123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini vs Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw412fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Both are amazing, I personally prefer AppleTV cause it has an HDMI port (DVI and HDMI are reverse compatible anyways), plus it's a bit easier to buy stuff. If Apple made a Mini with a Blu-ray drive, that would rock, although you can buy one at fastmac.com and in theory it works with the Mini, but the price is crazy if you ask me . Rolling Eyes

...but than again the Mini would allow you to use your computer while watching TV if you get a wireless mouse and keyboard, that would rock.

I moved our mini into the living room, and it's working well so far, except for the fact that my computer is hooked up to the TV now... Smile

I'm tempted to get the AppleTV for simplicity's sake. I'd miss the DVD player on the mini, but can use the standalone. The only thing holding me back is .avi playback for the few shows we might download (Top Gear, etc).
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw412fan wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
Both are amazing, I personally prefer AppleTV cause it has an HDMI port (DVI and HDMI are reverse compatible anyways), plus it's a bit easier to buy stuff. If Apple made a Mini with a Blu-ray drive, that would rock, although you can buy one at fastmac.com and in theory it works with the Mini, but the price is crazy if you ask me . Rolling Eyes

...but than again the Mini would allow you to use your computer while watching TV if you get a wireless mouse and keyboard, that would rock.

I moved our mini into the living room, and it's working well so far, except for the fact that my computer is hooked up to the TV now... Smile

I'm tempted to get the AppleTV for simplicity's sake. I'd miss the DVD player on the mini, but can use the standalone. The only thing holding me back is .avi playback for the few shows we might download (Top Gear, etc).

You could always convert the avi files, or hack the appletv Twisted Evil
vw412fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
vw412fan wrote:

You could always convert the avi files, or hack the appletv Twisted Evil

Lol, I started converting my avi's with VisualHub (worked great) but I have the instant gratification factor going against me... once the file is downloaded, they want to "watch it now!" But if boxee (or similar) would take care of the avi problem, then the AppleTV would do the trick.

I'm really leaning that way, since I don't have plans to turn the mini into a DVR or anything either.
nlrela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast is a mini with mounting ISO files ?

I do have a couple fo hundred (music) ISO files with which I wanna have jukebox functionality. This of course only works if the mini mounts within a split second (like my PopCornHour or PixelMagic Mediabox).

My Apple TV does not work steady with ISO (ATV Flash 3.4.4 installed)
macguy787

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: TV resolution from Mac Mini Reply with quote

Without hijacking this informative thread, I'm thinking about moving my Mac Mini downstairs and connecting it to my 46" Sony Bravia through the VGA input.

This is probably a dumb question but what resolution would I run at? Would it be adequate for Safari, playing DVDs or Divx?

Thanks in advance for replying
dbrad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: You have to go for the AppleTV Reply with quote

I have both AppleTV and Mac Mini and the AppleTV is tops when it comes to sound quality - resolution if your using a TV its far superior. This is what I have as a set-up for all my DVD's...

320GB Apple TV connected to a TB WD Drive. Install Boxee and you won't need to worry about encoding. Boxee recognizes all formats. Just rip and upload all your movies to AppleTV and you'll have your full library of movies which you can play at high res and great sound. Believe me I run both Mac Mini and on the AppleTV and the AppleTV with boxee of course is the way to go. Some guy mentioned he had problems having to hack the AppleTV but all he need do was to install boxee and it takes care of everything. You say you will have the addition of email etc on the mini, yes you will have all the benifits of a computer but as you say its secondary to ur work space. Get onto the AppleTV Forums and rerearch b4 you make a decision!
pmcd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both an Apple TV and a Mac Mini (09) hooked up to the same HDTV. Love both. You don't need to re-encode your xvid files. There are several solutions available (xbmc and Boxee are but two). The one I prefer is to use the usb "patchstick" to activate ssh (this is a free item) abd software menu. Then upgrade software menu (you can also install Launcher 3.1 from software menu if you want xbmc). Install Perian and nitoTV. At this point you can play most files (not 720p .mkv's). Now use nitoTV to install support for USB and plug in a USB drive. You are then done and can play most files from your ATV. We are talking 20 minutes, and it's free. Nothing complicated, just point and click. The "patchstick" is available at http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/ .

Have a look at VideoDrive which will trick the Apple TV and allow you to sync xvid from iTunes. Great software.

philip
tukom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to find a reason why I would need ATV over my Mac Mini and I really don't see the business case for my digital living room.

I do not like switching between different systems if I want to play music, watch movies or browse in the Internet. I do not live in US so I am not able to enjoy iTunes store movies.

Still looking forward hearing real value adding arguments supporting ATV.
Sidha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using AppleTV with a lot of pleasure.. actually planning on buying a second one too..

it is not about what system is better.. it is about how you are going to use it..

i don't read/write emails or do other things in my living room so i have no need to use a full system there.. i have an iMac for that, which also has 4 HD's attached to it (configured as Raid) that holds my iTunes library..

the problem with recoding every movie you have is easily solved with the Elgato Turbo.264.. it recodes a movie in 20 minutes and has good quality.. a TV Season in about 2 hours.. use Identify and/or MetaX and you're all set.. my appletv is not even hacked or flashed..

and @tukom.. you don't have to live in the US to buy movies and tv episodes from the itunes store Razz

but if you want more then only watch movies/tv shows/music then a mini is awesome.. i have one in the bedroom, it's just that keeping two itunes library's in sync is more of a pain then it should be..

you can also use plex and get the files from a network drive.. but info about the files is still stored locally, so you have to do those steps on every system.

the main problem i have never seen discussed in these forums is about not having one mediacenter, but having two(!!).. this changes quite a lot and so far ONLY iTunes with AppleTV keeps the whole lot in perfect sync all the time without any hassle.. (or sharing screens and drives)
markbeyer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed boxee and wow it is slow on AppleTV. Unusable IMHO. I'm setting up an old laptop because that's what I have now. But the mini is the better form factor. Much better than ATV.
allan101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
The Mini also works perfect with the matching IOMEGA-drives. A stack of two Iomega 500GB drives, and a Mini with 60GB – will definitly give you storage for the next five years.My choice will be a Mini – optic audio to the surroundreciever, DVI to the HDTV. Also it lets me use plugins for xvid, divx and other piracy formats Razz
orionjett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the Mac mini, Apple TV syncs with precision to your HDTV on a pure plug-and-play Though it sounds fancy, I do not really know what that means. I can connect my laptop to my HDTV or projector DVI to HDMI cable fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: