123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display Reply with quote

Apple Unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Apple today unveiled the LED Cinema Display featuring a 24-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with built-in iSight video camera, mic and speakers in an elegant, thin aluminum and glass enclosure. The LED Cinema Display includes an integrated MagSafe charger, three USB 2.0 ports and the new Mini DisplayPort, making it easy for MacBook users to quickly connect and power their notebooks as well as use their favorite peripherals.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1053.html
Fazzy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me like, but not the sticker price.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice looking display, but I they should've added a DVI connector on there. Even though they are marketing this towards MacBook users for now. They probably could have done better with the pricing too. You can buy two nice Dell 24-inchers for almost the same amount of money. Granted the panels won't be anywhere as nice, but I'm just saying.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Even though they are marketing this towards MacBook users for now.

It's pretty much all that Apple can market this monitor towards being these are the only products that currently support it.

Sorry to be repetitive (posted in another thread).

Why would these monitors have an iSight camera if they weren't geared toward the desktops? Seems a little redundant to have camera built into the monitor. Surely future desktops will support this monitor.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Why would these monitors have an iSight camera if they weren't geared toward the desktops? Seems a little redundant to have camera built into the monitor. Surely future desktops will support this monitor.

You would need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter or cable. Apple would be crazy not having this compatible with the iMac. Having a dual setup with a glossy and matte display always seemed a bit wacky to me. So for the iMac, you switch out Mini DVI for Mini DisplayPort. That shouldn't be hard for Apple to do. They could also put a Magsafe power connection and Mini DisplayPort on the next Mac mini. Then just include an adapter in the box for other DVI displays and a regular power supply. I mean if you're not connected to this display for power. Just throwing some stuff out there, but you get the point.

Last edited by Ben Tex on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy that my 20" Cinema isn't obsolete yet. Or even worse, replaced with a glossy model.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm just happy that my 20" Cinema isn't obsolete yet. Or even worse, replaced with a glossy model.

I have a 20" ACD as well. I like it. I don't think I have every bought an electronic product that held its retail value for so long Smile

People can argue that they are overpriced etc. Let them buy Dells. Smile but I have been 100% pleased with my ACD. One of the best products I have ever bought. I'd have no hesitation buying a new one if I had the want/need.
MadDog 40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks really hot. The all-in-one cable for power, USB and display is pretty clever too. I just wish that I could afford one on top of a new MB. Sad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So riddle me this fellas:

Can you buy a 24"display that is LED Backlit and a USB Hub, Macbook AC Power Adapter, 2.1 speaker system, Web Cam and Microphone for $899? All the while being of Apple's quality, fit & finish as well as being as compatible?

I think not.

$899 is a steal.... I wanna buy 2 of em'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MadDog 40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Can you buy a 24"display that is LED Backlit.

Is there even another 24" LED display on the market? I honestly don't know.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up with the 14 ms response time? I know people swear by Apple's displays, but the numbers don't seem very impressive. There must be a lot more to the quality than the specs. That sure is one sweet looking monitor, regardless. I especially like the all-in-one cable!
Jeffy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The all-in-one cable with MagSafe is a really cool idea. It's like Apple's simplistic version of the docking station.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffy wrote:
The all-in-one cable with MagSafe is a really cool idea. It's like Apple's simplistic version of the docking station.

I was sort of wondering why it wasn't made into some sort of 3 port dock type thing with one connection. In the design of the new products perhaps its possible that they could have place those three port side by side. Connecting 3 things over and over doesn't seem very Apple like.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Jeffy wrote:

I was sort of wondering why it wasn't made into some sort of 3 port dock type thing with one connection. In the design of the new products perhaps its possible that they could have place those three port side by side. Connecting 3 things over and over doesn't seem very Apple like.

This is completely a guess so don't hand me my ass after stating it:

The display is meant to be used with all the new notebooks i.e. Macbook, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro. Now, I noticed ole' Jobsy say the new video connector would be used on ALL new products. This would allow the display to also be used with up coming iMacs, MacMini's and possible MacPro's....

So, to have a 3 into 1 connector or Dock would be a bit more challenging than having what they've come up with....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeffy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I wouldn't mind the three individual cables, but that sounds like an interesting idea. As long as larger dock doesn't block off your other ports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: