123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Upgraded to T7400 2.16 Core 2 Duo = FASTTTTTT!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spazzium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the exact member I was hoping would reply. Are these safe to use then? The pictures from the seller above show pins, so am I OK here?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are meaning me....

I went with Kaga, and I made sure that the description included that pins had been added.

Someone may have made a large purchase of these CPUs and if they have a rework machine, then they can add pins easily.

If they have access to a rework machine at work, then they are most likely running their chips after hours(or maybe even during their hours! ).

I think it would NOT be humanly possible to actually sit there with a soldering iron, and rework the CPU by hand. I did see that done with a Pentium back in '96, but he just repaired ONE pin, not a complete PGA.

Also, I know a guy that is going to school up in Alaska, who has access to the EE departments machines, and he did some rather custom upgrades to his G3 iBooks. So where there is a will, or a fancy machine, there is a way!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Zebo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! The system is just as cool and the fan is just as quiet as before. I didn't get a chance to d/l a thermostat app before I swapped CPUs but I did install one last night before bed.

The CPU is hovering around 50 degrees C give or take a degree and the MB internal temp is right around 46 degrees C again give or take one degree or two at the most.

They never seem to go put of that range no matter what apps I'm running or how many of them I run at once.

This thing just chews through whatever I throw at it like its nothing without slowing down or over heating. I even left my mini with a feq apps running over night to see if anything changed with the temps... Nothing changed[/quote]

I did the same setup with a 500GB slower HD. If you use handbrake to rip m4vs you will see the cpu go above 200F so I use a fan control program (smc) to speed it up when doing rips. Any C2D gets hot when using handbrake FWIW.
Night_Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: The Nylon Posts are fine...if handled properly Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
BTW, I suggest ditching the nylon posts (regardless of whether you break one or not...the procedure will, at the very least, compromise their structural integrity not matter how careful you are)...and getting #4-40 3/4" metal bolts and nuts.

You'll end up with a much more secure heatsink with no chance of one of those nylon posts popping off later on.

It is easy to release this with the right sort of flat, square head mini-pliers like these. The key is to squeeze the portion that expands to lock the nylon post in place. Do this to all four and the posts slip off with absolutely no damage. I've used this technique with this sort of nylon post for years.

CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think I would, but now I'm thinking about doing this since I plan on keeping the current Mini for a while. If I do, I'll do the this, hd and probably an n wireless card as well while I'm in there. I've already got 2gb RAM in there, so I think I'll stick with that. It should be basically a new machine after that. Anything else I should consider while I'm in there? I'd rather do it all at once than go in again later. Also, how reliable are these modified processors compared to the original ones? And why are they so cheap from Hong Kong - any chance of them being counterfeit? I'm still learning here and want to know what I'm getting into before I do.

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
tiguy99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gts116 wrote:
His SL9SK (Ball Grid Array) came from eBay and probably had pins soldered to the bottom so that it would fit in place of a SL9SE (Pin Grid Array). I don't know if I would trust that kind of setup, but it seemed to work for him.

This is who I bought my CPU from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-CORE-2-DUO-T7400-2-16GHZ-2-16-4M-667-MOBILE-CPU_W0QQitemZ320328280541QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Laptop_Parts?hash=item320328280541&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

The CPU works flawlessly and as you can see in the pics above, the pins are correctly manufactured on the grid array like stock.

I have had my Mac Mini for 3 months and use it everyday with no issues. I upgraded the processor when I got it and have used the new one the whole time. Again I've had no issues. If it was converted, whoever did it did an awesome job.

spazzium wrote:
Sorry if this is bumping too old of a thread.

I've been working on computers since 95 but coming up with concrete details on upgrading my mac mini has been difficult. Help me sort this out.

First I found this wonderful post here confirming that Pentium M is the right socket type for the mac mini here.
As well as the wikipedia entry to back it up here.
However above me tiguy successfully upgraded his mini with a processor model of SL9SK, which according to the wiki and the above linked post is the wrong socket type. To further belay my confusion, this wiki entry here confirms that 479 and M are not pin compatible.
HELP ME!
All the processors I find on ebay seem to be 479 socket type. Will these work? Confused

Thanks for the links bud. If its socket 479, it will work just make sure the array looks like mine above ^ ^
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iMav"]BTW, I suggest ditching the nylon posts (regardless of whether you break one or not...the procedure will, at the very least, compromise their structural integrity not matter how careful you are)...and getting #4-40 3/4" metal bolts and nuts.

You'll end up with a much more secure heatsink with no chance of one of those nylon posts popping off later on.[/quote]

I used nylon bolts from the local RC store.
Maplin or similar will have these too - better than metal IMHO.
Mac SE 8Mhz, 2MB, 40GB Seagate, 6.07
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
BTW, I suggest ditching the nylon posts (regardless of whether you break one or not...the procedure will, at the very least, compromise their structural integrity not matter how careful you are)...and getting #4-40 3/4" metal bolts and nuts.

You'll end up with a much more secure heatsink with no chance of one of those nylon posts popping off later on.

I've read in some posts that they use nylon nuts and bolts and not metal. I would think that this is the safer way to go to avoid shorting anything out. I will shortly be upgrading processors in 2 mini's.

Does anyone know where to get the nylon nuts and bolts?

EDIT

Opps!! Didn't see the above post.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyv45 wrote:
iMav wrote:

I've read in some posts that they use nylon nuts and bolts and not metal. I would think that this is the safer way to go to avoid shorting anything out. I will shortly be upgrading processors in 2 mini's.

EDIT

You going with the same processor from eBay?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good hardware store will also have nylon nuts and bolts/screws.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely going to do this now that I saved myself a bunch of money today by not getting a new Mini that doesn't exist!!! Laughing
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:

You going with the same processor from eBay?[/quote]

I'm most liky going with the same processor from kaga0719 on ebay that smithcraft recommended in an earler post.

I'm not sure when as cash is a bit tight at the moment because of all the holiday spending recently. But I'll do it maybe in the next month or so..
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
dannyv45 wrote:
iMav wrote:

EDIT

You going with the same processor from eBay?

Guess I'm going to upgrade sooner then I thought. I just got a great deal on a t7400. Got it on ebay for $127.00 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-T7400-2-16Ghz-4MB-CPU_W0QQitemZ170292961942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item170292961942&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

He said he bought it and used it in his t60 thinkpad then desided to sell the laptop and put the original CPU back.

Sure enough he sold that laptop on ebay as well so I have a really good feeling about this CPU.
LaserCobra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of questions for the group.

I just bought a core solo on ebay... last night and I already have memory and a hard drive on the way. I got this solo because I knew the cpu could be upgraded.

First: Do all T7400 procs require modification to fit or can I find the exact socket necessary on places like eBay. This thread seemed to revolve around modification.

Second: Price is an object right now so would it be worth upgrading to a 1.8 C2D? I know performance wise it would be but from cost to performance...?

Can I just use Arctic Silver thermal compound on this or does it require something special?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy from Kaga, and he includes some thermal paste. However I used Arctic Silver, since a small tube goes a looooooooooooong way.

So long as the chip you buy has pins there is no need for any modification. If you happen to buy a BGA part, I don't think you will be able to modify it yourself.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: