123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook Family
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me open-minded about the macbooks, but initially disappointed. It was looking for something more lightweight; this model only shaves 1/2 pound off the old one. While the faster bus and video card is nice, the base speed of 2.0 ghz is going backward. And no option for matte screens doesn't thrill me either. The new trackpad looks useful. But the overall design does look more PC-like.

I would like to see one in person; maybe I'll change my mind. Meanwhile, I'll continue to hold on to my G4 PowerBook and no be sorry for buying a non-Mac netbook (MSI Wind).
or_astroman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a positve side, have you seen the new prices on the refurbished MB and MBP's? If you want the matte screen, now is the time to snap one up. You'll have to "make do" with the 8600 GT though Wink

Veteran 1.5Ghz PowerPC(Stock)
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Count me open-minded about the macbooks, but initially disappointed. It was looking for something more lightweight; this model only shaves 1/2 pound off the old one. While the faster bus and video card is nice, the base speed of 2.0 ghz is going backward. And no option for matte screens doesn't thrill me either. The new trackpad looks useful. But the overall design does look more PC-like.

I would like to see one in person; maybe I'll change my mind. Meanwhile, I'll continue to hold on to my G4 PowerBook and no be sorry for buying a non-Mac netbook (MSI Wind).

Backwards but the FSB bump makes up for it handily. I'm more disappointed by the lack of firewire.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or_astroman, your question highlights my Apple dilemma. I did notice the refurb prices, and it is tempting to get a 2.4 ghz refurb MacBook Pro for about $1450 CAN. There is no question in my mind that it would be worth the money, but I'm not sure it's a good expenditure for what I want. It would buy me a Mac laptop faster than my existing PowerBook and give me a bigger, faster drive, the nice mag-safe connector and a webcam, but none of these features matter much to me the way I use a laptop (mainly for basic computer functions when traveling and email/web when lying around). What does matter to me are the size, weight and form factor, but these would be the same as my PowerBook G4/1.33.

In contrast, the new MacBook, for $100 less, would also give me a faster machine than my G4, a larger drive and better trackpad, and most of all, a smaller computer that weighs 1 1/4 lb less. I would have to trade off a larger display, which I think I'm willing to do, but also I would have to accept a glossy display, which I'm not so happy about. Furthermore, this computer still weighs 4 1/2 lb, and I'm not sure the weight is different enough that it would entice me to take it anywhere all the time.

It's good to know I have choices, but the choices are more limited than I would like. That's what drove me to buy a netbook, the first non-Apple laptop I have owned in 20 years. I run Linux on it to avoid Windows, and I quite like the light weight and convenience. I use it a lot at home. Ideally, I would have something slightly larger and heavier, and then sell both the PowerBook and netbook. I'll have to see and feel this new MacBook in person before deciding whether it would meet my needs.
or_astroman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox,

There are some out there who are running OSX 10.5.5 on the Wind. It may or may not be something your interested in but it could be worth looking into.

The older MBPs are looking more attractive(pricewise) to me now. Unfortunatley, I still can't afford them.

Veteran 1.5Ghz PowerPC(Stock)
MadDog 40

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or_astroman wrote:
The older MBPs are looking more attractive(pricewise) to me now. Unfortunatley, I still can't afford them.

Amazon is selling the old MacBook Pro for like $1500. In fact, I almost pulled the trigger on one this afternoon. I just can't make up my mind. Neutral
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or_astroman wrote:
Fox,

There are some out there who are running OSX 10.5.5 on the Wind. It may or may not be something your interested in but it could be worth looking into.

I know it can be done and I'm sure I could install MacOSX on the Wind if I really wanted to. But for what I use the Wind for (email, web browsing, u-tubing, listening to music and reading documents), Linux is at least as good as MacOSX and maybe better. Also, I decided that if I was going to buy a non-Apple machine, I was going to experiment with 100% Linux on that machine. For those uses, I don't miss MacOSX at all.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one of the new 2.0 MacBooks yesterday. I really like the aluminum case. It's super thin and really sturdy. That being said, the edges going around the case felt sharp to me. That may bother some people. I also like the new touchpad, but it felt a little strange clicking the entire thing down. I like how you can set it up for right clicks though. But to be honest, I'd rather have a regular touchpad with two buttons and the ability to do this multi-touch stuff. Now onto that glossy glassy screen, and this is where Apple completely looses me when it comes to the new MacBook. It has the shiniest computer screen you will ever see. The old MacBook screens look like anti-glare in comparison. I don't know how you could use one of these outside or in bright room. The reflections would just drive me bonkers. If Apple got rid of that stupid thing, I'd probably buy one tomorrow. I don't have much else to add, but that's the story as far as I'm concerned. Everything is killer except for the screen. Well, it would also be nice to have firewire, but I guess that's another story.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Glossy = Deal Breaker Reply with quote

The glossy screen is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to constantly try to stare through my reflection to see what I am working on. Hopefully, Apple will wise up and offer a matte option.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or_astroman wrote:

I'd hate to use the OS X gui on anything smaller than, say, 1024x768. Linux can be much more optimized for the vertical desktop limitations of the standard netbook screens.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Glossy = Deal Breaker Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
The glossy screen is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to constantly try to stare through my reflection to see what I am working on. Hopefully, Apple will wise up and offer a matte option.

I've owned a 1st gen Macbook, a last gen Blackbook, a 15" MBP with glossy display, and now the new "glassbook". I have to say that I really PREFER the glossy display. The Apple store lighting is really the ONLY environment I've ever encountered where the reflection was an issue. I don't see anything but a bright, beautiful display when looking at my Macbook.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:

Definitely go see one in person. These new MacBooks (and MBP's) are truly a work of art. I LOVE the look of them (and I am someone who HATED the look of the MacBook Air).

They are incredibly solid, unbelievably cool-running (not only do I have to quiet the room and put my ear next to the MacBook to hear fan noise, it is noticeably cooler to the touch (than any of my previous four Apple laptops (12" iBook, Macbook, blackbook, MBP)).

I get over double the battery life compared to my Acer Aspire netbook as well. Smile

(OOPS. sorry about the triple post...should've consolidated those)
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav, you're the first to have made reference to cool-running and I was wondering about that. Now that you have a new MacBook, what will you use the Acer for?

Sitting my G4 PowerBook on my lap gets uncomfortable after awhile; the MSI Wind is much cooler and lighter. I don't think we'll see the new MacBook in Peterborough anytime soon so I'll have to find an excuse to go to Toronto and see them in the Apple store.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Glossy = Deal Breaker Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

Hear, hear!

I dread the day I need another. Crying or Very sad
The Ruckus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new 2.4GHz MB at the Apple Store yesterday, but I'm pretty much set on returning it on Monday. The glossy screen is really annoying me, even indoors. It's not horrible when the screen has a bunch of light colors on it, but when the colors turn dark it's like looking in a mirror. I see no way that a graphic professional or photographer could use these things out in the field. It's a shame because the rest of the product is really nice. So I echo the request for a matte version of the MBP. It might be my only hope Obi-Wan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: