123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: LaCie mini Hard Drive & Hub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Noisy La Cie 500mb Drive - because of the fan Reply with quote

After escalation via my supplier, the La Cie product management agreed that the product description for the 500gb should be amended. The smaller drives are quiet but the larger drives need a fan and are not "ultra quiet". My supplier agreed to a swap out.

My solution was to put a 300gb La Cie Hard Drive (Porche Firewire model) into a cupboard under the Mac Mini (I can just hear it, slightly louder than the Mini) and put a large La Cie Ethernet drive in my loft (making my old backup PC redundant) - and that can make as much noise at it likes!

In practise I have found that all the usual media apps (iTunes, iPhoto, EyeTV) run very well on either of these drives.
HappyAsLarryWithMacMini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: NewerTech 500G quiet Reply with quote

After reading the postings on this forum decided to buy the NewerStack 1/2 TByte because of quiet operation. Was not disappointed. It is quiet, even though the fan never turns off.

Don't forget to reformat to FAT32 using the Mac disc utility (MS-DOS format selection) if you want to use your machine in OSX and Parallels' Windows modes.
coryss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Try Replacing the Fan? Reply with quote

I have two of these LaCie 500GB models. Like many other posters, I find the drives work very well, but the noise level is ridiculous. Rather than replace the device entirely, I'm trying to replace the fan.

Carefully removing the metal bottom plate of the LaCie drive case reveals an attached 25mmx25mmx10mm 12V 2-pin fan.

The label reads: ARX DC BRUSHLESS
FD1225-S1042A
DC 12V 0.09A
Made in China (F3)

Very unusual model. I'm looking to replace the fan with a quieter model. Even if the fan runs a lot, I have to imagine there are quieter models out there.

I asked, but have not yet heard back from LaCie, what replacement model of fan they would suggest.

Anyone here on this board attempt or succeed in replacing this fan?

MacMini 1.83Ghz 2GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: