123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook Family
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Din

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadDog 40 wrote:
or_astroman wrote:
The older MBPs are looking more attractive(pricewise) to me now. Unfortunatley, I still can't afford them.

Amazon is selling the old MacBook Pro for like $1500. In fact, I almost pulled the trigger on one this afternoon. I just can't make up my mind. Neutral

Was waiting for a new MB, but the lack of Firewire killed them as an option for me.

So I bought the top model black one out of the refurb section for $1099 Tuesday night. If I had wanted to go a little higher, they had MBP with 200GB HDD for $1349. There are plenty of good deals on these machines for those who insist on FW.

And I actually like the new models, and can afford one no problem. This was very plainly an attempt to upsell people to the pro model. It is not the same as moving on from legacy ports, that and if you look at the latest story at AppleInsider, there was literally no more room at the edge of the motherboard for a FW port, without increasing its size.

For me though, I absolutely wanted the 13" form factor, and USB2 is crap for external hard drives, and they did not add the eSATA port that might have at least replaced that FW functionality. So the machine I wanted, which would basically be a 13" MBP, is not available in the new lineup. SO I miss out on the new trackpad fun for now.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I got myself a refurb Blackbok a few months back knowing that new models would soon be available. With the rumors going around about what the new models would be, I decided to get the Blackbook instead of waiting. I am so glad I did now. I haven't seen the new ones in person, though I'm sure they're nice, I like my 'old' MacBook just fine.

I think they should have kept both (black and white) MacBooks, lowered the price on them, used them as their entry level notebook, and then added the new MB and MBP.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would have been smart for Apple to keep the black MacBook around. Then sell the white for $899 with a Combo drive and the black at $999 with a Superdrive and slightly better specs. I think that would have excited more people about the low-end. Plus, the black MacBook seemed very popular. I know at least four people at work with one.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Macbook rocks!! It looks like a chubby MacBook Air Very Happy
...although it lost some weight
ddcmvt710

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys but the black plastic keyboard makes it look cheap. Reminds me of the old G4 titanium.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddcmvt710 wrote:
I don't know about you guys but the black plastic keyboard makes it look cheap. Reminds me of the old G4 titanium.

I'm not a big fan of the chiclet-style keys, but I don't mind the black coloring.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
ddcmvt710 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of the chiclet-style keys, but I don't mind the black coloring.

I played around with it at Microcenter. I don;t mind the keyboard that much, it's the black frame I have to get used too, and how glare prone it is.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I played around with it at Microcenter. I don;t mind the keyboard that much, it's the black frame I have to get used too, and how glare prone it is.

I haven't seen one in person, but that frame looks extremely glossy in pictures. And of course, there's no backlight behind it to help. I think either Engadget or Gizmodo (forget which one) said something about this in their review of the new MacBooks. Basically on the lines of it being horribly distracting.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be method in Apple's madness when it comes to getting rid of FW ports on the new MacBooks.

According to independent tests, Apple have managed to create USB connections that are almost as fast as FW400: http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/233751
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to seeing the MacBook last night; they now have the 2.0 model in my local Future Shop. I don't like glossy screens, but the glare was not as bad as I expected and it wouldn't in itself stop me from buying one. However, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the image on the MacBook, and you could easily see the difference against the MacBook Air (older version) sitting next to it. I was even less impressed by the weight of it - it might be 0.5 lb off the older MacBook but it still feels heavy. Seeing it live took the thought of upgrade out of my mind, at least for now. I'll stick with my PowerBook G4 / MSI Wind combo for the uses I make of a portable. If I were to upgrade, I'd either look at the previous MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air.
Din

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
There might be method in Apple's madness when it comes to getting rid of FW ports on the new MacBooks.

According to independent tests, Apple have managed to create USB connections that are almost as fast as FW400: http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/233751

That somewhat addresses the issue for FW HDD users, which will often have both interfaces, but it doesn't even touch the issue many have, namely other accessories like video cameras, music/MIDI interfaces and such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: