123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming performance varies between computers WHY?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remoteman45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Streaming performance varies between computers WHY????? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I have a question about streaming from multiple computers. . I'm hoping you can help me with it.
I have an AppleTV 160gb running 2.1 or 2.2 that I stream to from 2 computers. One is a Mac Pro 8 Core w/ 10 gig of ram and when I stream from it in iTunes 8.0 everything works great. It's running the latest Leopard version. I stream over my network w/ an Airport Extreme base station. That computer's iTunes has an option in the bottom right corner of the window to turn on the AppleTv for streaming or keep the content on that Mac by selecting computer. Like I said, that computer streams fast and works great.
My other computer I stream from is a Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo also running Leopard. I have 2 external hard drives connected via firewire that hold my media for the AppleTV - mostly movies. I have no problem seeing this computer on my AppleTV and it plays uTube stuff just fine and gets content from the iTunes store w/o a problem. It'll play my music from my playlists just fine w/ no delay and AppleTV will see my shared movies file on this computer but the problem is that movies take f o r e v e r to stream from this computer. I don't see the option in the bottom right corner of iTunes on this computer to turn on the AppleTv or Computer settings and I'm wondering how I get that to show up as I suspect that to be the problem. I've been searching the forums and tried everything I can think of to no avail. Any ideas ?
Thanks for your time, Frustrated in Utah
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from what I can remember you can only sync the AppleTV with one 'main' computer and stream from several others, that is why you can't see the other options while running iTunes on the Mini. Is the Mini on your network wirelessly or wired? You might want to get everything running wired if you are having issues with your speed. I just wirelessly streamed a 720p video from my MacBook (the 'main' computer is an iMac G5) to the AppleTV without any issues, but you might be getting some interference somewhere Confused
remoteman45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm streaming content to my ATV because I have well over 1 TB of movies and stuff - too much to sync anyway. The Mini is using my airport extreme for streaming. The Mini and the ATV are only 6 inches from each other but the Extreme base station is in another room 35 feet away. YouTube and iTunes content comes up just fine. It's only my movies from the external HD connected to the mini that stream so slow.

Anybody have any idea why the iTunes on the Mini doesn't show the option in the bottom right corner of the window to select Apple TV or Computer or Multiple Speakers like the iTunes on my Mac Pro?
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remoteman45 wrote:
I'm streaming content to my ATV because I have well over 1 TB of movies and stuff - too much to sync anyway. The Mini is using my airport extreme for streaming. The Mini and the ATV are only 6 inches from each other but the Extreme base station is in another room 35 feet away. YouTube and iTunes content comes up just fine. It's only my movies from the external HD connected to the mini that stream so slow.

Anybody have any idea why the iTunes on the Mini doesn't show the option in the bottom right corner of the window to select Apple TV or Computer or Multiple Speakers like the iTunes on my Mac Pro?

If you read my post I explained why the mini doesn't show what the pro does. If most of your content is on the mini than you should make the mini the 'main' computer, and the pro just a streamer. You cannot have both being the main computer. So the mini should be the one synced, this doesn't mean you have to sync all of the content just do a custom sync.

Although your mini and AppleTV are inches apart the signal goes from the mini to the airport then to the appletv. All the videos that I stream to the appletv are on an external firewire drive also, and I have not had any issues. Do you have anything going on on your network while watching video?

YouTube is just the appletv going online to get the content, so it is not pulling anything from the mini/pro, plus the videos aren't as big as ripped DVDs along with the bit rate. When you say the iTunes content, are you just talking songs? Again talking about size/bit rate of the file for streaming. Unless you have the appletv hacked you have to stream the movies through iTunes anyway.

So I suspect you are having interference somewhere. You might want to try running some cat5 cable to the appletv and mini just to see if that cleans up the streaming lag.
remoteman45

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try a couple different settings and see if I get better results. Can I sync my music only and stream my movies?

My ATV is hacked and I use nitoTV to access my movies when my ext HD is connected to ATV's USB port but when I access them w/ nitoTV I don't see my movie tags (I don't know how to set up nitoTV to show them) and after selecting one movie I cannot go back and select another w/o restarting my ATV - it locks up and won't play the selected movie. I would just as soon use nitoTV to watch my movies if these 2 issues could be resolved. Any ideas there?
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have my music and photos synced, all movies are streamed. Since your Mac Pro is the synced computer right now you would go to the appletv from there in iTunes and select the manual sync. Then you can go to the tabs and select what you would like to have synced and what not.

If nitoTV is locking up, well that might be your issue right there. I haven't used nitoTV only boxee (which I highly recommend Wink ). What format are your videos in, avi, mkv, m4v/mp4... ? Boxee can stream content, but I only use it to watch online content. I convert all my videos to AppleTV/iTunes formating m4v/mp4 and stream it with iTunes to the AppleTV. It would be nice for Apple to open up the formats a little but I'm not holding my breath on that one Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: