123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Releases EyeTV 3.0.4 Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Elgato Releases EyeTV 3.0.4 Update Reply with quote

Elgato Releases EyeTV 3.0.4 Update
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Elgato has announced the release of EyeTV 3.0.4, an update to their TV viewing and recording software for Mac OS X. The EyeTV 3.0.4 update features a redesigned Editor with many usability improvements, a redesigned Auto Tune dialog with an additional Update Scan feature that adds channels without removing existing channels, and support for the Pinnacle 80e and Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T XS FM USB stick tuners.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1048.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably missing something, but I don't see much of a difference between the old Editor and the new one. I sure like having it to cut commercials though.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I'm probably missing something, but I don't see much of a difference between the old Editor and the new one. I sure like having it to cut commercials though.

At first glance, it looks like they moved the timeline down and spaced everything out. It was over the bottom of the video before. Not sure what else, but I like this new layout much better.
myminirocks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really starting to look for alternatives to EyeTv. It is not really as polished as they make out.

Since Day 1 I have not had a day when something doesn't work properly.

I am glad they moved the editor because it was a bit of an oversight to have it overlaying the video previously but what about the fact that when watching the beginning of a recording before it finishes almost certainly crashes/freezes the program once it hits the end of the recording?

What about the flakey as hell reception fluctuations?

What about the dismal dual tuner support (Diversity) having 8 keystrokes just to switch from one tuner to the other?

What about the way it always defults to record on the front most window from schedules meaning you have to get out the keyboard/mouse to change to the other window so you can record one thing while watching something else?

What about the dumping of the buffer once a recording is finished?

These are all advertised features on the box but barely work.

I have been waiting and waiting for this program to become what it is supposed to be but it is taking a very very long time.

IMO this is probably the biggest hole in mac software, meanwhile all our 'friends' on windose have a plethora of choice.

Anyone recommend a decent alternative? SageTv?
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myminirocks wrote:
Anyone recommend a decent alternative? SageTv?

Hackers recently mentioned the ATI HD 650 for Mac. Don't know if he got one, but it comes with the tvPORTAL software. This could be a breakaway from EyeTV if you're really looking for one. That being said, I haven't seen many reviews for it (only one on Newegg to be exact), and that person said the software feels like beta.
myminirocks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm, looks interesting, I know the site is just promo stuff so of course it will look good but at least it is another alternative. More alternative will at least keep Elgato on their toes Laughing

You out there Hackers? did you get one? Let us know.....
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
Sirolway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, myminirocks has a heap of issues!
It sounds like I use my eyeTV Diversity differently, in that I rarely watch live TV on it & generally just record & export programmes for watching on my way to work, but I've not experienced any of these issues.

I moved to Mac precisely because I was having such grief trying to record tv on PC. Sure there are a bunch of options (I tried terratec, Leadtech & Hauppauge, mostly) but there's issues with all of them & all the software either requires a lot of setting up (Myth) or records in a proprietary format (Win Media Center) & stopped working altogether when Vista SP1 came out. And don't get me started on drivers. I got so fed up with fixing things on Vista that I bought the mini & Diversity (& turbo) & haven't looked back.

The only issue I hit with elgato is that hte ocassional programme errors when I try to export it. They export fine when the turbo is removed, so I can live with that.

Oh, and I need more disk space - that's a whole other issue Wink

So I'm a BIG elgato fan - they're superb.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Problems with exports to Apple TV that repeated multiple frames have been resolved.

I've noticed this many times. It's one of the reasons why I started to use HandBrake for my EyeTV conversions. So hopefully it works right now. That being said, I'll probably continue to use HandBrake. It does an excellent job, offers more control over the output, and seems to rip faster.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still bummed out about buying a EyeTV 250 before the digital 250 Plus came out. Does that count for being disappointed with Elgato? Wink

I think Elgato does a nice job. EyeTV 3 has seen some nice little improvements over the last year, at least when it comes to the user interface. I also think their hardware is better than ever. I'm not totally familiar with everything in the Windows world, but I don't see anything really great coming out of Pinnacle or Hauppauge for example. I'm talking software or hardware. Then again, I'm not familiar how they tie into WMC - that may be the key. Heck, we can't even get good integration into Front Row.

Sirolway wrote:
The only issue I hit with elgato is that hte ocassional programme errors when I try to export it. They export fine when the turbo is removed, so I can live with that.

Dang, that's a bummer. I have been thinking about buying one to speed up exports to iTunes for my iPhone and Apple TV.

Sirolway wrote:
Oh, and I need more disk space - that's a whole other issue

I'm ok that way for now, but I hear you.
iLife's a Bitch!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, missed this thread somehow Embarassed

Anyway, I'm still in the "window shopping" stage of buying a new TV tuner. I am leaning towards the "other" option rather than getting a new Elgato piece. If for no other reason, to try something new and different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
macfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like to see a blind scan option, diseqc 1.2 control for motorised dish set up's and 4.2.2 decoding for the feeds on 7 west etc, am I asking too much ?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: