123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally decided what Mac mini drive to buy
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Finally decided what Mac mini drive to buy Reply with quote

Drum roll.......... I've decided to buy the $100 miniStack kit after months of contemplating which drive to buy. Most of the drives coming out seem to be based on the M9. In the end it came down to the LaCie mini drive and miniStack. It was the extra ports that sold me.

I am looking in the Sunday paper and on the web for deals on hard drives. I would like to get something over 250GB if possible. If anyone sees a good deal, let me know. It doesn't matter if the deal has a rebate or not.

Edit: I would like to spend under $125 on the hard drive.
Alec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally decided what Mac mini drive to buy Reply with quote

Devo I to purchased the MiniStack enclosure over the LaCie because of the port hub features. I'm looking for 300-400 hard drive to store photos and video so please let me know if you see a good deal out there.
robhfla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Devo,

Have you ever tried www.buy.com? They seem to have decent prices. I just bought a Lacie d2 250GB today. With a 10% discount thingy that flashed on my screen I got the whole thing for $185. They are pretty good for shipping also. I'm getting mine with free shipping.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally decided what Mac mini drive to buy Reply with quote

Alec wrote:
Devo I to purchased the MiniStack enclosure over the LaCie because of the port hub features. I'm looking for 300-400 hard drive to store photos and video so please let me know if you see a good deal out there.

I found three deals via Techbargains.

Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive for $59.95 after rebate.

Maxtor 100GB hard drive for $19.99 after rebate.

Western Digital 300GB hard drive for $129.99 after rebate at Office Max. In store only.

I might pick up the Western Digital 160GB for $59.95. I'm still going to look around for a few days.

robhfla wrote:
Have you ever tried www.buy.com? They seem to have decent prices. I just bought a Lacie d2 250GB today. With a 10% discount thingy that flashed on my screen I got the whole thing for $185. They are pretty good for shipping also. I'm getting mine with free shipping.

Shop there all the time. I didn't see any hard drive deals in their sales flyer this weekend or online. I might stop by the store later this week.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Devo check out Western Digital's webset. A friend of mine told me he always buys refurbed HDs from the "Blowout" section on their site and has never had a problem with them. you can get a 250gb HD for less then $90!

Look:

250 GB Western Digital Caviar SE 7200 RPM
8 MB Cache, Serial ATA Hard Drive (Recertified)
Model: RWD2500J

Our Price: $89.99

In Stock: Yes
About recertified drives: Western Digital thoroughly tests numerous performance characteristics of all drives before giving them the "recertified" stamp of approval.

Go to http://store.westerndigital.com/product.asp?sku=2688151
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Louie! I will have to look into that a little more. That's a really good price with free shipping. I'm a little apprehensive about it being refurbished, but it might be worth a shot.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the other 250gb drive that is there. It is discontinued NOT refurb and it is $114.99! Full one year warranty verses 6 months on the refurb!

http://store.westerndigital.com/product.asp?sku=2328185
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Devo, I started looking at prices and if you bought the Ministack without a drive from OWC for $99.95 + $5.73 for shipping and then bought the 250gb hard drive from WD for $114.99 your total would be $220.67!

But if you just bought the 250gb Ministack from OWC it would be $229.95 and free shipping! Now is the $9.28 difference worth the trouble of putting the drive in yourself and warranty questions and all that?

Even if you went with the other (refurb) drive at $89.99 the difference would only be $34.28 and that doesn't even give you a "new" hard drive!

If it were me I would just buy the 250gb Ministack for the $229. The price difference would be worth the piece of mind!
tmaoz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey devo

just wanted to say you should check up the post i put on the
MINIPAL

tomer
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmaoz wrote:
hey devo

just wanted to say you should check up the post i put on the
MINIPAL

tomer

Where's the link?

I got my miniStack last night. I noticed they dropped the price $10 dollars today. Just my luck! I haven't had the chance to run it yet. *No drive* It's a little more plasticy than I expected. I ordered a 250GB drive from Tiger Direct this morning for $69.95 after rebate. Hope it gets here fast. I am ready to roll!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1265028&sku=THD-250A
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I ordered a 250GB drive from Tiger Direct this morning for $69.95 after rebate. Hope it gets here fast. I am ready to roll!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1265028&sku=THD-250A

Great price for anyone who needs one. Wish I did Smile

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
devo wrote:
I ordered a 250GB drive from Tiger Direct this morning for $69.95 after rebate. Hope it gets here fast. I am ready to roll!

Great price for anyone who needs one. Wish I did Smile

Jamie

I was happy to find it. The rebate expires today so move fast if you need one. I just hope it will fit in.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I just hope it will fit in.

I was thinking the samething! I thought I had seen something about seagate's not fitting in that case!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
devo wrote:
I just hope it will fit in.

I was thinking the samething! I thought I had seen something about seagate's not fitting in that case!

From the OWC website:

"*Some Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives will not physically fit into the enclosure. We recommend Hitachi, Western Digital, and Maxtor drives for this enclosure."

I installed a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (ST3120026A) in mine without a problem.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit the drive is a 7200.8. I might call and cancel my order if it hasn't shipped. I don't know where my head was at. Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: