123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECC REG Ram....will it work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sscott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: ECC REG Ram....will it work? Reply with quote

I've done a little searching and I've still yet to find a solid answer. I came across a nice deal on a 1GB PC2700 DDR 333Mhz ECC REG. My question, will ECC REG ram work in a mini?

Thanks, Scott
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the proper RAM. Given that you have not purchased the RAM yet.

If you want a technical answer I recommend you contact a memory manufacturer or do some technical research on RAM.

Honestly, you are wasting your time. Work an extra hour at work and get the memory that will not ruin your machine and cause you grief.

Newegg.com always seems to have good prices.
sscott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along these lines but I just wanted a little confirmation that it might not be good. Thanks for the input.

-Scott
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bandit Bill. ECC might work but it's not worth the hassle when there are other good deals out there. I think Xserve is the only Apple prodcut that supports ECC. How much did this ECC stick cost?
sscott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
How much did this ECC stick cost?
$70 bucks for a GIG...thats what had me thinking Very Happy But alas I'll pass on that one.
ahh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECC RAM is error correcting ram. You can use ECC in a non-ECC system but typically you can't use non-ECC in an ECC expecting system, without BIOS modifications. You mini will use the ECC ram fine. Check here for more answers.

If you can get this ram cheaper than non-ECC ram, by all means, get it. Hope this helps.[/url]
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh wrote:
ECC RAM is error correcting ram. You can use ECC in a non-ECC system but typically you can't use non-ECC in an ECC expecting system, without BIOS modifications. You mini will use the ECC ram fine. Check here for more answers.

If you can get this ram cheaper than non-ECC ram, by all means, get it. Hope this helps.[/url]

This may all be true, but I still recommend sticking with what is recommended. It's not worth a small cost savings, to put yourself in a league of your own.

The nice thing about owning an Apple computer is standardization.

If you put ECC memory in your machine, everytime it crashes you will have to ask yourslef. Was it because of the memory?

Do what you feel is best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: