123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC2-6400 (800MHz) ram & iMac 2.4 (800MHz frontside bus)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacusMinimus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: PC2-6400 (800MHz) ram & iMac 2.4 (800MHz frontside bus) Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an iMac al 2.4 with 800 of frontside bus. Currently I use the pc2-5300 667 ram sticks (2G + 2G).
Does anyone know if the pc2-6400 ram works with my iMac?
(Sorry if the question is Shocked )
If it works, is it worth it?

Thanks.
iPhone 3G (8GB) Black
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

Well it could work, since normally you can always go higher bus speed, just never want to go lower, however the ports are only able to go 667MHz FSB so unless you can overclock them (and potentially ruin them) so there is not gain from it.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to the question "MacusMinimus" - I just wanted to say that your username is the coolest thing I've seen in a long while... Cool
tiguy99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PC2-6400 (800MHz) ram & iMac 2.4 (800MHz frontside b Reply with quote

MacusMinimus wrote:
Hi,

I have an iMac al 2.4 with 800 of frontside bus. Currently I use the pc2-5300 667 ram sticks (2G + 2G).
Does anyone know if the pc2-6400 ram works with my iMac?
(Sorry if the question is Shocked )
If it works, is it worth it?

Thanks.

The best way to tell if the ram will work is to go to Apple's site or any Mac memory upgrade site (google is your best resource) and look up how many pins are on your memory module. Then just make sure the new one you end up buying has the same #of pins and is DDR2 RAM.

I'm not familiar with the iMac memory modules but the rule is, the same type of RAM with the same # of pins should work as long as its DDR2. If speed of your memory is key, I'd research the CAS memory timings for the brand RAM you want to buy vs. Another PC5300 chip.

For example, while I was upgrading my mini this week, I too sought put PC6400 DDR2 SODIMMs and narrowed it down to 2 brands that had the fastest timings I could find in my config.

I ended up with the Kingston Hyper X DDR2 PC5300 RAM because it had faster timings and a lower CAS latency (lower this # the faster the memory will perform)

I have a guide that explains all this. I'll have to look for it online. It'll make this more clear to you. Oh yeah, stay away from Value memory. They tend to have slower timing speeds and hence don't give you the performance of the faster timed RAM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: