm looking for in a new mini. We still play DVDs on the mini, and want to experience the Netflix streaming on a mini (current mini is an older PPC). We have a Roku box that will move to another room with the purchase of a new intel mini.

Don in Chicagoland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: