123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiger Runs Excellent On iMac G3 !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Tiger Runs Excellent On iMac G3 ! Reply with quote

Finally sorted out my troubles with Graphics after Loading Tiger on my iMac G3 DV Slot Loader DVD. I had the firmware update, so after updates, the Graphics loaded perfectly. I have to say I'm surprised how well Tiger runs on this iMac G3. With just 384 MB of ram, I expected it to crawl. I can't wait to see how it runs on a full Gig. I had wiped OS9.1 completely & from what I've read, that is not the Norm. But it works perfectly without OS9 taking up ANY space on the tiny 10GB Hard Drive. Smile So I guess you don't NEED OS9.1 alongside OSX. After maxing out the ram, I may even put a 120GB Hard Drive in. All I know is, I spent $30. & wound up with one very excellent little Mac. I may have to look for a G4 next! Yea, I'm Hooked! Smile L.O.L.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya it would work Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, Dino!

What's the CPU speed on that G3 iMac? 400MHz? 450?
hwojtek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DV iMacs range between 400 and 500 MHz depending on flavour Smile
Yes, that's quite enough for Tiger to run. And rest assured, the standard for OS X installation is to wipe the OS9 completely. Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hackersmovie. You did say that. But the hell I had to go through. Jeeeez. You know with all the searching in Google & on here. This time I stumbled upon the fix on my own. From Target Mode to XPost Facto, Invalid Tree Header Error, etc...None of it worked for me.
According to what I read online through searching, they claim you can't have OSX on the iMac G3 without having a Partition with OS9 on it. (Well I Did It!)
Well after the Invalid Tree Header Error, I got disgusted & wiped the drive completely using my Mac Mini's Disk Utility in Target Disc Mode.
But my savior (I Think), was because I had already did all the Firmware updates on the iMac.
When I finally got my iMac DVD drive to load Tiger, I had to do it practically blindly because the Graphics were so bad you could not even read what was on the Screen.
But I blindly went through an Erase & Install & when it was installed finally, I still had the same bad graphics. I did software update. That did not help.
Then I went to get the updates for OSX and as soon as I restarted after the first OS 10.4.1, my graphics were beautiful & fully adjustable & function-able. But understand this. I could not read the screen in all this. I had to pull up the same page on my Mini, just to see where the Download button was on the page.
So this was not by no means easy & painless. But as usual, I learned a lot in the process. And I feel a sense of pride & accomplishment. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnyboy,

I's the iMac G3 DV 400 Mhz. Slot Loader DVD.
October 5, 1999 — iMac G3 DV. First revision with FireWire support, 400 MHz processor, slot-loading DVD optical drive, ATI Rage 128 VR Graphics with 8 MB of VRAM. Included internal slot for 802.11b AirPort card
Color: Blueberry
Price: $30.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwojtek wrote:
And rest assured, the standard for OS X installation is to wipe the OS9 completely. Smile

Not true. If you wipe OS9 you'll no longer be able to run OS9 applications in "Classic Mode". You need a bootable OS9 folder to make that happen. OS9.2.2 is only a few hundred MB's so I always kept it "just in case". I actually had found a really cool OS9 app where you could make your own search a word puzzles. My son and I made and played them for a long time....

I wouldn't say it's "standard", as most people running OSX on a machine that supports OS9 tend to have OS9 apps they want to run.

(I just set up an eMac at a local printing company with the same set up. OS 10.4.11 and OS9.2.2 they needed OS9 for an old scanner they used as well as some old Adobe software.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What also makes me think it is not standard is what I have read of course, as well as, if I open System Preferences, even though I wiped OS9 completely, Under System, it lists an icon for OS9. But of course when I open my OS9 icon, there is no Classic System Folder there. It still looks for it though. But I ran disk utility & I come up clean. No errors.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a PowerMac G3 400MHz with 512MB RAM and 8GB HDD and it runs fine no lag unless you get into heavier apps.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I'm at 384 RAM right now & it's fast enough for Internet, email & iTunes, which is all I'm really using it for. But if I could find a cheap stick of 512 MB, I'd upgrade. I was going to upgrade the Hard Drive but it's a 10GB and I have 4.5 GB's Free, and I have it hooked up to an external Western Digital 120 GB Hard Drive which is loaded with my iTunes & my stuff. So I'm really not missing much except for CD & DVD Burning. But I'll use my Intel Mac Mini for that. I'm really surprised how well a DVD Movie plays on it. On OS9.2.2, a DVD would not even Play.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

hwojtek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
hwojtek wrote:
And rest assured, the standard for OS X installation is to wipe the OS9 completely. Smile

Not true.
If you wipe OS9 you'll no longer be able to run OS9 applications in "Classic Mode". You need a bootable OS9 folder to make that happen.

More true, than false. If it is only about the "classic mode", you do not need OS9 to be installed, to begin with. You do not need it to be bootable, as well. You can install a Classic System folder after you've installed Tiger:
Arrow http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh860.html
Arrow http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh763.html
The "classic" is just an emulation layer (run-time environment, to be precise) on top of Tiger.
I know that - I got three iMacs G3 and each of them has Tiger installed by the simple means of putting the Tiger installation CD #1 and powering up Smile

However - only if you really need the 9.2 to be bootable, you need to have OS X installed on top of 9.2. If running apps in classic mode does the job, OS X can be installed on a totally cleaned HDD.

Phasing-out OS9 has begun in 2001 and Apple does not support installing it since 3 years, so IMHO using Classic is limited to very special needs only. I do have a QS Power Mac at work with Panther and Classic in order to run a huge Screen Cezanne Elite ISO B3 flatbed scanner - but that's this kind of exception.

Dino1956 wrote:
Under System, it lists an icon for OS9. But of course when I open my OS9 icon, there is no Classic System Folder there. It still looks for it though.

Easy way: hold down your apple key, drag the "Classic" icon from System Preferences to Trash.
Hard way: open Macintosh HD Arrow System Arrow Library Arrow Preference Panes Arrow move the classic.prefPane to the Trash Arrow enter your password Arrow empty Trash.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be why my Time, in sending & receiving emails is always incorrect. ? I suspected the Battery, but possibly since it's missing the Classic System Folder? Or does that make no sense at all Smile Another thing, If I kill the Power Strip, the Time on the Clock gets changed to the wrong Time & Date. But If I just Power down the Mac & leave Power strip On, the Computer time stays Perfect. But ALWAYS my email time is off. Unless I send a Test email to myself, then all is correct. Mmmm..?? Any ideas?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwojtek,

The easy way of getting rid if the icon in Sys Pref., did not work
The hard way, worked perfectly!
Isn't that how life works ? Smile
Thanks for the tip.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
But if I could find a cheap stick of 512 MB, I'd upgrade.

Here you go, Dino... Smile
http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-PC133-SDRAM-133MHz-512-MB-PC-133-DESKTOP-RAM-MEMO_W0QQitemZ280294761451

http://cgi.ebay.com/1GB-2-X-512MB-PC133-SDRAM-133MHz-DESKTOP-RAM-MEMORY-NEW_W0QQitemZ270318060492
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnyboy,

Wow those prices seem too good to be true!
I'm not an ebayer ! How does it work? Duh! Smile I truly don't know!!
I've always been hesitant about my Credit Card info & ebay, due to scam emails & the like. But I don't think I'll find it cheaper anywhere.

Thanks.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: