123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Maps without data plan abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt_London

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Using Maps without data plan abroad Reply with quote

Hi
Just picked up my iphone 16Gig in white - looks cool- and was wondering how to pre load it with maps for say Spain so that I can use it abroad without having to roam and incurr huge data costs.

Also, any way to get my songs as ringtones?

Thanks

Matt
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... In Safari, open google then, maps.

Garage band is your friend for ringtones. Throw the track you want in there, highlight the portion you want (no more than 30 seconds) then go up to file and "create ringtone" or something like that....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Matt_London

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I get you on the maps thing...
Where does it give you the option to download certain maps and save them on the iphone?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt_London wrote:
Not sure if I get you on the maps thing...
Where does it give you the option to download certain maps and save them on the iphone?

You can't. But they are available when ever you need them either through the "maps" app or you can just go to www.maps.google.com and view any map of the world in real time....

why would you need to download and save them when they are available on the web? If you worried about roaming charges, make sure there is wifi around....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Matt_London

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't help for when you are driving around though. That's why I want them pre-loaded which I could do on my N95 (which had a much smaller storage).
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt_London wrote:
This doesn't help for when you are driving around though. That's why I want them pre-loaded which I could do on my N95 (which had a much smaller storage).

They don't need to be downloaded for it to give you driving directions. I use mine as a navigation all the time.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose to go the "jailbroken" route you can download maps with a app found in Cydia. That way you can have access to those maps with out a wifi of data connection available. I'll try to remember the name of the app.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: