123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Updates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moofa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediTimmy wrote:
yeah the mini really needs 64mb+ VRAM.
now im glad i havnt bought my mac mini yet Very Happy

A person on this thread at macrumors.com (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150629)

is claiming he received one of the updated minis already (I wonder how S. Jobs would feel about that). It still has the Radeon 9200 but it looks like the VRAM has been upgraded to 64Mb. So, from what I understand, still no 100% Core-Image compatibility (like the ibook's 9550), but this will make it compatible with more games and people having problems driving larger displays should see an improvement.
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have upgraded the GPU then I think I will get another one. Love this mini but I was thinking bought getting one so I could put it in the living room as a guest comp when I entertain. Has anyone heard if the new bluetooth is something you can buy and upgrade separately?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moofa wrote:

is claiming he received one of the updated minis already (I wonder how S. Jobs would feel about that). It still has the Radeon 9200 but it looks like the VRAM has been upgraded to 64Mb. So, from what I understand, still no 100% Core-Image compatibility (like the ibook's 9550), but this will make it compatible with more games and people having problems driving larger displays should see an improvement.

So that's the question. What would poeple rather have, a card that can do core image or has more ram???

I'll take more ram.
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:

So that's the question. What would poeple rather have, a card that can do core image or has more ram???

I'll take more ram.

Both! There is no reason why Apple should have a system that can't take 100% advantage of OS X. It's not like the technology doesn't exist. This is a simple video card we are talking about.
mcdigg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Apple usually move back shipping a few days before an update? The Mac mini still shows same day shipping. I'm glad I held off ordering mine last week. I'll watch this play out for a few days. Maybe I lucked out this time and will get the latest and greatest!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdigg wrote:
Doesn't Apple usually move back shipping a few days before an update? The Mac mini still shows same day shipping. I'm glad I held off ordering mine last week. I'll watch this play out for a few days. Maybe I lucked out this time and will get the latest and greatest!

It will be interesting to see what happens to ship times over the weekend.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Store is still showing 24 hours. I'm starting to have my doubts.
furioshonen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: The #1 needed upgrade Reply with quote

The Mac mini desperately needs a microphone in port... it is by far the biggest down fall of the Mac mini.

Without the microphone in-port not only can you not use Skype, or voice recognition software in Tiger with a normal inexpensive headset, but you have to buy an expensive USB one which uses up the valuable USB slots in the back.

The other big problem is that the Bluetooth headsets are not yet an option. Not only are these headsets really expensive but also they are uncomfortable compared to the cheaper plug-in. And if you are using it in a family setting, using those inner ear Bluetooth headsets with multiple users can be unsanitary.

I bought a Mac mini for my girlfriend, and I love this machine much more than my overly powerful PC. I am constantly using her Mac mini, despite her constant protests. The only thing stopping me from buying one for my parents (who have an out of date PC) and possibly one for my self is this very silly microphone in port.

Until manufacturer start making over the head stereo Bluetooth headsets with microphone, or apple puts in a very simple microphone in port.
ba747heavy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a griffin iMic. Cost roughly $39 I believe, and you get a nice mic-in. You use a precious USB port, but all in all I think it is the best trade off. YMMV of course.
andp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ba747heavy wrote:
Use a griffin iMic. Cost roughly $39 I believe, and you get a nice mic-in. You use a precious USB port, but all in all I think it is the best trade off. YMMV of course.

iBook users have been in the same boat for years. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Apple to add it with the mini. There are many ways to get audio into the mini. You can always buy a USB mic like this one. or use an iMic like ba747heavy mentioned. In fact, USB audio in may have less noise associated with it in some circumstances.
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5Ghz G4
80Gd HD
512Mb RAM
ATI 9200
64Mb VRAM

i want it in black.Twisted Evil
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediTimmy wrote:
1.5Ghz G4
80Gd HD
512Mb RAM
ATI 9200
64Mb VRAM

i want it in black.Twisted Evil

That certainly would look good with a black nano with black dock and black LCD display.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple store is still up. Looks like no updates today. Sad
iLife's a Bitch!
imationx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1290 Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imationx wrote:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1290 Smile

Wicked! Cool

The mini still won't be able to do Core Image with the 9200. That's really stupid!
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: