123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netbook compatibility chart for OS X
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Netbook compatibility chart for OS X Reply with quote

Here's a new chart from Boing Boing Gadgets showing netbook compatibility for OS X. I knew the Wind would be up there, but I was surprised to see the Dell working on every level.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Ben_Tex; very useful for anyone considering buying a netbook. My only proviso is that the reader shouldn't take it to mean that getting all those things to run is routine; only that it's possible. The Wind is a good example. While it's pretty easy to install OS X on it, the wireless will not work with the RealTek wireless card that it usually comes with. However, you can replace the card with an Atheros or a Dell wireless card for about $US30 that will work with OS X. I suspect there are similar provisos for other netbooks and also, that some features won't work without a bit of tweaking beyond what is needed to install the OS.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Fox, but some of us NEED something to tweak! Razz

Now that my Wind is running 99% (tho, news was just leaked that someone may have a mic fix, to make it 100%), I'm really intrigued by the Gigabyte M912. There is a touch screen mod available for the Wind and all, but that flip around screen on the m912 sure looks sweet...
caulktel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to aspireoneuser.com they have everything working including wireless. I just bought one and am thinking about putting OS X on it.
iPhone 4S 16GB
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Ben, thank ye kindly! That's a great idea for a chart -- but as Fox points out, putting a big green blob in the wireless column for the Wind seems a little misleading, if OS X can't recognise the RealTek card out of the box...
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, none of them run OSX "out of the box", so there's not much difference between adding a kext to get the OS working, and adding a kext to get the WiFi working, is there?

You can run the Wind with most of the stock WiFi cards, but only with a third party utility that most users say sucks. A quick switch out of the cards, and it does see it OOTB as an Airport Card. Just as easy as adding some RAM.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:
A quick switch out of the cards, and it does see it OOTB as an Airport Card. Just as easy as adding some RAM.

...which is exactly why I asked how the Wind gets a green blob under "Wi-fi", when you have to swap hardware to get the damn thing to work with OS X.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up with Leopard on my 1000H because of audio. It's been back to XP and Ubuntu for me. I should have been more patient for the MSI Wind. You can basically get them anywhere now. I think they even sell them at Best Buy.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

...which is exactly why I asked how the Wind gets a green blob under "Wi-fi", when you have to swap hardware to get the damn thing to work with OS X.

Aah, now I see that Green means works as is, and Yellow is for works with additional hardware. They probably gave it a green, because there were mac-specific drivers written for the stock wifi cards. See the link at the top of the article

Quote:
Thanks to new WiFi drivers (direct download), the Wind runs the whole show out the can.

They did fail to mention that you need a third party utility to be able to switch between the headphones and the speakers, and also that the mic doesn't work at all (yet).
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why run OS X on a netbook? It seems like it would be too slow compared to a a real Mac, also it's not legal and Linux runs a lot better on such low spec hardware.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Why run OS X on a netbook? It seems like it would be too slow compared to a a real Mac, also it's not legal and Linux runs a lot better on such low spec hardware.

Nope. Doesn't run slow at all. I have been running OS X, XP, and Ubuntu on it, and well, I just prefer OSX, that's all. As far as the legality goes, I say if you pay for it, its nobody's business what you do with it.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:

Nope. Doesn't run slow at all. I have been running OS X, XP, and Ubuntu on it, and well, I just prefer OSX, that's all. As far as the legality goes, I say if you pay for it, its nobody's business what you do with it.

+1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Aargh-a-Knot wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:

+1

But it voilates the EULA and therefore it's illegal software, however is you actually paid for it I can see why it might seem odd. If I get a MSI Wind any time (have about 2 or 3 other things ahead of it) I plan on using it for Linux only though since I don't have a system that's only for Linux yet.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
But it voilates the EULA and therefore it's illegal software, however is you actually paid for it I can see why it might seem odd.

I don't think that it's as clear-cut as that, DungeonDude. I'd be surprised if copyright legislation permitted the creator of a work to decide how a paying customer used their purchase.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until a final decision is rendered on the Psystar suit, I don't think anyone is in a position to say what's legal or not. And even if the courts declare for Apple, it's unclear whether this would legally prohibit a private user from putting OSX on a non-Apple computer.

Not that I'm planning to do it; I bought my Wind with the idea of running Ubuntu on it, not Leopard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: