123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu Netbook Remix Reply with quote

I put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my MSI Wind and am using it right now. I'm happy to report that it won't mess up a regular Ubuntu installation as long as you follow directions and don't install the one file on Launchpad that it tells you not to (Ume-config-netbook). [Update: ume-config-netbook has recently been removed from Launchpad. I think it was causing casual testers too much grief.] Here is a rundown on the component modules:

ume-launcher
I'm happy to report that it works, for the most part. UME-launcher is attractive and operates pretty smoothly with the switching of menus. But not everything is in those menus; e.g. all the package manager stuff is missing. But the regular Ubuntu menu on the menubar still operates so you can still access these programs in Netbook Remix. Also, if you have a background picture, it bleeds through the menu. Depending on what you have back there, that can be a nice effect or it can be distracting. Mine was distracting, so I set it to no background picture. (Later I found a more compatible background and used it.) I think it's this module that provides the tabbed browsing effect, with the tabs looking like those you could create in old OS9, except that the tabs are at the top. Each open window creates a tab in the menubar and you can switch from one to the next by clicking on the tab (as with tabbed browsing). This, combined with the full window feature (provided by Maximus - see below), is what makes Netbook Remix such a good solution on a small laptop.

human-netbook-theme
This is a variant of the default human theme in the windows, but it turns the menubar black and gives the text on it a white background. Menubar looks nice; the Human window theme isn't my favourite, but I can live with it. (Later I went back to an OSX theme I had installed previously. This took away the black menubar, but I decided I liked it better.)

window-picker-applet
This is what enables you to select and close windows from the tabs. Seems to work well.

maximus
This program is what causes all windows to take up the whole screen. I believe it's also the program that causes the windows to lose their title bar, which shows up instead in the menubar when it is the active window (thus making more space for your window). This program won't be activated at startup by default unless you add it to System -> Preferences -> Sessions (the command is "maximus"). Alternatively, you can start it up manually by typing the name of the program in a terminal window.

go-home-applet
This applet can be installed in the menubar and when you click on it, it hides all open windows and gives you access to the desktop. Quicker than minimizing a bunch of open, full-screen windows. Apparently, you can also drag and drop files/folders/url's onto it, which will then make these items accessible in the Favorites menu.

metacity
This isn't really part of Remix, but it was recently added to Launchpad. You might need it to have the theme work properly. I had it already installed before adding Remix; it may be installed in 8.04 by default.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix looks to have a lot of potential for all these small up-and-coming netbooks. It has a few minor bugs and it hasn't yet been set up to provide optimal use with the Intel Atom processor, but at present, it works very well as an add-on to a normal Ubuntu installation. You can also pick and choose which modules to use. Finally, if you don't like it, you can uninstall the modules and get back your old desktop. If you have Ubuntu installed on your netbook, I recommend that you give it a try.

Here are the instructions I used for installing Remix. This site also provides screenshots, so you can see what you're getting.

Last edited by Fox on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:28 am; edited 8 times in total
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice revue Fox... Cool

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Aqua. I just updated the review to include one module I missed, a url with instructions and pictures, and a few small details I missed earlier. Also, Launchpad for the Remix seems to have changed slightly, with the potentially troublesome ume-config file removed and metacity added. I also found instructions for making maximus work on startup. This has also been added to my review.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: