123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Tells Macworld Holiday Line-up Is Set
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Apple Tells Macworld Holiday Line-up Is Set Reply with quote

Apple Tells Macworld Holiday Line-up Is Set
Monday, November 3, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Well, it doesn't look like Apple will be releasing any new products before the holiday shopping season. Bill Evans, an Apple spokesman, told Macworld today that the company's holiday line-up is "set". This basically means that the next opportunity for products like the Mac mini, iMac or Mac Pro to be updated will come in early January at the Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco. It's scheduled to begin on January 5th to be exact, so mark your calendars.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1068.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Evans = bummer man delivers. Sad

Oh well, hopefully whatever comes will be pre-loaded with Snow Leopard. I've been thinking it might not be such a good time to buy anyways. The cost of upgrading to Snow Leopard is a decent percentage of the total cost of buying a new Mac mini.

Last edited by Ben Tex on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Fazzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, Bob Evans said no lunch for the rest of the year. Razz

I'm so disappointed. Has Apple surrendered on desktops to the Hackintosh movement? It only seems like they are interested in the iPhone, iPod and MacBooks these days. Mad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people are disappointed, but I'm not. My C2D mini has been the latest and greatest mini for over a year now Smile .

Looks like waiting until Snow Leopard comes installed makes sense now, unless you are happy with the current config.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Looks like waiting until Snow Leopard comes installed makes sense now, unless you are happy with the current config.

Exactly, as long as Snow Leopard doesn't drift into the summer or fall of 2009. I guess we should hear or have the skinny on that at Macworld too, which should be an exciting one.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks! I really thought they would release an updated Mac mini and iMac with the 24" Cinema display. Anyone know when the 24" Cinema is actually shipping out now?
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little disappointing but it was only rumour saying that the iMac and Mac Mini may be updated.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
It's a little disappointing but it was only rumour saying that the iMac and Mac Mini may be updated.

So true.

People really get carried away with rumors. They snowball to the effect that people take them as news or truth.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
People really get carried away with rumors. They snowball to the effect that people take them as news or truth.

I'm always amazed with how Mac rumors snowball out of control. One rumor and it becomes set in stone.

I'm also with you on having the latest and greatest C2D Mac mini. It's like having a system that never goes out of date. Smile

To be honest, most of these updates are over hyped anyways. At least when it comes to processor upgrades. I would also rather have a system that's been tried and tested. Say what you want about the current Mac minis being "out of date", but they are stable little buggers. The don't perform bad either.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I look at Apple's slowness in updating systems as a good thing. This way of thinking is difficult for some of us to get used to (especially switchers.

Long periods of time between updates means that a large user base will own that configuration. All of the bugs get noted and ironed out in firmware updates. Software developers have ample time to develop for a given hardware set. Peripheral manufacturers have a much easier time developing products.

It would be nice if Apple dropped the prices a little though.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I agree. That's really one of the major downsides right now. The current components just don't cost what they did over a year ago. They should at least be throwing in a larger capacity hard drive and more RAM in current crop of Mac minis. I mean, bring a little more value if you're not going to lower prices.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I agree. That's really one of the major downsides right now. The current components just don't cost what they did over a year ago. They should at least be throwing in a larger capacity hard drive and more RAM in current crop of Mac minis. I mean, bring a little more value if you're not going to lower prices.

I really don't understand why Apple doesn't drop the prices quarterly (by $25-$50) if there are no updates. Apples way of thinking seems to be to release an update at around or less than the previous configs price. This isn't a bad way of thinking if they updated the models a few times a year.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I really don't understand why Apple doesn't drop the prices quarterly (by $25-$50) if there are no updates. Apples way of thinking seems to be to release an update at around or less than the previous configs price. This isn't a bad way of thinking if they updated the models a few times a year.

this is good practice for much of the other models in their line up, it just doesn't work well for the Mini. I doubt they will change the "rules" for one model. I could be wrong though.....

My 2 cents
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might buy a new mini if Apple adapts USB 3.0 and puts a new 3.0 USB slot in the mini. I'll have to dispose of all my FW equipment I guess, as all new stuff will be released for the new 10x faster than USB 2.0 standard...
O.T.O.H. building an compatible PC with the EFIX dongle might be quicker and hopefully the motherboards will be quick to adapt that new standard... On top of that, hd's and blu ray burners can be built inside Razz
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I might buy a new mini if Apple adapts USB 3.0 and puts a new 3.0 USB slot in the mini.

That would be cool, but are there actually USB 3.0 devices for sale? I think it's early for that one. I would just like to see them continue on with firewire. It seems like it could go away now since they moved away from it on the MacBook, which is also crazy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: