123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Apple TV 2.3 Software Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Apple TV 2.3 Software Update Reply with quote

Apple Releases Apple TV 2.3 Software Update
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Apple released the Apple TV 2.3 Software Update earlier this evening. New features and improvements in this update include the following:

- Music can be streamed via AirTunes to Airport Express speakers or other Apple TVs in your house.
- Apple TV can now learn other remote controls and use them in addition to the Apple Remote.
- Playlists in iTunes that contain Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and Music Videos can now be seen on Apple TV.
- Support for volume control in Music.

I don't know about you, but I'm thrilled about the addition of volume control for music. The support for third-party remote controls sounds great too.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1080.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Apple TV 2.3 Software Update Reply with quote

admin wrote:
- Apple TV can now learn other remote controls and use them in addition to the Apple Remote.

I wonder how that works? I'm not in front of my Apple TV right now.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Apple TV 2.3 Software Update Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
I wonder how that works? I'm not in front of my Apple TV right now.

It's freaking awesome! I just set it up with a DirectTV remote in like five seconds. It's in the same place you set up the iPhone as a remote. Any IR remote will basically work. It learns the controls when you hold down a button. Then you assign the remote a name and select to use it.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds great! I can't wait to give it a try.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Apple would bring some of this stuff over to Front Row. Sad
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will wipe off boxee if you have it installed, and reports show that you can't get boxee back on, for the moment that is. So this will be the first update that I will have to pass on the first day.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I just set it up with a DirectTV remote in like five seconds.

That's my main remote. Cool

usarcher wrote:
It will wipe off boxee if you have it installed, and reports show that you can't get boxee back on, for the moment that is. So this will be the first update that I will have to pass on the first day.

Bummer. I bet Apple employees are even disappointed about that one. Sad

I wish Apple would start releasing these updates for the Apple TV during regular hours. Now I have to wait until after work. Laughing

It definitely sounds like a nice one from a usability standpoint, but it's shame they couldn't bring the volume control over to video. The remote learning sounds awesome though. I've always hated the Apple Remote. The Remote app is okay, but I would rather have something more universal and substantial in size. At least for when I'm sitting right in front of the TV.
iLife's a Bitch!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ATV is like three steps away from perfection now. It just needs support for more formats out of the box, USB expansion and Netflix streaming. I'm literarily praying for the last one, even though I doubt it will ever happen. It sort of goes against Apple's business model for the ATV.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Fazzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's getting better, but I really think Apple needs to lower the price to like $149. That beyond anything else would probably help the Apple TV do better. Especially considering that Apple generates revenue from direct content sales and rentals. And I don't know if Steve knows this, but you can buy an Xbox 360 for less than the Apple TV now. Then again, when has Jobs ever cared about value or pricing? Razz
qrayg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I think the ATV is like three steps away from perfection now. It just needs support for more formats out of the box, USB expansion and Netflix streaming. I'm literarily praying for the last one, even though I doubt it will ever happen. It sort of goes against Apple's business model for the ATV.

These are the things it needs IMO:

* Better UI. Take 2 destroyed the intuitiveness. I can get at my media quicker by using my PS3 and MediaLink.

* Disc Slot or optional DVD/BluRay accessory.

* No forced iTunes syncing. I'd like to fully control the content and stream from a Mac or Air Disk rather than be forced to store all of the data on the device. The HDD is great for rentals / temporary large files like video podcasts.

* Produce less heat. I leave mine in sleep mode 90% of the time, but it always feels like it's on fire.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:
* Better UI. Take 2 destroyed the intuitiveness. I can get at my media quicker by using my PS3 and MediaLink.

Yeah, it's a little repetitive and busy when it comes to usability.

qrayg wrote:

A built-in blu-ray player would be great, but I don't think Apple is excited by the format. I think they see it as competition as it goes against their business model of selling downloads. So I think it will hit the desktop well before coming to the ATV, if ever.

Quote:
* No forced iTunes syncing. I'd like to fully control the content and stream from a Mac or Air Disk rather than be forced to store all of the data on the device. The HDD is great for rentals / temporary large files like video podcasts.

You really do have a lot of control in iTunes, but it would be cool if you could select other folders and stream from them.

qrayg wrote:
* Produce less heat. I leave mine in sleep mode 90% of the time, but it always feels like it's on fire.

I almost added this to the list. The heat levels have always bothered me. I will even unplug mine if I know that I'm going to be away for an extended period. I'm not sure it needed a shutdown feature, but they probably should have considered it. I also think it would have been smart for the ATV to have an external power supply and better ventilation. I think the built-in power supply throws of a majority of the heat.

So let's make that like 5 or 6 steps away from perfection. Smile
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:
blazer wrote:

I've been able to live without a disk slot on the Aspire One (NetBook) and MacBook Air. I have a BD player, and I really like the quality. but I can live with out it too, I just wish the Apple TV came with a bigger hard drive, and it can't be easily upgrades cause it voids the warranty, and you can't buy one of those new 500GB 2.5" SATA drives cause it can't take SATA.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this was a sweet little update. I have my Sony TV remote working and eveything now. Very Happy

Now, I wish they would bring that volume control over to Movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: