123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do It Yourself Upgrade!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iJonx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Do It Yourself Upgrade! Reply with quote

I'm asking this for a friend. I personally bought my 1 GB memory from macsales.com and I had a small Apple reseller store install it for me for $40. My friend is thinking of buying the same memory and installing it himself. He wants to know if there is anyone else out there that has done it and tell us how easy or how hard it was. For me, I think it looked too hard to do so I just had a 'pro' do it. My friend doesn't want to shed out $40 so he wants to try it out himself. If anyone can just let us know they're experience, we'd appreciate. Thanks!
Airport & Bluetooth
Superdrive
2 x 250 GB External LaCie Hard Drive
(1 boot drive, 1 whatever I want!)
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
40GB 4G iPod
60GB 5G iPod (Black)
4GB Black iPod Nano
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to do it yourself. It's really simple. Here is a good guide to follow.

http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/82.13.0.html
SnApple

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - contrary to what that manual says - you won't actually have to take off the drive assembly unit. Apple's Mac mini service manual says to just open the mini and remove the bluetooth antenna (as in the manual linked), which will allow you access to the RAM module.
Anyway, that's the way I did it, and it worked like a charm.
Ohhh, and when putting it back together, make sure to fit in the backside of the mini first, and then press the frontside shut...
here's a link to the manual (it is 21 megs!)
http://www.whoopis.com/computer_repair/#mini
http://www.whoopis.com/computer_repair/mac_mini_sm.pdf

SnApple
CraigNB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my 256 to 512 and it was extremley easy. I just used a putty knife - the sound it makes when you pop the clips is scary sounds like your breaking it but i did it and my computer works fine. You can't even tell it was tampered with if you do it correctly.

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/Video/mini/high.mov

Thats the video I used to learn how to do it. Good Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: