123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Apple TV 2.2 Update [U]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Apple TV 2.2 Update [U] Reply with quote

Apple Releases Apple TV 2.2 Update
Friday, October 3, 2008
Posted by: Brian

In addition to releasing the iTunes 8.0.1 update earlier this evening, Apple also quietly released the Apple TV 2.2 update. It appears to include security fixes, Genius functionality and On-the-Go playlists, the ability to purchase HD TV shows directly from the Apple TV, and a new Standby feature in the Settings menu. I could be wrong, but I don't see anything else in the way of new features. So please let us know if you find any more goodies.

[Update:] Apple has posted a complete list of the new features here.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1046.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:32 am; edited 5 times in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice little update.

That said, I lost my Apple TV in the iTune's source list again, but that may be the fault of iTunes 8.0.1. Another hard reset and removing it from iTunes brought it right back.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also make playlists for music videos now. That could be cool for parties. Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
A nice little update.

Agreed. I was hoping for HD shows and Genius, but the rest was a pleasant surprise. I like how you can press up on the remote and get information about what's playing. It's cool how you access chapters now too. Those were nice little additions. Having playlists for music videos was long overdue. I'm not as impressed with the addition of standby in the settings menu. I mean how hard is to hold down your play button for a couple seconds. Something you can do anywhere from within the interface. I would have preferred an option to completely power down. Standby modes are a waste of electricity in my book. It could also let this hotplate of a device cool down.
iLife's a Bitch!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound crazy at this point, but I'm still not impressed with the Apple TV 2.0 interface. I find it to be sluggish and redundant. Don't get me wrong though, it's always nice to see Apple add more features and content to the Apple TV. I also need to be honest on another front. The Boxee and XBMC news this week was the only reason that I took my Apple TV out of dry storage. I really haven't used it much since building a Shuttle SP35P2 system for HTPC over the summer.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
This might sound crazy at this point, but I'm still not impressed with the Apple TV 2.0 interface. I find it to be sluggish and redundant. Don't get me wrong though, it's always nice to see Apple add more features and content to the Apple TV. I also need to be honest on another front. The Boxee and XBMC news this week was the only reason that I took my Apple TV out of dry storage. I really haven't used it much since building a Shuttle SP35P2 system for HTPC over the summer.

I agree. I do love my AppleTV, but all it is, is a little computer running iTunes. I've been debating on building my own PC w/Vista, buying an other mini (or wait), or a Dell Studio Hybrid. ...I really want HDMI out and at least a 500GB HDD, as well as something that records.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Dell Studio Hybrid

I saw one of those at Best Buy the other day in blue. It's sort of a neat looking box in person.
iLife's a Bitch!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
Dell Studio Hybrid

I saw one of those at Best Buy the other day in blue. It's sort of a neat looking box in person.

It's just the Dell name that scares me. I wish the new mini came out soon, or that Sony made something similar in both price and quality ...Vista defeats the quality part though LOL
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Vista defeats the quality part though LOL

It defeats the quality part and then some. That said, I just bought an Asus Eee PC 1000H with XP. So it's a little hard to rag on Microsoft completely these days. I almost feel like a traitor.
iLife's a Bitch!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
Vista defeats the quality part though LOL

It defeats the quality part and then some. That said, I just bought an Asus Eee PC 1000H with XP. So it's a little hard to rag on Microsoft completely these days. I almost feel like a traitor.

I ended up getting an Acer Aspire One and installed Vista Business on it, cause I have to run SQL and Visual Studio, and XP Home couldn't handle all the features. It runs ok for a little PC, but I too feel like a traitor.

Sorry everyone for turning this into a Net-Book discussion Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: