123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The State of the Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: The State of the Mac mini Reply with quote

The State of the Mac mini
Friday, October 24, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Our old friends over at Macminicolo have published a report titled "The State of the Mac mini", which basically takes on some of the misconceptions out there about the Mac mini. You know, like how it's selling so poorly these days (see picture at bottom of page). The report also speculates about the future of the Mac mini, and goes on to say that new models are on the way. Here's an excerpt from the report:

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1063.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that certainly sounds a lot more positive. There was no mention of an upgraded processor, but I have to think that that's a given in a new mini. It would probably be more expensive to keep Meroms in the mini than go to one of the more common chips. That would also be good news for upgrade potential, unless they solder it on.
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news indeed! I'm so ready to retire my G4 Mac mini and upgrade.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!!! This is the best news posted on this site in many, many months!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm skeptical about the dual hard drives, but the rest sounds great. Especially if they move the mini to Nvidia graphics. I might even be a buyer. Nothing else in the Apple line really excites me. Everthing is too glossy. Sad
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the olde saying...

Seeing is believing.... Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
What's the olde saying...

Seeing is believing.... Cool

I said the same thing the other day when there was talk of things going the other way. This would be welcomed news though. In fact, Apple better get these things in the stores as soon as possible. It looks like the stock market is going to crash hard again today. The futures are down 550 with limits to the downside. I'm not saying the Mac mini is going to support Apple during these times, but I really think they need something more compelling in that $500 to $999 price range. I can't imagine them selling a bunch of Mac Pros or 24" iMacs on a day like this. I think small though. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Flyers 89

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sign me up for one, maybe two. Just keepa da firewire Steve. All of my externals are firewire.
Fazzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It even looks like those touchscreen HPs are outselling the iMac. Surprised

Just hurry up and update the Mac minis Apple. I'm sick and tired of waiting around. You're starting to make me think twice about getting a Dell Studio Hybrid. I'm also with Flyers 89 on firewire. Please at least keep firewire 400 around. I really need it for my older Sony camcorder.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like assumptions, they make sense too; like the Nvidia graphics, SATA, Wireless N, etc...

I just don't understand why, with the release from competitors, of the Dell Studio Hybrid, ASUS EEE desktop, and a few others, Apple continues to ignore the Mini.

Like Fox mentioned above, there is no mention of the CPU, and I agree, it does make sense to upgrade it; I really just hope they don't make it super hard to access it or soldier it in.

...o well, hopefully we'll see the new Mini soon, and I really hope Apple didn't forget about it.

Last edited by ESUNintel on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazzy wrote:
It even looks like those touchscreen HPs are outselling the iMac. Surprised

Just hurry up and update the Mac minis Apple. I'm sick and tired of waiting around. You're starting to make me think twice about getting a Dell Studio Hybrid. I'm also with Flyers 89 on firewire. Please at least keep firewire 400 around. I really need it for my older Sony camcorder.

I've really considered the Hybrid too. It makes the perfect computer to plug into an HDTV, with the HDMI output, Blu-ray option, and a few other goodies; but I really love OS X, and I'm willing to sacrifice the Blu-ray option (get a stand alone Blu-player, or external Blu drive, just to prevent using Windows. ...and it's not that I don't like Windows, I actually like Vista (weird), but ever since I started using OS X, I just prefer it over anything else.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cautiously optimistic. That being said, I thought something like this might happen when they release the new 24" Cinema. It seems to make sense timing wise. And that's is fine by me. I've been waiting and waiting to pick up a second Mac mind for HTPC.
Artevolve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First posted 23-10-2008 20:03

at last proof of life after death!Smile Look out people for the mac nano! Apple will give us the perfect living room pc/htpc/media centre/hub. Bound to have MacBook or MacBook pro spec without bluray drive ( but Amex digital can provide) - its just a matter of when! The margin for apple would be outstanding (since they save on cost of screen and keyboard) perfect for business and consumers during these lean times and just what they need to compete with the sub £500 junk out there and again satisfy demands of shareholders and mac fans.

The mac mini has always had potential to be apples Trojan horse - hit the living room, hit the switchers, hit those that just want their stuff to do everything, that just works and looks (black) ice cool. It will all be controlled by an updated Remote app on their ipod touch or iphone. Did I mention game-console potential, with app store capability! :apple:
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I've been waiting and waiting to pick up a second Mac mind for HTPC.

I have first dibs on Steve Jobs' mind...

Wozniaks' is the 'second Mac mind'... Very Happy

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Texark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I've really considered the Hybrid too. It makes the perfect computer to plug into an HDTV, with the HDMI output, Blu-ray option, and a few other goodies; but I really love OS X, and I'm willing to sacrifice the Blu-ray option (get a stand alone Blu-player, or external Blu drive, just to prevent using Windows. ...and it's not that I don't like Windows, I actually like Vista (weird), but ever since I started using OS X, I just prefer it over anything else.

I bought a Dell Hybrid with Blu-ray a few weeks after they came out. It's working out well for HTPC with WMC. I also like the system itself. The pictures online don't do it much justice. It's really cool looking in person. That being said, I couldn't imagine using Vista every day for the normal stuff. It's pretty bad that way. I'll probably pick up another Mac mini down the road for regular old computer usage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: