123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiger Runs Excellent On iMac G3 !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Johnnyboy, I bought the 2- 512MB sticks of ram off ebay (link that you posted).
My iMac G3 Should fly with a gig of ram. I could not pass up such a sweet deal.
Thanks again for the tip.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Dino. I was curious as to what kind of ram a G3 iMac used, so I looked it up... PC-133. I felt sure that such 'old style' memory would be available cheaply, so I had a scout around eBay. And guess what I found? Smile

Come back and tell us how the eBay purchase goes, and how the iMac performs with a gig of ram. Cool
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the iMac takes PC100 or PC133. Apple says it maxes out at 512MB officially but it WILL take a full gig.

I looked everywhere I thought & could not find THAT great a deal. Good Shopping !

I will definitely let you know how it runs. This has been a good experience because I was able to use OS9 & Tiger which I was not familiar with. My first & main Mac Mini has Leopard.

OS9, I could do without. Smile It was dated & would not play YouTube due to no Flash Support & Browser Support was non existent, really. Although I could see it being incredible way back in 1998. I like Tiger & of course I love Leopard. Almost 10 months now & I'm learning a lot. Once again Kudos to all you guys. I couldn't have done any of this without you. Thanks for the help.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
yea the iMac takes PC100 or PC133. Apple says it maxes out at 512MB officially but it WILL take a full gig.

I checked the profile page for the iMac DV on LEM, and you're absolutely right Dino.

Dino1956 wrote:
I looked everywhere I thought & could not find THAT great a deal. Good Shopping !

Ahh, it comes naturally to a cheapskate like me... Wink

Dino1956 wrote:
I will definitely let you know how it runs.

That would be cool. Cool

Dino1956 wrote:
OS9, I could do without. Smile It was dated & would not play YouTube due to no Flash Support & Browser Support was non existent, really. Although I could see it being incredible way back in 1998.

I was a Windows user in '98 when a friend bought an tangerine iBook. It blew me away. The OS seemed so dependable and usable and because OS9 had a really 'boxy' appearance -- straight edges and square corners -- it looked fantastically crisp on the iBook's beautiful LCD screen. Ah, the memories... Rolling Eyes
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on all counts except I don't believe a Smart Shopper is a Cheapskate. Why pay more for $, for the exact same item ?
I love the design of the Mac Operating Systems. That is why I'm typing this on my iMac when my Mac Mini is on & ready. I get confused at times since I have 2 mice & 2 Keyboards right next to each other. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok JohnnyBoy,

Unfortunately my first ebay experience, is not a good one. Just got the ram today & both sticks are dead. I tried them in my iMac G3 & an old PC and both machines, they don't work on. Tried switching slots, mixing one stick with my old working ram and Mac detects only my old ram. In system Profiler, it says Slot: Empty. I just emailed MicroxComputers about an exchange, so we'll see how this goes. Hey at least it wasn't a dead Macbook! Smile.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I'm almost sure the ram does not work because the ram I bought is High Density. I did not know the difference, before this experience. Now I do. Most major brand computers require Low Density.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

hwojtek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "Low Density" vs "High Density" is kinda misleading - there is no such thing as "density" in memory, however the point is in the "sideness" of the DIMM. Check out the RAM Memory section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sided/double_sided

Most computers have huge problems with "double sided" (they were introduced with some Pentium II motherboards which took massive shortcuts in terms of chipset complexity). Problems ranging from "no module in socket" to "showing 1/2 of total module size only", with actually nothing in between. Maybe this is the case - or they may be actually physically shot.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I definitely got the double sided and when I put it in with a piece of good ram, the mac only recognizes the good ram & reports there is No ram in the other slot in System Profiler. So basically the Mac or even an old HP PC I had lying around doesn't read it.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who knows? Maybe I'm reading more into this, than I need to. Maybe they are just both physically shot.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: