123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handbrake 0.9.3 released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudiger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Handbrake 0.9.3 released Reply with quote

Can't wait to tweaked the Apple TV settings for all my rips!
gibmini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, the answer to my prayers (well, almost): a way for a ludite like me to get those avi's etc onto the apple tv with a single step!

Just tried it and it worked perfectly!

Thank you Handbrake!

GM

(yes I know it was totally doable before, but this is a way that I can deal with) Very Happy
gibmini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is working brilliantly and all those files that I was only able to view on my laptop/mini are on the atv. I did though encounter one slightly odd thing: I had a file with 5.1 sound and handbrake completely failed to deal with this. The end result was no sound at all apart from the occasional click.

I used the standard ATV template (tweaked down to 2,300 and with 2 pass) to convert this avi. Does anyone know if there is a setting that deal with 5.1 sound? Or, is it likely to be a problem restricted to this file?

The file plays fine on the mini in its 'original' avi format, its only after the conversion to atv format that the sound freaks out.

Cheers!
bfuerst1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone else having a hard time ripping dvd's
i have tried 3 dvds and all of them ever encode properly

btw - conversions work perfectly
apple bluetooth wireless mouse
apple aluminum keyboard
22 inch Samsung Display
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfuerst1 wrote:

I have not tried straight ripping from dvd through handbrake. I usually just rip a bunch with MTR first so I can setup a queue for handbrake to do overnight.

Are the DVDs new? It might not be able to get around the protection. Another reason to use a separate ripper Wink
bfuerst1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dvd that is having the most problems is 3:10 to yuma (2007). Back over the summer when i bought the dvd it ripped fine using handbrake, i deleted it and a couple of my legal dvd's because i knew i could always re rip them when i was setting up a raid server and i didnt have enough space on my other drives- (a 500 gb and 640 gb western digital harddrive now bigger than a terabyte in size) Cool . after this was done i went to re rip it a couple days ago and handbrake will either freeze up or copy the dvd but only make it kilobytes in size thus lasting only 4 seconds.

i am not sure what my next step is, if nothing works i will have to do search the bay
apple aluminum keyboard
22 inch Samsung Display
bfuerst1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dvd that is having the most problems is 3:10 to yuma (2007). Back over the summer when i bought the dvd it ripped fine using handbrake, i deleted it and a couple of my legal dvd's because i knew i could always re rip them when i was setting up a raid server and i didnt have enough space on my other drives- (a 500 gb and 640 gb western digital harddrive now bigger than a terabyte in size) Cool . after this was done i went to re rip it a couple days ago and handbrake will either freeze up or copy the dvd but only make it kilobytes in size thus lasting only 4 seconds.

i am not sure what my next step is, if nothing works i will have to do search the bay
apple aluminum keyboard
22 inch Samsung Display
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bfuerst, have you tried using Fairmount? It should allow you to convert with HB, if your problem is the protection.
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:
Bfuerst, have you tried using Fairmount? It should allow you to convert with HB, if your problem is the protection.

+1, or MTR Twisted Evil
gibmini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I exclusively use handbrake to rip my DVD's. It works for me 8 times out of 10, but less so with 2008 DVD's. I'm sure that there are far more effective ways of ripping them but frankly I cannot be bothered. Smile

Getting 3 in a row is unfortunate for sure though. I've ripped 100+ DVD's from my collection and most have been fine. The 2 pass option seems to help matters.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfuerst1 wrote:

+1

I have tried about 6 different DVD's, HandBrake just hangs up while scanning the titles. I've had to resort to using MTR and DVDFab (In XP, ewww) to rip them to the hard drive, then use HB. This sucks! HB has ripped 98% of my collection with one easy step, what gives! I might need to go back to version 0.9.2 to get it to actually work again.

Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
usarcher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
bfuerst1 wrote:

+1

I have tried about 6 different DVD's, HandBrake just hangs up while scanning the titles. I've had to resort to using MTR and DVDFab (In XP, ewww) to rip them to the hard drive, then use HB. This sucks! HB has ripped 98% of my collection with one easy step, what gives! I might need to go back to version 0.9.2 to get it to actually work again.

Crying or Very sad

Straight from HandBrake's website:

"No more internal DVD decryption
Yeah, we know, no one reading this is going "Oh wow, no more DVD decryption--what a great new feature!" but...deal.

HandBrake will dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss if you have it in your Applications folder in Mac OS X, and if you're on Linux, and you want to live on the wild side, you can install libdvdcss on your system and get the same effect.

Translation of the last paragraph from nerdese:

We're not about to stop you from choosing to decrypt DVDs. If you're on a Mac, and you have VLC 0.9.x installed, you won't even notice the internal capability's gone. If you're on Linux, all you have to do is install a library."

So there's your problem with the new version Rolling Eyes
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:

We're not about to stop you from choosing to decrypt DVDs. If you're on a Mac, and you have VLC 0.9.x installed, you won't even notice the internal capability's gone. If you're on Linux, all you have to do is install a library."

Well understood, however, I do have VLC installed and HB still can not scan the titles on my DVD's.

So in spite of their claim that if I have VLC installed I won't even notice a difference, I, in fact, do notice a HUGE difference. So much so that it renders the application nearly useless.

Way bummed. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
usarcher wrote:

Well understood, however, I do have VLC installed and HB still can not scan the titles on my DVD's.

So in spite of their claim that if I have VLC installed I won't even notice a difference, I, in fact, do notice a HUGE difference. So much so that it renders the application nearly useless.

Way bummed. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

That was my point, since they entrust the decrypting to VLC it takes a big hit to its functionality. I have never had any luck with VLC for encoding purposes.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="usarcher"][quote="hackersmovie"]
usarcher wrote:

I had the same problem. Restarting my Mac seemed to solve it once I had installed VLC. Good Luck.
BTW I sometimes use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the DVD's Then I queue a large batch and leave Handbrake running overnight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: