123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Updates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it before and I'll say it again. These new specs look really good!
mightymouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Apple would hurry up and release them! Do you think it will be this week? Do you think they will have them in the Apple Stores right after they make an anouncement?
Travis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really can't wait for this. I have been looking every day but nothing yet.... Like others above, its a good thing i didnt already buy the mini last week.
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I said it before and I'll say it again. These new specs look really good!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. These new specs look pretty miserly. This is just a minor bump, until they put a 9550 or better in there's no point in getting excited.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. These new specs look pretty miserly. This is just a minor bump, until they put a 9550 or better in there's no point in getting excited.

That's crazy!

This is a good update. It's still a mixed bag with the video card, but everything else looks pretty good. I'll admit not being able to run Core Image is silly. But man, you're getting a micro G4 bump Rolling Eyes, 64MB VRAM, AE, Bluetooth 2.0, 5400RPM drives, and 8X Dual Layer DVD all for the same amount of money. How can this look "pretty miserly"? I would trade my 1.25GHz mini for one of these in a heartbeat.
iLife's a Bitch!
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
These new specs look pretty miserly. This is just a minor bump, until they put a 9550 or better in there's no point in getting excited.

It's a minor bump for existing mini owners, but ...

5 months ago, $599 got you a 1.42ghz with 256MB

Now for the same money you get 1.50ghz, 2x more RAM, a faster spinning drive, 2x more video RAM, WiFi and BT.

Not a bad deal. Smile
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:

It's a minor bump for existing mini owners, but ...

5 months ago, $599 got you a 1.42ghz with 256MB

Now for the same money you get 1.50ghz, 2x more RAM, a faster spinning drive, 2x more video RAM, WiFi and BT.

Not a bad deal. Smile

I'll agree with that. The improvements aren't mind blowing, but they're certainly a great deal for new buyers.
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
This is a good update.
You're combining the *previous* update with this one. The last update already bundled the extra RAM and AE and Bluetooth with the higher level mini, and the speed bump is no more than people with a steady hand and a graphite pencil have already managed.

Sure, I'd trade mine for a new one, but that's two updates now *after* Tiger's come out and it's still not Core-Image ready. Everything else in the Mac family is... it's like they're trying to avoid selling minis and shove people into eMacs or iMacs instead.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The last update already bundled the extra RAM and AE and Bluetooth with the higher level mini,.

Bluetooth was included last time around, but the Bluetooth itself has been improved.

I'd like to see the CoreImage too, but there are a lot of improvements even over the last update and the price didn't increase. I wouldn't characterize that as "miserly".

Very Happy

Jamie
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Quote:
The last update already bundled the extra RAM and AE and Bluetooth with the higher level mini,.

Bluetooth was included last time around, but the Bluetooth itself has been improved.
That only matters to the tiny fraction of people who have BT 2.0 devices. Plus, it's an add-in card, so those few people will one way or another be able to arrange that upgrade... perhaps exchanging cards with someone who has bought the new one.

There's no way for anyone but Apple to do anything about the video, it's something that will improve things for every user, and the performance difference between a 9200 and a 9600 or 9550 is enough that right now I have recommend people buy the eMac over the mini and I *despise* the eMac's cruddy screen.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what performance improvement would the average mini user experience if Apple started slapping 9550 or 9600's in them?

From what I hear, Core Image sounds cool and all, but qualifing this statement with "I don't play video games", I've never noticed my mini lacking (performance wise) in the video department.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
That only matters to the tiny fraction of people who have BT 2.0 devices.

One could say the same thing about CoreImage. An overwhelming percentage of the Mac installed base, including Mac Mini users, tick along just fine without graphics card-based support of CoreImage. And there are precious few applications that use it in the first place, making it, like BT 2.0, something that might be nice to have in a year or two when I replace my computer but nothing I need right now.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
I *despise* the eMac's cruddy screen.

That we can agree on. Raster "cough" shift! I still think you're being a little too critical on these Mac mini updates.
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
So what performance improvement would the average mini user experience if Apple started slapping 9550 or 9600's in them?
Depends on the applications. Ones that use CoreImage directly will win most, but the 9600 is noticably faster for just about everything that uses OpenGL. Plus, don't forget QE2d. I want to type the following command and get OpenGL acceleration in rendering as well as compositing... and you need a CoreImage-capable GPU for that:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES
Travis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the updated mini going to be purchase-able? I thought they said it was going to come out in september... well they're really running out of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: