123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good apps...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Good apps... Reply with quote

Adium looks to be a very nice IM client. I had compiled GAIM on my son's mini (and was figuring I would do the same on my system)...however, Adium will probably fullfill that role.

NeoOfficeJ is a native OS X port of OpenOffice. Haven't played with it in depth as of yet...but from what I've seen so far, I LIKE IT!

Compiling Gimp2 right now. Once that is completed, it's time to see how World of Warcraft plays on this thing! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nalenb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Adium for a little while and ended up buying Proteus. Dunno why, maybe it looked a little better to me.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
I used Adium for a little while and ended up buying Proteus. Dunno why, maybe it looked a little better to me.

Did you try out GAIM before purchasing Proteus??

(I almost always use GAIM...however, Adium is a VERY good replacement from what I've seen so far...)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nalenb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't tried Gaim on any platform. I read really good reviews of Proteus (and Adium) and nothing much about Gaim. I installed Proteus and was happy enough to stop looking. Also anything under $30 seems pretty much free to me.
bubba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No video support for iSight means sticking w/ iChat.
jase

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abiword seems to be a halfway decent word processor. I haven't had a chance to use it
extensively yet, but the basic features I need are there. Bonus for being freeware.
nalenb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble doing tables on Abiword for Windows about 6 months ago. Other than that it was pretty good, just feels a little non-native.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
Abiword seems to be a halfway decent word processor. I haven't had a chance to use it
extensively yet, but the basic features I need are there. Bonus for being freeware.

I installed NeoOfficeJ (the OS X port of of the OpenOffice project). Very nice so far.

(BTW, I'm just finishing up setting up my wife's new 17" G5 iMac! VERY nice)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: