123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Technologies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: NewerTech Technologies Reply with quote

I’m a new to the tech side of computers and could use the help of experts. To go with my Mac Min 1.42GHz, I recently purchased the Newertech HD enclosure to install a preferably fast hard drive between 250-400GB. However after researching hard drives I’m confused with which drive will work in NewerTech enclosure. Should I buy a HD with IDE Ultra ATA 100, or IDE Ultra ATA 133, or Serial ATA hard drive. Do I purchase a HD with 8MB buffer or 16MB buffer. My use of the HD would be for digital photos and short video editing with FCP. Sadly the only thing I’m certain of is that I want to buy a 7200rpm. Any help would be appreciated.
-Alec
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want an IDE (ATA) drive. I'm partial to Seagates but thats just because I've had very good experiences with them both professionally and at home. I'm using a Seagate in mine mostly because I had a spare Seagate available. However, there has been mention that some of the Seagates do not fit in the miniStack enclosure. You could double-check with NewerTech before purchasing.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Alec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
You'll want an IDE (ATA) drive. I'm partial to Seagates but thats just because I've had very good experiences with them both professionally and at home. I'm using a Seagate in mine mostly because I had a spare Seagate available. However, there has been mention that some of the Seagates do not fit in the miniStack enclosure. You could double-check with NewerTech before purchasing.

Thanks for the help Greg. In fact I was just reading one of your previous post that makes reference to models .7 or .8 Seagate hard drive. Greg can you comment on ATA 100 or ATA 300 and 8MB or 16MB buffer?

Last edited by Alec on Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Noetic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to install a 300GB Seagate. I think it was an 8 and it would not fit. So I installed a Maxtor. I didn't like the fan noise of the miniStealth so I returned it. I have the Lacie mini on order and should get it in a week. It really won't make that much of a difference between ATA 100 or 133 or 8MB and 16MB buffer. I believe the difference would be a couple of seconds between them and it would depend on what you are doing.

• 1.42 mini (1GB) 120GB HD OSX 10.5.1
• 1.33 12" PB (1.3GB) 60GB HD OSX 10.5.1
• 500mhz Mac Cube (768MB) 120GB HD OSX 10.4.11
trigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would want ATA 133 its not a noticable diff. form ATA 100 but you want all you can get right? In the PC's we build at my store we use 8mb buffer, also we use maxtor.
Alec

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my NewerTech enclosure i'm considering the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB IDE Ultra ATA 133 7200rpm with 16MB Cache at NewEgg for $ 122.00 Does anyone have any experience with this particular drive model (6L300R0) or Maxtor drives in general (noise level, heat and reliabilty).
Thanks in advance.
redcomet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the company endorses maxtor and hitachi HDs on their enclosures since .8 barracudas wont fit.
spoonman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redcomet wrote:
the company endorses maxtor and hitachi HDs on their enclosures since .8 barracudas wont fit.

You know... everyone on here keeps saying they don't fit, but I did put one in mine.... granted it was a tight fit, but it did go in..... is this a bad thing??
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonman wrote:
redcomet wrote:

You know... everyone on here keeps saying they don't fit, but I did put one in mine.... granted it was a tight fit, but it did go in..... is this a bad thing??

Its just certain drives. My Seagate was a tight fit too but it did fit.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Seagate Barracuda will fit in. I just ordered one yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: