123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Upgraded to T7400 2.16 Core 2 Duo = FASTTTTTT!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiguy99

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Upgraded to T7400 2.16 Core 2 Duo = FASTTTTTT!!! Reply with quote

So I just upgraded my processor to the T7400 Core 2 Duo processor purchased on Ebay here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220293377977&_trksid=p2761.l1259

I took pics of the process and the processors since I swapped out the old Core Solo 1.5Ghz Intel unit.

Let me tell you...this machine is smoking fast and just as quiet too

Total price I paid was 150 shipped to the US. Bought it last weekend just got it today (came from Hong Kong....and was shipped via EMS speedpost 2-4 business day shipping)

I'll have pics and more documentation a little later on today.

Time to leave the seller some good feedback. Did I mention that my mini is just as quiet as before?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Upgraded to T7400 2.16 Core 2 Duo = FASTTTTTT!! Reply with quote

I did a similar upgrade to a 1.5Ghz Core Solo mini at the end of last year (with a 2.0Ghz C2D upgrade).

It's nice to be able to bring an old Intel mini "up to speed"...but at the same time, it speaks to just how neglected this line of Mac's has been (not having seen a significant change since the original Intel transition).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiguy99

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Upgraded to T7400 2.16 Core 2 Duo = FASTTTTTT!! Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I did a similar upgrade to a 1.5Ghz Core Solo mini at the end of last year (with a 2.0Ghz C2D upgrade).

It's nice to be able to bring an old Intel mini "up to speed"...but at the same time, it speaks to just how neglected this line of Mac's has been (not having seen a significant change since the original Intel transition).

iMav, how hard was it for you to do your processor swap? Did you use any guides online or did you wing it??

For me, I've recently got acclimated to the Mac world a month or so ago when I got my hands on a G4 mini as an anniversary gift for my girlfriend...a couple upgrades and a fresh install of leopard later I was hooked.

So I had to go out and get a system for myself. Anyhow, I've been building PCs for years and have been tinkering around with desktops since the mid 90s and I'm well versed with all kinds of electronics so it wasn't hard per se.

I would highly recommend a new novice take time to read some of the guides on the web. They can be found @ ifixit as well as a few other sites by simply googling the term mac mini memory swap...

I'll let the pics do the talking re: my installation.

New chip

Old chip

Both Intel Processors on their back

The Intel Mac Mini uber expensive logic board (don’t worry my leg and the chair cushion are there to break the short fall

A look at the chips side up

Close up of the Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 Merom processor mounted in the socket (479M) Still can't belive I only paid 150.00 for this thing shipped to my door in a few days!!!

Free Plug in for Kingston Hyper X Performance RAM ( I paid 50 shipped for this stuff off Newegg…best 50.00 I spent in a long time. There is no faster 2GB Kit of DDR2 memory you can buy for your Mini if you crave speed and performance...get this stuff if you want the speed boost!!!)

Proof is in the pudding

Verdict, I paid 385 for the system a week ago... followed by 150.00 for the T7400 Merom processor upgrade, 90.00 for the hard drive via new egg, and another 50.00 for the RAM

Thats a total of 675.00 for a new Mac Mini that's faster than the 799.99 unit Apple sells @ the store! Bottom line=FAST. I have yet to slow this thing down. I wanted to build the ultimate mini computer to run my home theatre needs and I think I'm well on my way to exceeding my expectations.

Do I recommend this upgrade/setup...YES! My system is about 60-70% faster and HOLY CRAP the boot time is under 20 seconds!

Take the time to research the everything and proceed at a decent pace. The goal is to do it right the first time and move on to the next step/upgrade etc!

Can't wait for my Elgato Hybrid TV tuner ((arrives Monday)) I'll have a write up for that too Smile

Any questions...feel free to ask

-Mike

Last edited by tiguy99 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I suggest ditching the nylon posts (regardless of whether you break one or not...the procedure will, at the very least, compromise their structural integrity not matter how careful you are)...and getting #4-40 3/4" metal bolts and nuts.

You'll end up with a much more secure heatsink with no chance of one of those nylon posts popping off later on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tiguy99

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
BTW, I suggest ditching the nylon posts (regardless of whether you break one or not...the procedure will, at the very least, compromise their structural integrity not matter how careful you are)...and getting #4-40 3/4" metal bolts and nuts.

You'll end up with a much more secure heatsink with no chance of one of those nylon posts popping off later on.

Good stuff! Too bad I put it back together hours ago. I didn't break any tabs since I used a combination of tweezers and an eyeglass flathead screwdiver to push the edges towards the holes. I went REALLY slow on that part. Took me about 15 mins but I got all 4 of em.

I doubt I'll crack the system back open again for a while (( unless I get my hands on a T7600 2.33Ghz Merom cheap! ))

And just in case everyone's wondering, yes its true! I did use a pizza cutter and a Putty knife to open my mini! Its a "homegrown" way to do it but guess what, no scratches and boy was it easy too! Patience is the word gang! Patience!!!!!!
heywire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, do you notice the mini getting hotter, or the fan running louder since the upgrade?
-
tiguy99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heywire wrote:
I'm curious, do you notice the mini getting hotter, or the fan running louder since the upgrade?

Nope! The system is just as cool and the fan is just as quiet as before. I didn't get a chance to d/l a thermostat app before I swapped CPUs but I did install one last night before bed.

The CPU is hovering around 50 degrees C give or take a degree and the MB internal temp is right around 46 degrees C again give or take one degree or two at the most.

They never seem to go put of that range no matter what apps I'm running or how many of them I run at once.

This thing just chews through whatever I throw at it like its nothing without slowing down or over heating. I even left my mini with a feq apps running over night to see if anything changed with the temps... Nothing changed
tiguy99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked again...the latest readings are 48C /54C (MB/CPU)

However, the outer Mac Mini Case is cool to the touch, and the fan is the same speed/quietness as the 1.5Ghz Core Solo.

I've been running my Mini for a couple hours now, streaming media etc...again the readings stand.

No notice or increase in fan speed. I have 5 apps running right now and am about to burn some DVDs with Toast 9. I love this lil thing Smile
gertrude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. I will start this conversion today. I have a 1.66 core duo.

THe EyeTV system is just great. I have been using mine for a year now. The core duo just keeps up with HD QAM., with skipping once in a while.
tiguy99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gertrude wrote:
Thanks for the post. I will start this conversion today. I have a 1.66 core duo.

THe EyeTV system is just great. I have been using mine for a year now. The core duo just keeps up with HD QAM., with skipping once in a while.

Sounds awesome! One of my good friends from college's middle name is Gertrude. Hey what processor do you plan to install in your mini and how much RAM do you have now? Upgrading RAM first seems to be a logical progression so you can see how it performs in intervals.

Either way, the processor upgrade will dramatically speed things up plus adding more RAM overall makes things better and more efficient

Also, what is QAM and how does it work with your TV tuner?
spazzium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Confused on Sockets Reply with quote

Sorry if this is bumping too old of a thread.

I've been working on computers since 95 but coming up with concrete details on upgrading my mac mini has been difficult. Help me sort this out.

First I found this wonderful post here confirming that Pentium M is the right socket type for the mac mini here.
As well as the wikipedia entry to back it up here.
However above me tiguy successfully upgraded his mini with a processor model of SL9SK, which according to the wiki and the above linked post is the wrong socket type. To further belay my confusion, this wiki entry here confirms that 479 and M are not pin compatible.
HELP ME!
All the processors I find on ebay seem to be 479 socket type. Will these work? Confused
gts116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His SL9SK (Ball Grid Array) came from eBay and probably had pins soldered to the bottom so that it would fit in place of a SL9SE (Pin Grid Array). I don't know if I would trust that kind of setup, but it seemed to work for him.
spazzium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gts116 wrote:
His SL9SK (Ball Grid Array) came from eBay and probably had pins soldered to the bottom so that it would fit in place of a SL9SE (Pin Grid Array). I don't know if I would trust that kind of setup, but it seemed to work for him.

Wait. Does that mean someone went to the work of soldering it? Or there's just an adapter plate soldered to the base?

Edit: Additionally this seller here is selling SK's that shows a pin array pictured as opposed to a ball grid array. Just what is going on here!

Last edited by spazzium on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
gts116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how its done, but I know that it is somehow accomplished. Sorry I'm not more help.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it had pins soldered to it. Most likely a rework machine was used.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: