123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new ATV install ... or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albireo13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: new ATV install ... or not? Reply with quote

I have Comcast cable (TV and internet) with digital tv service and a DVR cable box. I also have 3 general purpose computers in the house ... a pc, iMac, and a macmini ... all networked with wireless-G.

I'm not a sophisticated media guy but the ATV intruiges me. A few questions ...
What is ATV Flash??
Do I need another pc or Mac running to download movies, or stream shows, with the ATV? Given I have a wireless router anyway, it would be nice if the ATV can network without having a computer running.

Thanks,
Rob
Grover Time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: new ATV install ... or not? Reply with quote

albireo13 wrote:
What is ATV Flash??

aTV Flash basically adds a bunch of new functionality and software to your Apple TV. You install it from a flash drive and it adds the ability to:

Quote:
- Play most video formats (DivX, Xvid, AVI, WMV, RMVB + more)
- Play DVD files WITHOUT converting them (includes DVD menu support)
- Surf the web with a Safari based web browser
- Create video playlists with loop and shuffle support
- Easily enable external USB hard drive storage
- Enable FTP, SFTP and SSH access
- Install other Mac OSX applications like Firefox, and EyeTV
- Restore synced media from Apple TV in the event of a hard drive failure
- All original Apple TV features remain intact

albireo13 wrote:
Do I need another pc or Mac running to download movies, or stream shows, with the ATV?

A computer running iTunes needs to be on for streaming, but not for content that's been synced to your Apple TV. It just plays off the Apple TV like a computer or iPod. You can also buy content directly from iTunes on your Apple TV without a computer, as well as stream podcasts and watch Youtube stuff. It's actually pretty neat.
albireo13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: new ATV install ... or not? Reply with quote

So ... I can download movies and subscribe to shows directly with ATV, not needing another computer involved? That's what I want to do.

Another question ... Is there something that ATV gives me that I don't already have with digital HD Comcast service with DVR?

Thanks,
Rob

Grover Time wrote:
albireo13 wrote:
What is ATV Flash??

aTV Flash basically adds a bunch of new functionality and software to your Apple TV. You install it from a flash drive and it adds the ability to:

Quote:
- Play most video formats (DivX, Xvid, AVI, WMV, RMVB + more)
- Play DVD files WITHOUT converting them (includes DVD menu support)
- Surf the web with a Safari based web browser
- Create video playlists with loop and shuffle support
- Easily enable external USB hard drive storage
- Enable FTP, SFTP and SSH access
- Install other Mac OSX applications like Firefox, and EyeTV
- Restore synced media from Apple TV in the event of a hard drive failure
- All original Apple TV features remain intact

albireo13 wrote:
Do I need another pc or Mac running to download movies, or stream shows, with the ATV?

A computer running iTunes needs to be on for streaming, but not for content that's been synced to your Apple TV. It just plays off the Apple TV like a computer or iPod. You can also buy content directly from iTunes on your Apple TV without a computer, as well as stream podcasts and watch Youtube stuff. It's actually pretty neat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: