123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATV - Stutter or stoping during playback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Konolua

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: ATV - Stutter or stoping during playback Reply with quote

Hi all. I have a question for the group.

I have random issues with playback. Multiple movies (different encodes as well ranging from 2000kbps - 4850kbps) on different movie titles. What is going on is a slew of things (listed below).

- Fog appears to moving at 1/5th speed. Not smooth, though other action is fine (opening of Pirates 1. The boat coming out of the fog. Boat is smooth and moving the fog looks like it's doing a 1980's robot impression).

- Wind. On Mr. Deeds the helicopter blows the Mandrake Falls sign and it does the 80's robot as well. Also, the guys hair blowing weird. Like it's missing a third frame or something.

- Smoke. On Indiana Jones there is a fire and the smoke is like the fog mentioned before.

All of these examples play PERFECTLY on iTunes from the host computer, on the iPhone, and on my wife's MacBook via streaming, but the issues exsist on the Apple TV.

Do I just have to deal with this? Is it an underpowered processor? The kicker is that on a Gun's N' Roses concert video, the drummer starts a drum solo and a light show of blue and red spot lights flicker quickly and the Apple TV is a GUARENTEE to freeze.

What do you all think?

Thanks to all for your click!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess where there is smoke, there is fire. Wink

Actually, I would bet the movies closer to 4850kbps are the ones giving you trouble. I bump most of my MPEG-4 and H.264's down to 2000–2250kbps. Anything over like 2500kps and playback starts taking a major hit. The Apple TV just isn't that powerful if you know what I mean. I really don't think there is anything wrong with your Apple TV, as long as your MPEG and H.264 movies play fine under 2500kbps
gibmini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a search through the forum and you'll find a post from me on this subject and I got some really useful responses from people. I've certainly experienced what you have experienced with DVD's I've ripped with handbrake. Dropping down to 2,000 has really helped out for my movies.

I suspect though that you are correct in your assessment that the ATV is just too damned slow. Now, I suppose the question is, if they bring out a faster version (doubt they will) would you upgrade?

I'd probably not...
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitrate is important, however, the method and profiles in which you encode are even MORE important....

Apple wrote:
Video formats supported

H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p
MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Audio formats supported
AAC (16 to 320 Kbps); protected AAC (from iTunes Store); MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps); MP3 VBR; Apple Lossless; AIFF; WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

You'll notice there are very specific specifications to the files and their stucture.... If you don't adhere to them you'll certainly have issues... Even with Handbrake you can rip unwatchable encodes by tinkering too much with the settings....

Hope this helps....

I agree though, I normally cap my average bitrate to 2500kbps and all is well....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gconrads

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ATV - Stutter or stoping during playback Reply with quote

Konolua wrote:
...the drummer starts a drum solo...

Also, the apple TV hates weak drum solos and is a bit of a movie snob, so you might try watching some respectable movies and avoiding self indulgent music videos featuring artists that just fill time with excessive drum solos. If you have to watch a drum solo try warming up with some Rush. My Apple TV has a soft spot for Rush and generally get's in the "mood" after that...

Twisted Evil
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: ATV - Stutter or stoping during playback Reply with quote

gconrads wrote:
Also, the apple TV hates weak drum solos and is a bit of a movie snob, so you might try watching some respectable movies and avoiding self indulgent music videos featuring artists that just fill time with excessive drum solos. If you have to watch a drum solo try warming up with some Rush. My Apple TV has a soft spot for Rush and generally get's in the "mood" after that..

There's no way the Apple TV keeps up with Neil Peart. Not even at 1kbps. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: