123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Holding Notebook Event on October 14th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
OGN wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm more inclined with thinking that there won't be variations between the video chip sets in the the MacBook product line.

Agreed. It also cuts down on manufacturing costs and makes it easier on Apple repair centers. They just need to make and stock the one board.

Agreed. It also makes it easier on consumers. Apple tends to streamline choices in consumer level products.

It can be argued that the iMac offers various video choices. Point taken. It can be also be argued the the iMac isn't "entirely" geared at consumers, while the mini and the MacBooks are. The iMac tends to be the middle ground in the desktop environment.

Agreed, but does the iMac use an integrated GPU or something modular?

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Agreed, but does the iMac use an integrated GPU or something modular?

I'm pretty sure the GPUs for the 20" iMac are integrated on the motherboard, but I read something about the 24" models having separate MXM cards. I don't really know for sure though.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, is anyone else excited? 2 more days! I wonder how long after they announce the new "Notebooks" will they actually be available? My wife thinks she remembers the MacBook Pros taking 3 weeks after the announcement. I hope its not that long this time. Sad
Jeffy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am VERY excited to see them opensky. I think they will all be available the same day. Apple has a lot of time to prepare for this announcement. I'm just so happy that Apple appears to be dumping the MacBook's plastic palmrest. Those sharp plastic edges were a killer. Now, if they could only do something about the glossy screen and crappy speakers. Those are two more of the little reasons why I upgraded to the MacBook Pro.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably more curious than excited. Beyond the new aluminum cases and GPUs, I haven't heard anything about the new MacBooks that I would consider to be a real breakthrough. But there's always a chance for that "One more thing..." product. A little 8"-10" touchscreen netbook or tablet type device would be really exciting to see. I would also like to hear some more about Snow Leopard. That would be cool.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taos wrote:
A cheap macbook running in lid closed mode might just be the rumoured new Mac Mini we have been waiting for!!! Confused

If it is I hope it has HDMI output.

What I really want to see is a bigger MacBook hard drive though.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
But there's always a chance for that "One more thing..." product.

We could use a good "one more thing" announcement. I can't even remember the last one. I'm definitely not counting the Safari for Windows announcement. Rolling Eyes

ESUNintel wrote:

Based on the leaked case pictures, I find that unlikely. It looks like they are sticking with mini-DVI.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffy wrote:
scooper wrote:
But there's always a chance for that "One more thing..." product.

We could use a good "one more thing" announcement. I can't even remember the last one. I'm definitely not counting the Safari for Windows announcement. Rolling Eyes

ESUNintel wrote:

Based on the leaked case pictures, I find that unlikely. It looks like they are sticking with mini-DVI.

It sure does look like mini-DVI. More square than long.
Hopefully there is also HDMI port somewhere. You can buy a $500 PC laptop with HDMI, so I hope Apple gets with it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Hopefully there is also HDMI port somewhere. You can buy a $500 PC laptop with HDMI, so I hope Apple gets with it.

This could also be a clue to where the next Cinema displays are heading.
bub9001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Closed Lid Reply with quote

I hope that the $800 MacBook with Closed Lid option. I think I will pass on it if it doesn't have a new updated on board GPU. I can build a really fast PC for that amount. And I can always run it as a Dual boot Hackintosh too.

The fact of the matter is if the $800 MacBook will replace the Mac Mini, I believe it will or at least we will see a bump in spec's on the Mac Mini. But I don't think that will happen tomorrow. But Apple usually has a few surprises up its sleeve, I just hope it's a new Mac Mini with a Dedicated Video card.

No more waiting, it's time to step up or sit back down.
You know the rest, no need to post.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I think the stock market went up 900+ points today in anticipation of the new MacBooks. They must be the heartbeat of our economy. Wink
iLife's a Bitch!
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a picture of the new MacBook Pro on Engadget. It's going glossy wth a glass screen like the iMac. Noooooooo! Crying or Very sad
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
Just saw a picture of the new MacBook Pro on Engadget. It's going glossy wth a glass screen like the iMac. Noooooooo! Crying or Very sad

Sorry, but that is just ridiculous. It doesn't even look like they could have a matte option with that design. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Assuming the picture is legitimate.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate commenting on rumors, but I would be very surprised to see Apple switch away from matte displays on the MacBook Pro. That would be a seismic shift in thinking. Not to mention a real disappointment to the Photoshop users I know.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I hate commenting on rumors, but I would be very surprised to see Apple switch away from matte displays on the MacBook Pro. That would be a seismic shift in thinking. Not to mention a real disappointment to the Photoshop users I know.

Yeah but, dual GPU's could certainly offset the glossy screen.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: